Show News "Kamp Koral" SB Prequel title greenlit by Nickelodeon!

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
SpongeBob and Patrick should just have their story arcs told with in the main series. Kamp Koral could have easily just been a mini series with in the main series without aging down the characters and no CGI. Yes, summer camps for adults do exist. Spin-offs should just be used for supporting characters.
Make a show about Fred or Bubble Bass. Old Man Jenkins too.
If SpongeBob had a really strong secondary character (or two), this might actually be a great idea. Happy Days had a few really successful spin-offs because they had a couple of really popular (and funny) secondary characters.

Ever hear of Robin Williams? :p He made his big break as Mork, a one-off character on Happy Days that proved so popular they gave him his own show, Mork & Mindy.

Unfortunately, I don't know if any secondary character has the mass-to-volume ratio to attract that kind of success. My best bet would be Sandy (although I still consider her a main character). Perhaps "Sandy the Science Squirrel" or "Sandy's Ranch"... that sort of thing. ;)

Chris

Floridian
If SpongeBob had a really strong secondary character (or two), this might actually be a great idea. Happy Days had a few really successful spin-offs because they had a couple of really popular (and funny) secondary characters.

Ever hear of Robin Williams? :p He made his big break as Mork, a one-off character on Happy Days that proved so popular they gave him his own show, Mork & Mindy.

Unfortunately, I don't know if any secondary character has the mass-to-volume ratio to attract that kind of success. My best bet would be Sandy (although I still consider her a main character). Perhaps "Sandy the Science Squirrel" or "Sandy's Ranch"... that sort of thing. ;)
Sandy is definitely main. Plankton too. Larry the Lobster secondary. I think he could have his own show.

warblower99

Chop those gravy bars
I'm not so sure about this. Stephen clearly did not want any spinoffs of his show, yet Nick's doing just that, for more money, and after the man himself passed.

I think it's heartless of them to do this. No matter if the show is good or not, they outright disrespected the man who kept them alive.

ThatSkynyrdKid70

2 year club
The fact that Nick is doing this in the first place is an absolutely disgusting, greedy move, and I honestly hope it fails hard. Hillenburg never wanted any spinoffs and had he not passed away, he sure as hell wouldn't allow this.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
As much as I enjoy reading all the bitter diatribes against this [as yet unreleased] show, can we at least try to take the liberal and not the selfish point of view? Who knows, the show might actually be good. Whatever its fate, it's going to be made. At the very least, let's stop beating the "Stephen wouldn't have wanted this" horse to death.

Once the show comes out, I'll be happy to read some well-thought-out criticism. Until then, the self-righteous indignation says more about some of y'all than it does about Nickelodeon's corporate decision-making. :rolleyes:

warblower99

Chop those gravy bars
As much as I enjoy reading all the bitter diatribes against this [as yet unreleased] show, can we at least try to take the liberal and not the selfish point of view? Who knows, the show might actually be good. Whatever its fate, it's going to be made. At the very least, let's stop beating the "Stephen wouldn't have wanted this" horse to death.

Once the show comes out, I'll be happy to read some well-thought-out criticism. Until then, the self-righteous indignation says more about some of y'all than it does about Nickelodeon's corporate decision-making. :rolleyes:
I feel a bit sorry for hopping on this "Steve wouldn't like this" bandwagon myself, but what you said's just sadly the case. As I said before, "No matter if the show is good or not, they outright disrespected the (deceased) man who kept them alive." Plus, they're doing it just for the money and to maybe promote the new movie coming out.

Lizstaria

Ravioli, ravioli, give me the formuoli
It's hard to really form an opinion, since who can really know how it'll turn out, but for the franchise's sake i hope it's good or at least watchable

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
Some new details were revealed about the show in a recent interview by Nickelodeon president on World Screen.
TV KIDS: Tell us about how Kamp Koral came about, and what the plans are for the SpongeBob universe.
ROBBINS: Literally my second or third day here, I was asked to go to a SpongeBob season 12 or 13 pickup meeting. I asked a lot of questions. What I realized is that we’ve made a lot of shows over many, many years, but the shows basically stayed the same. We had all these great characters in the world of SpongeBob, but we never individually explored their origin stories or their histories or put them in their own environments. So we decided to put a room together and really look at what the SpongeBob universe looks like. And out of that came the Kamp Koral idea and actually a couple of other ideas. Kamp Koral is the first show. It will be a limited summer series. I just saw amazing animation tests and conceptual art that blew us all away. It’s basically about how Patrick and SpongeBob met in summer camp when they were kids. It’s not SpongeBob babies, so to speak, but it is in CG, and they’re younger and cuter. Sandy is really cute in it. She has braces. It’s really fun and it looks different but still feels like SpongeBob. I couldn’t be more excited about it.

hastaluego

Floating Shopping List
I'll watch it, assuming the main voice cast is the same. But I'm not happy about the whole retconning Sandy and SpongeBob's meeting bit.

BTW, I just want to ask has anyone involved with Kamp Koral actually confirm that the idea of this spinoff wasn't conceived until after Stephen's death? Because the interview above said the idea of the spinoff was concieved during a Season 12 or Season 13 pickup meeting and he was still involved to a degree at least until the Pineapple RV voice recording sessions. I know at one time he was against spinoffs but if he was consulted towards the end of his life, could he have changed his mind by that time? I mean Kamp Koral has something to do with the plot of the new movie and that's been in the works for a few years now at least.

Last edited:
Back