181b. Squid Baby

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Welp, this episode. Pretty much everyone decided to hate this episode because Mr. Enter, the all knowing cartoon goddess declared it as a horrible episode, calling it a "fetish episode" and a "squidward torture pr0n".

Please, people, get your own opinion. I'm so tired of seeing everyone copy paste everything Mr. Enter says as if they can't think for themselves.

As for this episode, I won't deny it's a bad episode, but it's not the worst. There were a few funny moments, but overall this was a kind of disturbing episode. Mr. Krabs wasn't very nice here either. But this episode certainly isn't as bad as people (Mr. Enter and his fanbase) make it out to be. But that's just my opinion.

Thank you!

DigDugtrio

Floating Shopping List
Honest Slug said:
Or maybe people hate it because it's a terrible episode? I don't think any of the general complaints are asking too much out of this episode.
It is a bad episode, I'm not saying it isn't. I do understand a lot of the complaints people make, but to put it in perspective, this episode wasn't hated on as much before Mr. Enter made his review. I feel people who either disregarded this episode or never thought too much about it didn't really say anything about it until he made his opinion public. As soon as he made his review his fanbase did the usual thing, where they copy pasted everything he said in his video on all review forums and comment sections.

If you are not a Mr. Enter fan and you dislike this episode, I'm sorry if I came of as thinking *nobody* can dislike this episode, and I respect those who actual have their own thoughts and opinions about episodes like this. I've just gotten tired of this band-wagonning stuff.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Squid Baby (S9-E181-B)

THIS EPISODE IS DISGUSTING, MEAN-SPIRITED AND ::dolphin noise::ING STUPID!!! I hate the close-up of Squidward's diaper full of crap :patgross: because I almost throw up in there. I also hate Mr. Krabs for not caring about Squid's amnesia. He only cared about the customers and money. And really, doctor? Head-go-boom-boom-itis? Sounds like you're an amateur doctor. It's supposed to be amnesia. The ending is SO BAD, I'll never want to watch this ::dolphin noise::ty, crappy episode again! Honestly, I hate you Casey and Zeus.

Final Score = 0/10 :patboo:

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Good lord, this episode is just horrendous. Where do I even begin? The plot is dumb and it seems like one of the writers has a strange fantasy... It's a Squidward Torture Episode, and watching Squidward have to go through all this is not easy or fun to watch. At the very least, Squidward isn't in pain the whole episode. Well, he isn't knowingly in pain. The episode is grating on the eyes and ears, having to hear Squidward crying, as well as seeing his diaper and whatnot. And the episode just plain isn't funny, and the ending just makes this episode even more disturbing than it already is.

Disturbing, mean-spirited, idiotic, and disgusting. Not a good look SpongeBob. 1.3/10.

TheHallMonitor52

Imitation Krab
HIGHLIGHT:Spongebob and patrick actually care about squidward's condition
LOWLIGHT: Squidwards diaper.... ewww.....

By heavens this episode is bad, i mean compared to all other episodes of the season this is one of the worst, its stupid, boring and gross

1/10-ATROCIOUS EPISODE

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Gonna post all my SBC worst episode list commentations, but slightly edited

For those who don't know, this is my least favorite episode of the whole series. Out of all of them, this is my least favorite episode, for tons of reasons.

The biggest reason, of course, is the horrible idea of humor in this episode. Some stuff can just be painfully unfunny, like Ugandan Knuckles, and some stuff can be unfunny to the point of severe annoyance, like dabbing, but the idea of humor in Squid Baby is sickening, offensive, and morally wrong. The humor is offensive and morally wrong because it's trying to suggest that the stuff Squidward is going through, literally getting a mental illness that makes him basically a baby, is funny, and that it's funny for mentally harmed people to go through terrible things, which is the exact opposite of the truth. The truth is that these things are horrible. People mentally becoming babies is a real thing. This actually happens to people. And it's terrible that this happens. I don't have any actual experience of this, but I know it'd be terrible. This whole episode just makes fun of mental illnesses, when they can be seriously horrible, which is extremely unfunny and outright offensive. I have some mental problems myself (I have autism for example) and some people really do act like it's funny and treat me like a piece of crap for it, and think it's funny to do that. That's what this episode is doing. It's telling me that anything bad coming as a result of mental problems is funny, and something to laugh about, which is just horrible.

And it's not like anything else here isn't horrible either. Oh great, another unfunny squid abuse episode, really wanted that. Oh and it's even worse than normal, because it's Squidward suffering a major mental illness making him mentally a baby, which is already terrible enough, but then he gets his head constantly slammed into stuff for literally no reason!!! Seriously, that is THE worst running gag in the whole series! The doctor tells them to protect Squidward's head so he isn't permanently mentally damaged, and yet they just ignore it and let his head be slammed a billion times and act like it's so funny!!!!!!!! It's not!!! It's extremely unfunny and such a horrible gag, it's disgusting how they actually did that in the episode. The squid abuse in this episode makes even Ink Lemonade look "tame"! And then to make it worse, they make slamming his head bring Squidward back to normal! Not only is this a really stupid cop-out ending, but this also suggests to little kids watching that you can fix mental problems and so on by slamming their head, which is a horrible lesson to be teaching them, considering that could damage them even more! This episode is also extremely annoying too, even without the mental illnesses stuff there's stuff the running gag I mentioned, plus many other annoying things throughout the episode such as the beginning where Spongebob and Patrick play with baby toys! Not only is that OOC, but it's extremely annoying! In fact, I'd even say this episode is more annoying than YM&M, which is saying a lot since that episode is extremely annoying already! This episode is also extremely gross too, a lot of the things that happen here is very gross, and the animation makes it even grosser! Squidward's poopy diaper is so gross! And then there's also the characterization, where the only good characters are Squidward, who is only even mentally sane for like 2 minutes total here and is a baby the rest of the time, and the doctor who actually bothers to care about Squidward! Mr. Krabs is a horrible character here, Squidward is severely mentally harmed and can barely even function, and yet Mr Krabs still makes him work!!!! That's horrible! Babies shouldn't be working! It's basically abuse and is absolutely horrible. And then there's SpongeBob and Patrick, who at least "take care of Squidward"....... except they really don't care about him at all, since they let him just have his head be horribly damaged, thus basically allowing him to be stuck like this forever!!! They're not caring for him, they're abusing him themselves!

The plot and premise is also stupid too! I mean come on, it partially rip-offs rock-a-bye bivalve but also makes it way worse! I mean literally, it's about Squidward getting a horrible mental illness that basically turns him into a baby, gets his head constantly slammed due to lack of caring from Spongebob and Patrick, after being told to prevent that, then go into the krusty krab where Mr Krabs forces Squidward to work despite being like this, then Spongebob needs to change his diaper, and then a cop-out ending. It's such a stupid and horrible premise and I can't even believe it was even thought of, and then approved and became an episode!!! You'd think this would come from terrible people who finds mental illnesses funny, but I very highly doubt the creators of this were bad people, and there's still the fact that this had to be approves by Nickelodeon and it was, which is why I'm shocked it even exists and was created in the first place. And there's almost no good things about this episode either. I liked the title card, the my leg joke, and the weather changing as the mood changed, but that's the only good stuff, and there is so much horrible stuff throughout the episode.

So yeah, In conclusion, this is why this is my least favorite episode of the series. The worst running gag of the series, a horrible and offensive sense of humor, terrible premise and plot, horrible squid abuse, horrible characterization, very annoying, gross, cop-out and stupid ending, and so on....... There's even more bad things about this episode, but I haven't seen it in a while (I avoid this episode lol), so I forget some stuff. But yeah, this episode has an extremely huge amount of horrible things about it that makes me hate it so much. I admit I might not have explained why I hate it so much very good, I'm not good at explaining my thoughts, but I hope this was good enough.

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
DigDugtrio said:
Welp, this episode. Pretty much everyone decided to hate this episode because Mr. Enter, the all knowing cartoon goddess declared it as a horrible episode, calling it a "fetish episode" and a "squidward torture pr0n".
I can confirm for myself and others that this is incredibly false. I know there are people (including me) who watched the episode back when it premiered and thought it was bad WAY WAY before that review. And I doubt that a lot of people started hating it after he reviewed it. This is just one of those episodes that just doesn't pass the test of time. Even though it's weird to use those terms on this episode, I can't say I disagree with him

With that said, this episode pretty much implies that running into ice machines cure head trauma. Hitler could review this episode and I'd still hate it.

Yep, this episode is pretty bad. Nothing in it is funny, there's a lot of Squid abuse, and I didn't find the baby humor entertaining. That being said, it's still tolerable. The worst is yet to come.

Ranking so far:
1. License to Milkshake (A)
2. Patrick-Man! (B)
3. Extreme Spots (B)
4. Gary's New Toy (B)
5. Squirrel Record (C)
6. Squid Baby (E)

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Yep, this episode is pretty bad. Nothing in it is funny, there's a lot of Squid abuse, and I didn't find the baby humor entertaining. That being said, it's still tolerable. The worst is yet to come.

Ranking so far:
1. License to Milkshake (A)
2. Patrick-Man! (B)
3. Extreme Spots (B)
4. Gary's New Toy (B)
5. Squirrel Record (C)
6. Squid Baby (E)
I see your opinion on Squid Baby is decreasing :D

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Before I review this episode, I'm gonna list all of the things that I like about it.

1. The beginning with Squidward meditating
2. The reference to the "My Leg!" gag

And... yeah, that's pretty much all I liked about this episode. This episode is nothing more than immature baby and fart jokes, with barely any substance backing it up. I will say I don't despise it as much as others have expressed, but it's still a pretty bad episode. It's also a ripoff of Rock-a-Bye Bivalve, which doesn't help it because it just reminds me of an episode that I'd rather be watching.

Bad episode (3/10)

1. License to Milkshake (7)
2. Extreme Spots (7)
3. Gary's New Toy (6)
4. Squirrel Record (5)
5. Patrick-Man! (5)
6. Squid Baby (3)

phantomsponge1148

Imitation Krab
Did the writer have a AB/DL fetish? “My face! my face! also my leg but mostly my face!” Had me chuckling but that doesn’t save this episode from being terrible.

1/10

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
I used to think this episode wasn't that bad, just kinda meh. But my hatred for this episode has grown over the years... I think this is the most disgusting episode of the entire show. Much grosser than Splinter imo. Just an awful, disgusting, low-brow, inappropriate, and garbage episode.

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I used to really like this one but now i think its just meh. I thought the idea was kinda clever but i just think some of it was just very gross for example the ending. First meh episode of season 9!

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
License to Milkshake (Perfect)
Patrick-Man! (Amazing)
Squirrel Record (Great)
Extreme Spots (Good)
Squid Baby (Okay)
Gary's New Toy (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Good lord, this episode is just horrendous. Where do I even begin? The plot is dumb and it seems like one of the writers has a strange fantasy... It's a Squidward Torture Episode, and watching Squidward have to go through all this is not easy or fun to watch. At the very least, Squidward isn't in pain the whole episode. Well, he isn't knowingly in pain. The episode is grating on the eyes and ears, having to hear Squidward crying, as well as seeing his diaper and whatnot. And the episode just plain isn't funny, and the ending just makes this episode even more disturbing than it already is.

Disturbing, mean-spirited, idiotic, and disgusting. Not a good look SpongeBob. 1.3/10.
Woo boy, now that's a vintage review! Let's update it.

Can’t wait to see what our first HD widescreen notorious episode is about to offer. I hadn’t seen “Squid Baby” in…actually not that long. I’m pretty sure it had a rerun sometime earlier this year. I wasn’t actively watching it, but it was there. And now here I am, rewatching this episode with intent. Let me get this out of the way right now—I can’t stand de-aging as a trope. I’ve never liked it. “Goo Goo Gas” got a pass because it did this trope entirely as a gag, and not as an actual character dynamic thing (Plankton wasn’t taking care of these babies, they were just there, and that’s the difference). So, anyway, with this statement in mind, you might be able to guess where my thoughts on this episode are going.

Squidward’s relaxation time here at the beginning of the episode actually looks really nice, and now I want a bathtub and candles, as I have neither of those LMAO. As you might expect, Squidward is very rudely interrupted from his relaxation by his favorite neighbors, SpongeBob and Patrick. I guess it has been a little bit since we’ve seen this exact trio, right? Not since, like, “Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom”.

Remember how last review I was talking about how happy I was that this show was leaning towards the adult side of the child-adult line? Well I guess SpongeBob SquarePants took it personal, because why are SpongeBob and Patrick playing with literal baby toys??? And that says nothing about the aforementioned de-aging which ends up being the entire plot of the episode. Squidward looks…weird as a full-grown baby, but I’m not even going to mention that. And the constant head trauma he gets is…not great. I’ve already said before that I don’t believe in “Squidward Torture P0rns”, and I still don’t, but that also doesn’t mean I find seeing this kind of slapstick very entertaining. To me, slapstick is fun when it’s overexaggerated. In this episode, it’s hardly exaggerated enough, so it’s not funny, and sometimes it actually makes me wince.

Also not helping is the fact that some people in this episode are annoying and do not help the problem. Yeah that’s right, we’re bringing back Patrick being an annoyance. We were doing so good too! He isn’t awful here, but he ain’t good neither. And lastly, I truly do not care for this plot of SpongeBob and Patrick taking care of Squidward like he was their own kid. This is why I don’t like de-aging, because Squidward is a full adult, he can’t consent because he now has the mind of a baby, and everything is just freaking weird and odd. And if I want to see SpongeBob and Patrick as dysfunctional parents, I’d go watch “Rock-A-Bye Bivalve”, where the baby is actually a baby and not a character we already know.

After way too long of nothing good happening, we move to the Krusty Krab (at least we get a cool background with the rain), where we get more not good things happening. At this point I’m bored and perhaps a little uncomfortable. And then this episode exhibits the end stages of capitalism with Squidward as a baby being forced to man the register. At this point my mask is fully off so that sentence shouldn’t even phase you. At least the my leg joke was pretty funny. That’s about it though. It’s just frustrating that no one can see that Squidward is a literal baby and cannot do anything right now, and SpongeBob is somehow blamed for everything that’s going on, when Patrick is the one that needs to pick up the slack (and he’s conveniently disappeared by this point). Finally, after more head trauma, Squidward is an adult again, with a poopy diaper. At least he wasn’t conscious for all of this.

“Squid Baby” is both deserving and undeserving of the ire towards it. It’s not a good episode, that’s for sure, but it’s not the spawn of the devil either. It’s just not pleasant. De-aging? Not good. The head trauma? Not good. The humor? Not good. The plot? Not good. The writing? A joke. Just a whole lot of not good. So now the question is, what tier do I put it in? Well, I guess it depends on how much the episode actually upset me. And it upset me quite a bit, honestly. It was just weird, hard to watch in places, and frustrating. I’m thinking Bad-tier.

Episode Tier: Bad
Episode Score:
3.5/10

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
Woo boy, now that's a vintage review! Let's update it.

Can’t wait to see what our first HD widescreen notorious episode is about to offer. I hadn’t seen “Squid Baby” in…actually not that long. I’m pretty sure it had a rerun sometime earlier this year. I wasn’t actively watching it, but it was there. And now here I am, rewatching this episode with intent. Let me get this out of the way right now—I can’t stand de-aging as a trope. I’ve never liked it. “Goo Goo Gas” got a pass because it did this trope entirely as a gag, and not as an actual character dynamic thing (Plankton wasn’t taking care of these babies, they were just there, and that’s the difference). So, anyway, with this statement in mind, you might be able to guess where my thoughts on this episode are going.

Squidward’s relaxation time here at the beginning of the episode actually looks really nice, and now I want a bathtub and candles, as I have neither of those LMAO. As you might expect, Squidward is very rudely interrupted from his relaxation by his favorite neighbors, SpongeBob and Patrick. I guess it has been a little bit since we’ve seen this exact trio, right? Not since, like, “Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom”.

Remember how last review I was talking about how happy I was that this show was leaning towards the adult side of the child-adult line? Well I guess SpongeBob SquarePants took it personal, because why are SpongeBob and Patrick playing with literal baby toys??? And that says nothing about the aforementioned de-aging which ends up being the entire plot of the episode. Squidward looks…weird as a full-grown baby, but I’m not even going to mention that. And the constant head trauma he gets is…not great. I’ve already said before that I don’t believe in “Squidward Torture P0rns”, and I still don’t, but that also doesn’t mean I find seeing this kind of slapstick very entertaining. To me, slapstick is fun when it’s overexaggerated. In this episode, it’s hardly exaggerated enough, so it’s not funny, and sometimes it actually makes me wince.

Also not helping is the fact that some people in this episode are annoying and do not help the problem. Yeah that’s right, we’re bringing back Patrick being an annoyance. We were doing so good too! He isn’t awful here, but he ain’t good neither. And lastly, I truly do not care for this plot of SpongeBob and Patrick taking care of Squidward like he was their own kid. This is why I don’t like de-aging, because Squidward is a full adult, he can’t consent because he now has the mind of a baby, and everything is just freaking weird and odd. And if I want to see SpongeBob and Patrick as dysfunctional parents, I’d go watch “Rock-A-Bye Bivalve”, where the baby is actually a baby and not a character we already know.

After way too long of nothing good happening, we move to the Krusty Krab (at least we get a cool background with the rain), where we get more not good things happening. At this point I’m bored and perhaps a little uncomfortable. And then this episode exhibits the end stages of capitalism with Squidward as a baby being forced to man the register. At this point my mask is fully off so that sentence shouldn’t even phase you. At least the my leg joke was pretty funny. That’s about it though. It’s just frustrating that no one can see that Squidward is a literal baby and cannot do anything right now, and SpongeBob is somehow blamed for everything that’s going on, when Patrick is the one that needs to pick up the slack (and he’s conveniently disappeared by this point). Finally, after more head trauma, Squidward is an adult again, with a poopy diaper. At least he wasn’t conscious for all of this.

“Squid Baby” is both deserving and undeserving of the ire towards it. It’s not a good episode, that’s for sure, but it’s not the spawn of the devil either. It’s just not pleasant. De-aging? Not good. The head trauma? Not good. The humor? Not good. The plot? Not good. The writing? A joke. Just a whole lot of not good. So now the question is, what tier do I put it in? Well, I guess it depends on how much the episode actually upset me. And it upset me quite a bit, honestly. It was just weird, hard to watch in places, and frustrating. I’m thinking Bad-tier.

Episode Tier: Bad
Episode Score: 3.5/10
Can’t wait for tomorrow now you’ll be reviewing two infamous episodes in a row Lmao

Back