FOX preparing for a future without The Simpsons and Family Guy...and why Nickelodeon NEEDS to do the same with SpongeBob!

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I just read an article where the president of FOX is slowly preparing for the end of The Simpsons & Family Guy which was the catalyst for ordering four new cartoons and that got me thinking about Nick

I know it's hard to even believe or imagine but there will come a day where we'll have to say good-bye to SpongeBob SquarePants!

Because of this I feel Nickelodeon MUST follow FOX's lead and prepare for this eventuality

What are they doing RIGHT NOW to secure their future?

Nothing and that's my BIGGEST problem with the network

So my question is:

How can Nick start preparing right now for the end of SpongeBob?

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
If I were in charge of Nickelodeon, first I’d shoot myself in the head. Second, I’d conduct tons of marketing research before I even think of cancelling the show. Say SpongeBob ended today, what does Nickelodeon have that’ll keep people interested? Not in a million years do they have a good track record with cartoon creators, so I’d have to look for some other television venture that:
- 6-11 year old kids will enjoy, but other age groups can tolerate
- is profitable/doesn’t go over budget
- can last in the ratings for a long time, at least five years
- and can benefit from new technologies and attitudes without being absorbed by them
At the moment, Nick’s strategy has been to pump out game shows and reality shows, which just barely fit the criteria but don’t tick the boxes. I’ll contest that finding something that works is really hard, but not impossible.

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
Found an article that backs up what's being posted here.

I have my skepticles on, but it's true, these shows do eventually have to end. Spongebob is not as popular as it used to be, so if Nick doesn't find another Spongebob, they're cooked.

EM.

Moby Dollar
Good, the Simpsons has been stale for years and isn't very funny nowadays, now it seems like it's taking influence from Family Guy, and as for Family Guy, that needs to get off the air right now, Seth Macfarlane said it himself that he wants Family Guy to end but FOX won't let him, as for Spongebob I really have no thoughts on it yet, but I just want to say it's good that FOX is killing those two shows.

greatthing

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Trust me, The Simpsons, Family Guy and SpongeBob are the only things that keep FOX and Nickelodeon alive. They'll probably never end

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
There's no future for Nick without SpongeBob unless you get someone who can be in charge that sees that all Nick needs is something like they had in the 90s (commercials/promos/shows). It was fun watching all those Nickelodeon commercials but it's all focused on fart jokes now.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I don't think Nickelodeon is going to cancel SpongeBob because it still is their #1 cash maker. Nickelodeon cancelling SpongeBob would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Combusto82

Does this look unsure to you?
Mikurotoro92- i apologized then if The Simpsons will ended with 32 seasons then i would say 32 is enough like Elizabeth Taylor once said Eight is Enough (she was married to Richard Burton twice)

Anyways, if Spongebob will be cancelled then Nickelodeon will be not the same without it. Spongebob has been popular for 20 years

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
Nickelodeon is doing nothing to prepare for SpongeBob’s end. He’s their property, and by the looks of it, they’re doing everything in their power to continue to promote SpongeBob. They’re taking all the liberties they can to make money off of the show, using factors like nostalgia and merchandise to continue to make SpongeBob the latest hype. For his 20th anniversary, Nick went ALL OUT with the marketing! Look at all the new ways for them to make cash off of the most popular cartoon they own, y'know? Sigh. SpongeBob has his own shop now, his own YouTube channel, and a third movie on the way. This isn’t necessarily bad, but it shows that Nick is doing nothing to prepare for SpongeBob’s end, and is doing everything to continue to keep SpongeBob alive.

Last edited:

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
Nickelodeon is doing nothing to prepare for SpongeBob’s end. He’s their property, and by the looks of it, they’re doing everything in their power to continue to promote SpongeBob. They’re talking all the liberties they can to make money off of the show, using factors like nolstaligia and merchandise to continue to make SpongeBob the latest hype. For his 20th anniversary, Nick went ALL OUT with the marketing! Look at all the new ways for them to make cash off of the most popular cartoon they own, y'know? Sigh. SpongeBob has his own shop now, his own YouTube channel, and a third movie on the way. This isn’t necessarily bad, but it shows that Nick is doing nothing to prepare for SpongeBob’s end, and is doing everything to continue to keep SpongeBob alive.
SpongeBob's a big enough success to warrant his own streaming channel!
Come on, Nickelodeon/ViacomCBS, make it happen for for all those Roku or FireTV streaming box owners out there!

Either that, or do an entire channel dedicated to all of the SpongeBob episodes, including the Astrology with Squidward interstitials and other shorts they could show between episodes...

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
Yeah and that has been my main complaint all along

If Nick REALLY wants to find the "next big thing" perhaps they should be looking for the next Rugrats rather than the next SpongeBob...

It would be much easier to find a new cartoon on the level of Rugrats' success than SpongeBob SquarePants and that's exactly what Nickelodeon needed to do all along!

I believe that is how Nick can reverse their misfortunes

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
Yeah and that has been my main complaint all along

If Nick REALLY wants to find the "next big thing" perhaps they should be looking for the next Rugrats rather than the next SpongeBob...

It would be much easier to find a new cartoon on the level of Rugrats' success than SpongeBob SquarePants and that's exactly what Nickelodeon needed to do all along!

I believe that is how Nick can reverse their misfortunes
I agree. There's no way they can ever top SpongeBob...ever! Even with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Star Trek having new Nicktoons planned for the network...

I just hope they end SpongeBob with a legitimate farewell (like they did with Dangermouse) instead of an abrupt cancellation like most Nicktoons or cartoons aired on Nickelodeon had...maybe they should film the final episode at Nick Studios in Burbank, California (and have it hosted by Patchy the Pirate).

I'm not surprised by the fact that SpongeBob did get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame yet. Other famous cartoon characters, such as Bugs Bunny, The Simpsons and The Rugrats did (SpongeBob superseded The Rugrats in the Neilsen ratings and overall popularity to the point of usurping those toddler titans!).

Back