Malcolm In The Middle Series Review (in progress)

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Show Info
Malcolm, a bright and intelligent boy, lives with his dysfunctional family while dealing with the troubles of being the middle child and a teenager.

Pilot

a fantastic first episode, everything about it was great. that gag with their older brother getting sent to military school was amazing not gonna lie. I don't think the episode ever got boring

overall thoughts: great episode

episode score: 9/10

Red Dress

I loved this one. There was a really weird/wholesome moment, where Reese tells Malcolm about protecting him from bullies. I loved how the whole episode stopped for that moment. I love character-driven shows, so seeing something like this in an episodic show makes me geek out so hard.

overall thoughts: that scene tho

episode score: 10/10

Home alone 4

Dewey is the best character in the show no contest. i love every single moment of this episode, it's so darn funny, also Dewey took one for the team, and that's pretty cool

overall thoughts: great character episode, and great episode in general

episode score: high 10/10

Shame

the twist with Malcolm not knowing the age of the kid was funny, yeah that's about it. pretty forgetable episode not gonna lie

overall thoughts: life is unfair

episode score: 6/10 (when a mid episode has this high of a score, you know it's good)

Malcolm Babysits

this one was great. i honestly thought Malcolm was gonna turn on the blender and kill the fish, is it just me, probably just me

overall thoughts: really good episode

Sleepover

pretty great episode that develops both Stevie and Malcolm's character, i didnt really enjoy the francis subplot i thought it was pretty boring

overall thoughts: the start is the best part

episode score: 8/10

Francis Escapes

a pretty emotional/funny episode. this show does drama very well, it does it in a way were it doesn't feel sappy, i dont know how to explain it. this is my favorite Francis episode so far

overall thoughts: really good

Krelboyne Picnic

it was a pretty funny episode, Caroline is a very weird character, but i dont mind her. i used to be great at math, until they added letters into it, and it all just fell apart

overall thoughts: pretty good

Lois vs. Evil

Craig (aka the best character) makes his return. this show balances humor with drama super well, i do feel that hal going to the hospital felt a bit forced tho

overall thoughts: loved it

Stock Car Races

very wholesome episode. i feel so bad for the guard, he was so friendly he didn't deserve what happened to him in this episode. the episode was pretty good, the Francis subplot got a little boring tho

Funeral

egg carried this whole episode, i love how he just shows up and they start treating him like part of the family, also Malcolm was a massive jerk in this episode.

Cheerleader

Dewey's subplot is the best part of the episode, i love seeing the world through his eyes, pretty funny stuff. i dont really care for Reese's character i find him very annoying, but still, pretty solid episode

overall thoughts: good

episode score: 6/10

Rollerskates

Seeing Walter White pull off those moves was the highlight of my day, Bryan Cranston actually spent 2 weeks practicing to pull off those moves. the episode was pretty good, the part where Malcolm reads the 10 pages of swear words was really funny. Malcolm sounds like he has a really bad cold

Bots And The Bees

Hal was really wholesome in this one, he reminds me of home Simpson, very naive but well meaning. the episode is great i love it

overall thoughts: ''we're having ice tea, you want some honey?'' - Phineas Flynn

Smunday

am glad they didn't do the ''you betrayed my trust'' trope, Francis actually took it pretty well. the episode is really funny, Lois' reaction to the letter is amazing

Waterpark (Season 1 finale)

Dewey was so wholesome in this one, i wish there were more Dewey/baby sitter moments, cause they're very wholesome when on screen

overall thoughts: great season finale

Last edited:

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
the twist with Malcolm not knowing the age of the kid was funny, yeah that's about it. pretty forgetable episode not gonna lie

episode score: 6/10 (when a mid episode has this high of a score, you know it's good)

I did like how it shows Malcolm's moral compass. Adds another layer to his character. Something that isn't highlighted in the later seasons due to how flanderized he became.

The kid deserved to get his ::dolphin noise:: kicked.

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
I did like how it shows Malcolm's moral compass. Adds another layer to his character. Something that isn't highlighted in the later seasons due to how flanderized he became.

The kid deserved to get his ::dolphin noise:: kicked.
that's my favorite part of Malcolm's character, am disappointed that they abandoned that aspect of his character in future seasons

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
This is an interesting idea for a series review. Nice reviews! I like this show, but I was never the biggest fan of Francis's subplots. I kinda didn't like how disconnected his plots were from the rest of family's.

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
This is an interesting idea for a series review. Nice reviews! I like this show, but I was never the biggest fan of Francis's subplots. I kinda didn't like how disconnected his plots were from the rest of family's.
i found most of the Francis subplots (at least the ones I've watched) to be very uninteresting and sometimes even boring

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
i found most of the Francis subplots (at least the ones I've watched) to be very uninteresting and sometimes even boring
I agree! Which did you think were worse? The ones where he was in military school, or the ones with him on the ranch?

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Show Info
Malcolm, a bright and intelligent boy, lives with his dysfunctional family while dealing with the troubles of being the middle child and a teenager.

Pilot

a fantastic first episode, everything about it was great. that gag with their older brother getting sent to military school was amazing not gonna lie. I don't think the episode ever got boring

Red Dress

I loved this one. There was a really weird/wholesome moment, where Reese tells Malcolm about protecting him from bullies. I loved how the whole episode stopped for that moment. I love character-driven shows, so seeing something like this in an episodic show makes me geek out so hard.

overall thoughts: that scene tho

Home alone 4

Dewey is the best character in the show no contest. i love every single moment of this episode, it's so darn funny, also Dewey took one for the team, and that's pretty cool

Shame

Malcolm Babysits

this one was great. i honestly thought Malcolm was gonna turn on the blender and kill the fish, is it just me, probably just me

Sleepover

pretty great episode that develops both Stevie and Malcolm's character, i didnt really enjoy the francis subplot i thought it was pretty boring

overall thoughts: the start is the best part

Francis Escapes

a pretty emotional/funny episode. this show does drama very well, it does it in a way were it doesn't feel sappy, i dont know how to explain it. this is my favorite Francis episode so far

overall thoughts: really good

Krelboyne Picnic

it was a pretty funny episode, Caroline is a very weird character, but i dont mind her. i used to be great at math, until they added letters into it, and it all just fell apart

Lois vs. Evil

Craig (aka the best character) makes his return. this show balances humor with drama super well, i do feel that hal going to the hospital felt a bit forced tho

overall thoughts: loved it

Stock Car Races

very wholesome episode. i feel so bad for the guard, he was so friendly he didn't deserve what happened to him in this episode. the episode was pretty good, the Francis subplot got a little boring tho

Funeral

egg carried this whole episode, i love how he just shows up and they start treating him like part of the family, also Malcolm was a massive jerk in this episode.

Cheerleader

Dewey's subplot is the best part of the episode, i love seeing the world through his eyes, pretty funny stuff. i dont really care for Reese's character i find him very annoying, but still, pretty solid episode

episode score: 6/10

Rollerskates

Seeing Walter White pull off those moves was the highlight of my day, Bryan Cranston actually spent 2 weeks practicing to pull off those moves. the episode was pretty good, the part where Malcolm reads the 10 pages of swear words was really funny. Malcolm sounds like he has a really bad cold

Bots And The Bees

Hal was really wholesome in this one, he reminds me of home Simpson, very naive but well meaning. the episode is great i love it

overall thoughts: ''we're having ice tea, you want some honey?'' - Phineas Flynn

Smunday

am glad they didn't do the ''you betrayed my trust'' trope, Francis actually took it pretty well. the episode is really funny, Lois' reaction to the letter is amazing

Waterpark (Season 1 finale)

Dewey was so wholesome in this one, i wish there were more Dewey/baby sitter moments, cause they're very wholesome when on screen

overall thoughts: great season finale

if a newer episode is rated lower than the pilot, i still consider it better than the pilot, cause the episodes are much more polished, and the jokes are much sharper

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
You’re forgetting that he was in Alaska before he was at the ranch.

The Francis subplots were abandoned after he got fired from the ranch and he just made several cameo appearances toward the end of the show.
Oh yeah! He wasn't in Alaska very long was he? I faintly remember that now. I actually thought he was only there for like an episode or two when I watched those episodes. But it sounds like he was there longer than a couple episodes.

And oh wow, I never noticed that in the later episodes that there weren't any Francis subplots! That sounds like a good thing since I never really got into the subplots.

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
Home alone 4

Smunday

Haha, "Smunday!" And interesting there's an ep called Home Alone 4, the actual Home Alone 4 came out a couple years later.

Something interesting is when I first watched this show long ago, I watched reruns. And I didn't know for a while at first that Malcolm was intelligent. Never saw an episode for a while that mentioned it...

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
I didn't overly like the episode, "Cheerleader." It's fine enough I guess. But we never Reese's love interest, Wendy, in the series again. So the cheerleader plot feels kinda pointless to me. I know this is common with TV but still, kinda bugs me when this happens.

And Red Dress is a great episode for such an early one in the show!

Back