Am I the only one who thinks Spongebob's 20th anniversary seems...forced?

JaiSponge

Imitation Krab
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the show and the current crew who's worked on it for lasting that long, but to me the 20th anniversary seems so artificial, especially since it was supposed to end long before even its 10th anniversary. From my perspective, the show didn't last this long naturally, it only lasted this long because Nickelodeon made it last this long. But that's my take on it. Any thoughts?

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
You're not alone

EVERYTHING that Nickelodeon is doing for SpongeBob seems fake!

Disney gave Mickey Mouse a real anniversary last year with his 90th "True Original" initiative

Nick botched SpongeBob SquarePants' 20 "Best Year Ever" celebration and it SHOWS

They need to stop prolonging the inevitable by artifically extending its life for the sole purpose of profits

As SpongeBob said in "Selling Out":

Where's the love?

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the show and the current crew who's worked on it for lasting that long, but to me the 20th anniversary seems so artificial, especially since it was supposed to end long before even its 10th anniversary. From my perspective, the show didn't last this long naturally, it only lasted this long because Nickelodeon made it last this long. But that's my take on it. Any thoughts?
For the 10th anniversary and Season 4 (I like Season 4) It felt kinda wrong to watch it as it was supposed to end before that. But I recall one of the Spongebob crew members saying that before his passing, Hillenburg wanted the show to continue. So no I dont feel like that anymore, now camp coral on the other hand hmph, thats a whole other topic tho

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
If Stephen Hillenburg was still alive he would certainly NOT want the show to go on forever

I think Nick will end it after the 3rd movie

I just don't see SpongeBob making it to its 30th anniversary!
I agree, not forever personally I wouldn't want it to go on forever, a few more years would be fine but we will see. At the moment I dont feel like im watching something that was "forced" since Hillenburg oversaw these episodes, and Tom Kenny himself said that before Hillenburg passed, when he knew he had ALS, he created a roadmap for the future Spongebob when he would pass away on how it would carry on. I dont want to see Spongebob past 2030, but we will wait and see.

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
Nickelodeon needs a NEW hit desperately because SpongeBob can't always be depended on!
I think they should end the series after the third movie. It's not like Nickelodeon doesn't have other cash cows they could milk for potential profits...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for example, has been making money since their first cartoon debuted in 1987. Before that it was a comic book created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird. TMNT went on to great success after the first cartoon was made and syndicated. The franchise shows no signs of a slowdown, unlike SpongeBob, who has gone on more than long enough...

Even if TMNT is available, a new hit is also an option...

Back