Random Observations

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me KĆ«lp0
šŸ¤“ There are little things you notice in your favorite shows that others may not have. It might regard logic, error, trivia... whatever it concerns, itā€™s probably not obvious. Sometimes itā€™s hard to put your thoughts, your observations, into words, but if you do, it will be cool to see if ā€œgreat minds think alikeā€.

Share something interesting youā€™ve noticed about SpongeBob SquarePants and the underwater world of Bikini Bottom. Hereā€™s one of my observations:

CHARACTER NAMES

SPONGE...Bob
SQUID...ward

Animal names: Look, I know they both have animals in their names, but for some reason it just registered how similar their names are in design compared to, letā€™s say, Patrickā€™s.

Logic: I know, I know. Squidward is an octopus. I also know why his name has the word ā€œsquidā€ in it. Itā€™s still interesting to note how SPONGE...Bob is a sponge and SQUID...ward is not a squid. I know the story, but itā€™s still sorta funny.

Punctuation: The B in SpongeBob is capitalized, but the W in Squidward is not. I suppose this is because ā€œSpongeBobā€ is two words when taken apart, and ā€œwardā€ is not a word. (šŸ˜‚ Oh gosh!) Squidward is like a fusion of squid and Edward, right? Whereas SpongeBob is kind of like saying Anne-Marie. Itā€™s a sort of double name. Heh.

ITā€™S LIKE BIKINI BOTTOM MYSTERIES, BUT NOT šŸ¤“

Last edited:

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me KĆ«lp0
MR. KRABS AND SUBTLE CHANGES IN CHARACTER

To me, Mr. Krabs seems more of an aging, pirate-y businessman in the first season, and from season 2 onwards, he seems more talkative, crazy, and has more personality traits. I mean, obviously thereā€™s going to be more character development in the seasons following the first one, as they get to play with the person that Mr. Krabs is... Really, I donā€™t know, itā€™s just something kinda interesting I noticed while watching ā€œKarate Choppersā€ versus, for example, ā€œKrab Borgā€. He just seems old, less wild, less money hungry, and seems to keep more to himself in season one. (Even the pitch of voice!) Heā€™s the grandpa character, if you will. šŸ˜„

Heā€™s all (for example) ā€œAargh, me bucko! Avast ye, shipmates! Back in the Navy...ā€ in season 1, and more ā€œAye, boy-o. Get back to work! Time is money, lad! If ya ainā€™t working hard, yer fired!ā€ in seasons following.

Like, obviously heā€™s much crazier and obsessed with money in the later seasons, and sure, he always talks and acts like a pirate throughout the entire series, but he just has a different air about him after season 1. I really noticed it after watching ā€œKarate Choppersā€. Go rewatch it if you havenā€™t seen it in a while.

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
Good stuff, good stuff. I'm all about this. After watching spongebob episodes probably 20 times each (up till season 8), I too look for fun tidbits like that.

I've noticed Sandy's character beginning to lose her edge. From seasons 1-3, she was a radical, kooky, fun sidekick. Then her science side came about, but she still had some flaws. (I don't wanna hear the Sandy's Rocket scientist thing, that was barely anything). But ever since season 9B started, they made her all good, positive, and less flawed. She seemed like a 2nd spongebob at that point. That's why I loved "Squirrel Jelly" because that brought back 2001 Sandy in a way.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me KĆ«lp0
Good stuff, good stuff. I'm all about this. After watching spongebob episodes probably 20 times each (up till season 8), I too look for fun tidbits like that.

I've noticed Sandy's character beginning to lose her edge. From seasons 1-3, she was a radical, kooky, fun sidekick. Then her science side came about, but she still had some flaws. (I don't wanna hear the Sandy's Rocket scientist thing, that was barely anything). But ever since season 9B started, they made her all good, positive, and less flawed. She seemed like a 2nd spongebob at that point. That's why I loved "Squirrel Jelly" because that brought back 2001 Sandy in a way.

Very true! In fact, when ā€œSquirrel Jellyā€ rolled around, I initially thought Sandy was out of character! Goes to show you how much they altered her personality, as I actually forgot what she used to be like back then.

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
I've also noticed that season 1 had some unique background fish that we never see again. They kept the same roster of background fish from season 2 until about season 10, when they created some new ones. I always like looking at the background fish

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me KĆ«lp0
I've also noticed that season 1 had some unique background fish that we never see again. They kept the same roster of background fish from season 2 until about season 10, when they created some new ones. I always like looking at the background fish

Ah, yes. Theyā€™re always doing something interesting. Personally, I often donā€™t like when newer background characters are created, Gale Doppler, for example, as they arenā€™t usually a pleasant sight. But maybe thatā€™s just me being nit picky.

Back