Analysis of Sandy Cheeks

SonofMnemosyne

Floating Shopping List
My analysis on why Scientist Sandy exists.

First, Scientist Sandy has existed since the beginning of SpongeBob: Sandy's Rocket. Sandy has always been a scientist, but she never really focused on it.

Second, please don't reply with Sandy's only a scientist because it's her job for Treedome Enterprises.

In seasons 1-3, Sandy was your tough gal. She was smart, but she focused on having fun and being extreme. However, the Bikini Bottomites have always treated Sandy differently. In Pressure, Sandy faces against SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs about if sea creatures or land critters were better. In Squirrel Jokes, the Bikini Bottomites were quick to make fun of Sandy in everyday life. In Krabby Kronicle, top scientists easily believed a fake newspaper that Sandy was dumb.
All this wrecked Sandy's pride. So, in order to keep her pride intact, she focused all her time showing off how smart she is. She even gave up karate and sport time because of the stereotype of a dumb jock. This is also the reason why she isn't shown hanging out with Larry anymore. He isn't the brightest bulb and they grew apart.

If anyone wants to add on to this analysis, be my guest.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
First of all, this will probably get moved, but this should be in "Characters" not just outside in Bikini Bottom, again I'm sure this will be fixed. I'll write my own analysis for the first three seasons:

Sandy Cheeks is a strong, smart, squirrel going underwater in the name of science. She is good friends with SpongeBob, Patrick, and the rest of Bikini Bottom. She was first introduced in Tea at the Treedome. In these seasons, she was portrayed as more of a straight man to SpongeBob's antics all the while being a friend, (kind of a mix between another SpongeBob and Squidward if you think about it). She has a more fish out of water take she brings to the show to make good episodes (like Texas or Pressure). Something else she brings is being the biggest female supported character, which isn't too much, but it is something. She has many interests, like extreme sportz, or karate. The latter of which is something SpongeBob also enjoys, and we see in episodes like Karate Choppers or No Weenies Allowed. She has other friends like Larry, as they both are very active people, except Larry is more of that active type. In the beginning she was intended to be a love interest for SpongeBob before he was concluded as asexual, and kept as such. Her being a squirrel also plays a part, particularly in Pre-Hibernation Week and Survival of the Idiots when she goes into hibernation, and you do not want to disturb her. She also has an interest in science shown in Sandy's Rocket since that is the reason she was down underwater in the first place. I've noticed a significant lack of her in Season 3, which is a shame, but her appearances all across the board tend to be very solid, and she is one of my favorite characters for her environment she bring to the show.

SonofMnemosyne

Floating Shopping List
First of all, this will probably get moved, but this should be in "Characters" not just outside in Bikini Bottom, again I'm sure this will be fixed. I'll write my own analysis for the first three seasons:

Sandy Cheeks is a strong, smart, squirrel going underwater in the name of science. She is good friends with SpongeBob, Patrick, and the rest of Bikini Bottom. She was first introduced in Tea at the Treedome. In these seasons, she was portrayed as more of a straight man to SpongeBob's antics all the while being a friend, (kind of a mix between another SpongeBob and Squidward if you think about it). She has a more fish out of water take she brings to the show to make good episodes (like Texas or Pressure). Something else she brings is being the biggest female supported character, which isn't too much, but it is something. She has many interests, like extreme sportz, or karate. The latter of which is something SpongeBob also enjoys, and we see in episodes like Karate Choppers or No Weenies Allowed. She has other friends like Larry, as they both are very active people, except Larry is more of that active type. In the beginning she was intended to be a love interest for SpongeBob before he was concluded as asexual, and kept as such. Her being a squirrel also plays a part, particularly in Pre-Hibernation Week and Survival of the Idiots when she goes into hibernation, and you do not want to disturb her. She also has an interest in science shown in Sandy's Rocket since that is the reason she was down underwater in the first place. I've noticed a significant lack of her in Season 3, which is a shame, but her appearances all across the board tend to be very solid, and she is one of my favorite characters for her environment she bring to the show.

Great analysis! How do you move topics?

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
My best guess is that Sandy’s, supposed to be what SpongeBob isn’t. Early drafts from 1996-1998 played up the idea that SpongeBoy was a dork, so Sandy was strong as a sort of contrast. Then as SpongeBob got dumber, and to an extent more versatile (he can hardly lift marshmallows in Season 1, yet he pilots a giant boat museum and jet in 6), Sandy was made smart to keep their contrast.

SonofMnemosyne

Floating Shopping List
My best guess is that Sandy’s, supposed to be what SpongeBob isn’t. Early drafts from 1996-1998 played up the idea that SpongeBoy was a dork, so Sandy was strong as a sort of contrast. Then as SpongeBob got dumber, and to an extent more versatile (he can hardly lift marshmallows in Season 1, yet he pilots a giant boat museum and jet in 6), Sandy was made smart to keep their contrast.

Good theory on why the writers made the change. My theory was on why Sandy made the change.

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
This is a topic i like to discuss, good stuff here.

Back