234b. ChefBob

J-444

Floating Shopping List
Without any spoilers, for those waiting for the U.S. airing (as I caught the leaks), this is fun, and nicely engaging(...? - I've seen it once, yesterday). Much more than Patnocchio.

I'd expect a plain-good episode, roughly.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I don’t really like this episode. 5/10

LARRY22

Giant Clam
8.5/10 Good episode.

I really hope everyone is aware that this episode has hit a new record low in ratings for the show. It's the worst in the whole show.

It got 1.04 million viewers. Even less than 'Sanctuary!', and 'High Sea Diving'

8.5/10 Good episode.
I really hope everyone is aware that this episode has hit a new record low in ratings for the show. It's the worst in the whole show.
It got 1.04 million viewers. Even less than 'Sanctuary!', and 'High Sea Diving'

I'm aware, and that doesn't spell good news for the show itself. If ratings continue to be like this throughout next year, I feel like Season 12 might be the end, as hard as I find that to believe. Maybe unless the third movie does extraordinarily well.

I'm aware, and that doesn't spell good news for the show itself. If ratings continue to be like this throughout next year, I feel like Season 12 might be the end, as hard as I find that to believe. Maybe unless the third movie does extraordinarily well.

The low ratings have nothing to do with SpongeBob itself. Television viewership is on a steep decline. It's still Nickelodeon's biggest moneymaker, and they'd be crazy to cancel it.

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
This episode sucks, it feels like Family Guy wrote it, and the My Leg acknowledgement is forced and not funny, unlike all the Shrek movies which are 100% humorous.

ChefBob 0%
Shrek 100%

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I was impressed by the animation here, very loose and stretchy, owing to the fact that ChefBob himself can’t do too much. It’s got some great jokes aswell, but more on that in my review 6 months from now.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Compensating for a severe lack of any real dialogue humor within the past 3 years, ChefBob features a new character whose main shtick is insulting people. Seriously, I haven’t heard this much dialogue humor in a SpongeBob episode in many, many years. Maybe it hasn’t been that long, maybe all my suffering through Don’t Feed the Clowns & No Pictures Allowed brainwashed me. Oh well.
ChefBob is an interesting episode with a plotline quite similar to Squid Wood. The only difference is, not everyone’s an ignorant buffoon aside from Squidward. It’s just the Bikini Bottomites this time. I’d hate to say this is “Squid Wood done right”, because I frankly find that a lazy way to express one’s feeling towards an episode. I did that back when Sanctuary! came out, and referred to it as “A Pal for Gary” done right. Makes absolute zero sense, I know, but 9B just started at the time, and we were all busy sucking its [Bob Dole '96], for not being of Post-Movie quality. Such things as character abuse for comedic effect were the norms of the time, and we were just happy for such a drastic change to the series.

In all fairness, comparing this to Squid Wood is practically unavoidable. They’re both episodes where SpongeBob uses an obnoxious puppet to entertain a crowd of brainless customers at the Krusty Krab. This episode better handles this plotline, solely on execution. The open-kitchen element opens up way to SpongeBob entertaining the customers, it’s not like he just randomly pulls this puppet out for his own delight, and the customers happen to fall in love with the puppet for some idiotic reason. The setup to this episode properly creates the character of ChefBob, and I even like how Squid’s sarcasm formed ChefBob’s personality. There’s legitimate reason for ChefBob to behave this way, and no character is solely tormented as a result of this personality. Squidward, SpongeBob, and Krabs are equally treated like dirt by this creature, a far better alternative than an Annoy Squidward Day. It makes for a good conflict between the crew and this puppet.
As for the humor, this episode is packed with one-liners, on behalf of Mr. ChefBob. Yeah, his insults are pathetically basic, but it’s a kids show, what can you do? I do like the attempt to include a little more snappy dialogue aside from just ChefBob’s insults. Squidward’s line about being SpongeBob’s friend (“That’s more insulting”) was hilarious, and I even like the insult Squid originally used that ChefBob stole. There’s quite a bit of good gags in this episode, Squidward’s vanishing of embarrassment (And his reappearance), the tear that comes out of the insulted fish’s eye…alright that’s all I got. It’s still a pretty entertaining episode, even if it’s not entirely funny, I still understand the humor in a lot of this episode’s jokes, it’s more than just a reliance on wacky hijinks.

As for ChefBob, I think he made for an alright antagonist. Don’t bring the argument “Why is he sentient?” Seriously? This series has bent the logic of reality on multiple occasions (The icecream in Roller Cowards, Squid Wood, Bubble Buddy, Bubble Buddy Jr, etc.). His comeuppance is more enjoyable than seeing him spew out 4th grade-tier insults, not gonna lie, I really liked the scene when Squid kicks him out onto the road. Seeing him crushed multiple times gave me a strange satisfaction (I guess making up for how awful Squid Wood’s ending was).
In my book, this is a Good Episode. It’s got enough humor to keep it passing, and it’s paced well enough to keep from being boring. The story isn’t anything special, but it didn’t have any real flaws in it. I give it around a 7.3/10

Reactions: Reg
This episode is Squid Wood done right. It's funny and it has great tension. That's about all I have to say.

THE LIST:
1. Scavenger Pants (A+)
2. Teacher's Pests (A+)
3. Bottle Burglars (A+)
4. The Legend Of Boo-Kini Bottom (A+)
5. Squid Noir (A)
6. Chatterbox Gary (A)
7. Man Ray Returns (A)
8. Doodle Dimension (A)
9. Krusty Kleaners (A)
10. Spin The Bottle (A)
11. Larry The Floor Manager (A)
12. Drive Happy (A)
13. Sanitation Insanity (B)
14. Stuck On The Roof (B)
15. ChefBob (B)
16. There's A Sponge In My Soup (B)
17. Mustard O'Mine (B)
18. Moving Bubble Bass (B)
19. Pat the Horse (B)
20. High Sea Diving (B)
21. My Leg! (B)
22. Spot Returns (B)
23. Fun-Sized Friends (B)
24. Shopping List (B)
25. Cave Dwelling Sponge (B)
26. Patnocchio (C)
27. The Clam Whisperer (C)
28. No Pictures, Please (C)
29. Whale Watching (C)
30. Cuddle E. Hugs (C)
31. Old Man Patrick (C)
32. Krabby Patty Creature Feature (C)
33. Don't Feed the Clowns (C)
34. The Check-Up (D)
35. Grandmum's the Word (D)
36. Bunny Hunt (D)
37. Ink Lemonade (F)

EB The Original Master

Part Computer or Something
I'm going to be totally honest, I thought this episode was going for a completely different route. When I first heard the title, "ChefBob", I though SpongeBob going to make a dish that's worth millions of dollars and starts serving it at the Krusty Krab. But nope, I was wrong and it's about a paper-bag SpongeBob who insults people and performs on stage. This was a very entertaining episode and has the best "My Leg" gag in the entire series. This episode gets a 9/10 for me.

SuperFan2024

Part Computer or Something
This episode was pretty great in my opinion! Dialogue was very good, and so was the animation! I've missed a lot of recent Spongebob eps, so i'm catching up currently. Hope to see more eps like this!

EmployeeAMillion said:
I was impressed by the animation here, very loose and stretchy, owing to the fact that ChefBob himself can’t do too much. It’s got some great jokes aswell, but more on that in my review 6 months from now.
I know right! The animation was so nice and fluid! I love that Spongebob's animation quality has improved considerably since season 9B and especially season 10. It's pretty cool.

Red Hat said:
This episode isn't bad at all.

The ratings are the lowest though.
Once again, TV ratings are steadily declining all over America. You shouldn't take these ratings into consideration at this point, because fewer people are watching TV live nowadays (mostly except for news, events, sports, and etc). Spongebob and The Loud House are still Nick's best money making series'. They're doing fine for right now.

Back