220. The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
Stop motion episodes are pretty charming. I like this one. It's off topic, but, just think about how far this show has come. I watched the episode Scaredy Pants right before this one, and there's just a monumental difference. The technology has come So far. It's pretty amazing and it's like a whole different show now. But yea, good episode except for the crappy 2D animation part. 8/10. Patrick's character is actually normal.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Stop motion episodes are pretty charming. I like this one. It's off topic, but, just think about how far this show has come. I watched the episode Scaredy Pants right before this one, and there's just a monumental difference. The technology has come So far. It's pretty amazing and it's like a whole different show now. But yea, good episode except for the crappy 2D animation part. 8/10. Patrick's character is actually normal.
What? When was the last time Patrick's Character wasn't normal?

Squidy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
The fast food restaurant that only sick people eat
That song though :o. Very good episode for season 11. It gets barley gets a GOLDEN episode because of how short and crazy it was. Now time for the episode.
So right off the bat you see that Patrick isn't dumb? Yeah he tells SpongeBob this, "Halloween is about getting your pants scared off." That is true and I find it funny. So now the rest is about SpongeBob meeting all of his friends. So let's start with Sandy. The 3 jars of I think scariness. So the last one had a funny Patrick's brain joke there. Next they go to "The horrors of the Krusty Krab." Then they went to "The horrors of the Chum Bucket." Then we go to The Flying Dutchman." So he tries to scare SpongeBob with a roller coaster ride. Then some amazing music plays and to me the best part of the episode. So then he traps all of his friends inside of cages with a cameo of Gary. Then since he still thinks that is funny, he traps Patrick in a cage too then SpongeBob gets his pants scared off. So SpongeBob has to rescue his friends. Then since Plankton in trapped, he is so small he could break himself apart and become a team with The Flying Dutchman. Then SpongeBob comes and The Flying Dutchman goes in his brain (nice little thing you did from the second SpongeBob movie.) He gets so scared that he just leaves and everybody is free. Also why did Mrs. Puff, Pearl, and Larry not get cameos? We will never know why. 11/10.

Kukimao

Flying Dutchman's Sock
tumblr_oxvk2xgJp11s2kw58o1_540.png

It was amazing.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
I thought you didn't watch the show anymore.
Edit:Outdated opinion
Anyway, I thought this episode was really good. I espicially liked the visuals in this episode, they were some of the best I've ever seen in the show so far! I also liked the general atmosphere too, and the episode also felt fun to watch too in general, not sure how to explain it very good, but I just enjoyed it. And it was cool to see an episode that wasn't way too fast-paced or zany or any of that stuff, it felt more calmed down. I hope future episodes can be calmed down like this too while still having the great strengths of Seasons 9B-11. I espicially liked the parts after The Flying Dutchman takes all of Spongebob's friends and locks them up to scare Spongebob.
However, as others have said, it did feel like it was missing something. I feel like it didn't have that much of a plot until the Flying Dutchman takes all of Spongebob's friends to scare him, and it felt all over the place (Although this isn't really that bad of a thing). And I also felt like it could've been a bit funnier.
However, I still thought it was a great episode, and I'll say it's probably a 9.5. I still like to watch these episodes a second time though, since they sometimes seem better the second time.
Also, I wonder how many people had tragic flashbacks from the intro :P
Huh, I didn't notice a banner when I watched it. I did notice it did the thing where it freezes for a few second and then cuts a few seconds ahead at one point (and I was wondering how long it would take until this happened during a new episode airing, lol), but not a banner.

You know what, I've changed my mind, this episode is even better than that! This gets an Amazing 10/10! This episode seems to just get better and better upon rewatch! The episode actually is funny, and that along with its amazing visuals, amazing atmosphere, and perfect charactization, makes this an Amazing episode!

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
Wintermelon43 said:
What? When was the last time Patrick's Character wasn't normal?
Up until season 10 his character was for comic stupidity and occasional bully roles. he is solely for gags now. He has no other meaning.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 11

Episode: The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom

This episode was great. The plot was terrific. It was nice to see SpongeBob's Scaredy Pants season 1 persona back and Patrick was close to his original personality, like the second Christmas special, which is pleasant. Animation wise it was better than the Christmas special, but not plot wise. There were many funny jokes. 9/10

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
i think 8/10, now you lovers can't be all mad and stuff, but after seeing this episode, imo, it just didn't seem all too special aside from the return of the dutchman and stop-motion, and we're getting another halloween-like segment (Krabby Patty Creature Feature) saturday anyways, which imo looks better than this one, I expected this one to be scary, but it really wasn't and was kinda a joke when it came to scary, yes, i know the Scary = Funny stuff, but it didn't live up to the name of scary, which is why this episode lost 2 points, but, it's still a great special aside from that.

Loopers

Sportz?
It was alright but I found the beginning a bit boring and I prefer the Christmas special more but this episode was pretty good and I always loved the stop-motion charm

8.5/10

TheJasbre202 said:
i think 8/10, now you lovers can't be all mad and stuff, but after seeing this episode, imo, it just didn't seem all too special aside from the return of the dutchman and stop-motion, and we're getting another halloween-like segment (Krabby Patty Creature Feature) saturday anyways, which imo looks better than this one, I expected this one to be scary, but it really wasn't and was kinda a joke when it came to scary, yes, i know the Scary = Funny stuff, but it didn't live up to the name of scary, which is why this episode lost 2 points, but, it's still a great special aside from that.
honestly I don't exactly get why it was supposed to be scary. None of SpongeBob Halloween-esque episodes felt scary to me. I always thought they were meant to be humorous. I'm all for a good scare but being scary funny fits on the show and it worked out well here.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Master WhoBruh said:
honestly I don't exactly get why it was supposed to be scary. None of SpongeBob Halloween-esque episodes felt scary to me. I always thought they were meant to be humorous. I'm all for a good scare but being scary funny fits on the show and it worked out well here.
Personally, I found the dark sequence towards the end of Hall Monitor scarier than any Halloween episode out there.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
The fact that Squid Baby could possibly have even been made, let alone be allowed to air is the scariest Spongebob thing to me.

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
Upon finally watching this special, I experienced disappointment, and decided this one was a dud. It's okay, Mr. Lawrence, not every episode you write will be perfect, and you have been working on the show for over 10 years, so it's not the end of the world, not at all. I thought the stop-motion worked brilliantly as an animation technique (I have a big knowledge of it's appearance due to media such as Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run and Shaun the Sheep.) Fantastic that they managed to create a new intro, although I was expecting them to change the lyrics. The story was hard for me to understand however and many of the parts were boring. One delightfully creepy moment was the removal of the characters' souls but I was honestly expecting something disgusting when SpongeBob said 'naked baby pictures.' Can't say much apart from what has been said already, but that part with the different animation...took me by surprise. I didn't know what to think of it.
Not terrible, but...meh.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I was surprised by how good this episode was. I always have a pretty negative outlook on SpongeBob specials, most of the time I find them gimmicky, shallow, and boring. But this is one of the best they've done. Considering the competition includes classics such as Party Pooper Pants, Pest of the West, Atlantis SquarePantis, What Ever Happened to SpongeBob, The Clash of Triton, SB Vs the Big One, Truth or Square, SpongeBob's Last Stand, SquarePants Family Vacation, It Came from Goo Lagoon, and SpongeBob, You're Fired, it can be interpreted as faint praise. But I really enjoyed this one. Better than most of Mr. Lawrence's newer episodes. The animation managed to be even better than it was in the Christmas episode with tons of ambitious effects and setpieces and the characters were strong here and never went to zany and wacky territories as usual. This spreads to the humor which is superior to normal with being more dialogue-centered than usual. The story was fine, it wasn't boring like other SpongeBob specials but parts of it felt rushed. Like I have a hard time believing SpongeBob would start finding scary things funny at a snap of a finger, and it abruptly shifts from The Flying Dutchman trying to scare SpongeBob to him roasting their souls, which felt like a forced foil to give the third act a conflict without any real build-up. In spite of these problems this was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed the special over all and I'm glad it turned out as polished as it is in spite of its problems.

7/10

TheHallMonitor52

Imitation Krab
this episode is genius im my opinion, all of the character were funny and in character and the scare song is easily one of my favorite songs of the episode, i have a minor nitpick tho, how does the flying dutchman does not know who spongebob is, its kinda weird but eh.

*9.9/10*

iedasb

Crazy Artist
I finally watched this episode
And for the first time in years I felt like watching a 3 season-ish episode! I always liked episodes with the Flying Dutchman(from 1-3 season) and this one was no exception, it was great, had great writing, the characters weren't "out of character"(even the annoying kids lol) And I loved the reference of my favorite SpongeBob movie(yeah, I prefer the second movie).
Well, it was a great episode, just like "It's a SpongeBob christmas". It seems the story on stop montion episodes are always like the first 3 seasons. I wish they made more epidodes like those two.
Just the ending bothered me little bit, because, Plankton didn't really do anything wrong, he was the one who kinda helped "saving the day" talking about SpongeBob's brain. But that don't really made the episode bad.

And did you notice something really cool? In ScaredyPants The Flying Dutchman go away because SpongeBob brain made him scared, and this time was the same thing, but he saw it from inside! That was clever!

And those parts, with real life scary faces, when everyone was in cage, was really scary, even for me a grown up... But heh, I'm scared pretty easily...
Those parts when Mr. Krabs and Squidward spirits leaves their body and the kids starts throwing eggs at them was pretty... I don't even know how to describe, I just have a question: "What's wrong with kids on Bikini Bottom?" Wow!

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
I loved Sally Cruikshank's sequence. I've been a fan of her ever since seeing her work for Sesame Street when I was little, and this is reminiscent of her animation "Don't Go in the Basement".

1033Forest

Imitation Krab
I predict a DVD of this episode will be made soon, just like most other specials.

My prediction of what will be on the DVD (14 episodes; seasons 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, and 11)
1. This episode (The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom)
2. Krabby Patty Creature Feature
3. Teacher's Pests
4. Eek, an Urchin!
5. Don't Look Now
6. Séance Shméance
7. Yeti Krabs
8. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom
9. The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom
10. Feral Friends
11. Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle
12. The Curse of the Hex
13. The Donut of Shame