• Moviebob

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • Modern SpongeBob Animation

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Cheekbob (season 6 version)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Noodlebob knock-off (Season 4-5)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 2004 produced early season 4 (season 3 lookalikes)

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Greenblattbob (Dying for Pie and Fear of a Krabby Patty)

Votes: 21 16.7%

• Total voters

EM.

Moby Dollar
It's funny because in the flash seasons of Johnny Test, the designs are based on the Animaniacs animation like episodes, but the movements are (or at least try) to look like the Fairly OddParents like animation episodes, at least in season 2.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Season 2 also had traditional animation half of the time, just done in Flash, so the line thickness was always the same then.

Yeah, sometimes season 2 had puppet animation, sometimes it had frame by frame, but it was still vectorized. Season 1 was entirely bitmap traced.

EM.

Moby Dollar
Something I noticed that SpongeBob and Johnny Test have in common in terms of art/animation, other than various episodes with a less fluid animation plus on model design, is that in the first few episodes of the first season that was a change for each of them have slightly brighter color palettes, while the later episodes have normal colors, here's what I mean.

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 10.50.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-09 at 10.51.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 10.53.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-09 at 10.56.35 PM.png

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Something I noticed that SpongeBob and Johnny Test have in common in terms of art/animation, other than various episodes with a less fluid animation plus on model design, is that in the first few episodes of the first season that was a change for each of them have slightly brighter color palettes, while the later episodes have normal colors, here's what I mean.

View attachment 12455View attachment 12456
View attachment 12457View attachment 12458

You have a sharper eye when it comes to animation, and are the two Johnny Test images from season 2

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Eh I didn't, in fact I used to think it looked almost exactly like the Fairly OddParents, and that Butch Hartman created or worked on it.

Ever notice how the first few episodes of the Chris Savino era of Dexter's Lab have bad dot crawl, and poor image quality that makes them look like they're cel animated. Watch the episode "The Grandfather of All Inventions" from 2001, and you'll see what I mean. The only way I can tell it's digital, because it still lacks the artifacts seen in Tartakovsky.

EM.

Moby Dollar
Ever notice how the first few episodes of the Chris Savino era of Dexter's Lab have bad dot crawl, and poor image quality that makes them look like they're cel animated. Watch the episode "The Grandfather of All Inventions" from 2001, and you'll see what I mean. The only way I can tell it's digital, because it still lacks the artifacts seen in Tartakovsky.
Yea, especially the backgrounds

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Yea, especially the backgrounds

I've also noticed that season 5 of family guy looks like a hybrid between classic and modern FG. Some scenes have minimal movement (as if it were an episode that came out today) with characters standing as still as a statue, while other scenes have sporadic movements like seasons 1-4 do.

EM.

Moby Dollar
I've also noticed that season 5 of family guy looks like a hybrid between classic and modern FG. Some scenes have minimal movement (as if it were an episode that came out today) with characters standing as still as a statue, while other scenes have sporadic movements like seasons 1-4 do.
I think season 5 was also the first to have CGI stuff in non special moments.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I've noticed that every cartoon network show that came out after Regular Show, has no change it art styles. Steven Universe may be an exception, but I'm not a fan of that show.

Last edited:

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I think season 5 was also the first to have CGI stuff in non special moments.

They had a scene in season 3 of Family Guy with CGI where they did a parody of Tron. Now as for Dexter's Lab, Tartokovsky feels so old school and 90's and retro, while Savino feels like a Kids WB 2000s Saturday morning cartoon. The dot crawl episodes of season 3 look like they came out in 2000, the rest of the season looks like it came out in 2006, with it's bright colors and all.

Combusto82

Does this look unsure to you?
i find one

As Spongebob Squarepants turns 20, we tell you why he and Patrick will give  you #FriendshipGoals

can you guys tell me what kind of art style is this?

Back