219b. Larry the Floor Manager

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
Had potential to be good. Terrible execution, Too much destruction that was COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. Literally the last 5 or so episodes are purely about destruction and people going crazy. It's so annoying and Larry is unlikable. Annoying faces too. 5/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 11

Episode: Larry the Floor Manager

This episode was kinda good. The plot was decent. There were few funny jokes. 7/10

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
8.5/10
I really liked Larry's management LOL.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
An okay and inoffensive episode. I do like the first half for seeing Mr. Krabs act so oddly but once the plot gets going its another Krusty Krab story I've seen done better and funnier in Bossy Boots. I'd group this along with SpongeBob's Place in sort of being bland but unlike that episode I like Larry here in this episode and his prescience adds some jokes to an otherwise bland episode.

6/10

I enjoyed this one. I feel like this episode is overlooked by its sister episode. While I do think that episode is better, this episode is still good in its own right. The only thing I didn't like was the ending. Mr. Krabs' last line made me feel kind of "bleh"

THE LIST:
1. Man Ray Returns (A+)
2. Spin The Bottle (A)
3. Larry The Floor Manager (A)
4. There's A Sponge In My Soup (B)
5. Spot Returns (B)
6. Cave Dwelling Sponge (B)
7. The Clam Whisperer (C)
8. The Check-Up (D)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I don’t really mix up “Larry The Floor Manager” with “The Check-Up”, but I do associate the two. And it doesn’t help that I have very little memory of this episode too. Yep, it’s one of those ones, one of the season 11 episodes I’ve barely seen (for my standards, so that means I’ve probably seen it around twice). Man, just wait til I get to season 12 and especially 13…it’ll be so weird reviewing episodes I hadn’t even seen once prior to watching them for the sake of review. But I’m getting quite ahead of myself, it’s still the beginning of September after all, and the episode today is early on in season 11’s run. Let’s focus on that.

Well, I suppose the first thing I should start with is acknowledging that Larry the Lobster plays a major role in this episode. Yeah, that’s right, we’re back with the episodes focusing on other characters schtick from season 9! And the last episode, “Man Ray Returns”, was on this as well, but I just didn’t say anything about it because 1) I didn’t think of it, and 2) the phenomenon of the episode having Man Ray play a major part is lumped into the episode being a general MM & BB episode. And with this episode starting off with Bubble Bass taking entirely too long to order, we get even more secondary and tertiary characters at the forefront of this episode as well.

This episode begins with Mr. Krabs doing what every service worker wants to do, telling the annoying customer to take a hike. Not in so many words, of course, but we got the vibes. Though SpongeBob, of course, isn’t a fan of Mr. Krabs treating Bubble Bass so harshly, as he is the star employee. The bit with the employee handbook was pretty funny, Mr. Krabs’ reaction I mean. SpongeBob accidentally drops a drop of ketchup on the floor, and Mr. Krabs immediately snaps at him, but then SpongeBob gets upset and Mr. Krabs immediately feels bad and apologizes, and promises to be nice from then on. Y’all already know what I’m gonna say…quasi-father-son crumbs!!!! This part is so adorable, and it’s followed by the super hilarious bit of Mr. Krabs yelling at and chasing Squidward (a scene that has been the source of some fun memes). Mr. Krabs is a taut as a wire in this first segment of the episode, and it leads to all these hilarious moments, not to mention is the main plot driver. So just some good, tight writing. Love when that happens!

Larry walks into this crazy scene, and manages to calm Mr. Krabs down by essentially giving him a hug. Not the direction I expected this episode to go in, but you know what, I like it! Now I want a Larry hug LMAO. We get some fun slapstick with Squidward, and then it’s back to Mr. Krabs, who airs out his exhaustion with the Krusty Krab being so busy all the time. And so the solution is obvious—Mr. Krabs needs a vacation. And while SpongeBob says that he and Squidward can take care of the Krusty Krab…Mr. Krabs knows better (as the funny cutaway demonstrates). Ah, that reminds me of “Squid’s Day Off”…good times, good times. Anyway, Mr. Krabs decides that he needs to leave someone else in charge of the Krusty Krab while he’s away, and it seems that the best fit for the job is Larry. Somehow.

It takes very little convincing for Larry to agree to be the manager. And, I don’t know if this has been in previous episodes, if it was I didn’t notice it, but I love this little character tic of Larry referring to himself in the third person. It just adds something to his character, something necessary since we’re seeing him more and more it appears. And, back to the topic of Larry managing the Krusty Krab, I’m kinda surprised the show even brought up this topic (Krusty Krab manager) in an episode. I feel like it would be an episode topic that is forbidden in the interest of preserving the gospel of the first movie. But I suppose that since Larry’s role is simply meant to be temporary, this doesn’t disrupt the gospel at all.

As Larry manages the Krusty Krab, it becomes obvious that perhaps he’s not the best fit for the eating establishment…not if it’s meant to stay the way it is. He has a problem with the way the customers eat, and their fitness levels, and so he takes it upon himself to “whip them into shape”. You know, this makes me wonder if a gym restaurant is a thing. I mean, it would be an awful idea, but I am curious. I guess the closest thing is a restaurant that’s next to a gym haha. Anyway, Larry changes up the menu too, getting rid of Krabby Patties in favor of salads (”Bossy Boots”?) and protein shakes (protein shakes are disgusting, I understand SpongeBob completely).

SpongeBob protests Larry’s changes earlier and more vocally than I expected. Good, it further differentiates this episode from “Bossy Boots”. Not that these two episodes had nearly enough in common to even be part of the “rip-off” discussion in my eyes, but you never know. The Krusty Krab further devolves into a scary gym beast hangout, and SpongeBob and Squidward try to escape, but Squidward gets stuck humorously, so SpongeBob decides that Larry needs to be fired. So he tries to get Squidward to do it LMAO. But Squidward ain’t having that, and SpongeBob and Squidward plot in a way I haven’t seen since “Krusty Dogs” (I probably have seen it since then but it’s not coming to mind right now so…). SpongeBob sabotages the power shakes by putting nasty and unhealthy things in it…but this fails. So then SpongeBob sabotages the weight machines…and this fails too.

SpongeBob gives up (while poor Squidward is still stuck in the rope thing lol), and leaves the Krusty Krab in the hands of the gym bros. At least until he sees all the lost customers outside, hungry for Krabby Patties. Honestly, the people in this town need to get a grip. I’d love living in the SpongeBob world, but hate it at the same time LMAO. SpongeBob decides the solution to this whole debacle is the Krabby Patty itself, and finally, something works. The action sequence between the gym rats and the customers is really fun, and it was definitely unexpected.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.9/10

Back