Pops Appreciation Topic

giphy.gif

Remember this hot topic below?

http://www.sbmania.net/forums/topic/52211-chris-evans-appericiation-topic/

And I loved doing that, so I decided to make another one for another hero. Pops Maellard from Regular Show. I'm gonna continue to make these appreciation topics. It won't happen often, only when I feel like someone deserves to be talked. So here's to more appreciation topics.

Unlike Chris Evans, he's a fictional person (for me, he's real tho!) but I really wanted to talk about this awesome character from a jolly good show. Regular Show is mostly about characters with negativity; lazy and irresponsible blue jay and racoon, a prankster green guy, a violent yeti, and a gumball machine who has anger issues and an unfocused ghost. That doesn't mean they are not bad people, it's just they can be jerks sometimes. Pops is literally the most positive guy in the show and that's why I love him the most.

My type of character is usually characters that are jerk, depressed, cool but hurtful inside etc but there's something else to be loved about characters who are just jolly, childish, hopeful, fair and cute. Pops is one of the few positive characters that balances my obsession with jerk characters for really good reasons. Pops always sees good in people, even those who hurt him so badly. In Rap It Up, rappers just insult Pops, Mordecai and Rigby to win rap battle against Pops but Pops won the battle because he was just so positive about unplesant people. We people usually take it so badly when someone hurts us but that's not the case with him. That doesn't mean people step on him, it means Pops is all around a chill guy who doesn't let bullies hurt him.

He's so fair to people. In Rigby's Body, Mordecai and Rigby call each other turds and Pops tells them we can all be turds. Look how just fair it sounds because in that episode, Mordecai and Rigby were both jerks to each other and Pops calmed them because he acted fair. In Think Positive, he was actually annoyed by Benson yelling at Mordecai and Rigby and you don't often see Pops actually having a problem with something negative but he's also right. You can't solve stuff with yelling. However he did learn that sometimes we do need to be a bit harsh to make people more responsible but Pops still tells Benson he wished he wouldn't yell at them so much. As the show goes on, Pops learns more about cruelity of the world and he realizes he doesn't always have to take stuff kindly but he knows that being positive is the solution of the problems.

He's a naive dude, sometimes he can be too nice to see what's wrong or him just giving lollipops to people as money but he's not stupid and he really doesn't take crap from people either. Just like I mentioned in Rap It Up but there are episodes that he's willing to fight and stand up for himself and for others. Dizzy, Really Real Wrestling, Guys Night, Catching the Wave, Win That Prize, The Dream Warrior, The Key to the Universe and Kill Em With Kindess are perfect examples of why Pops can be such a ::dolphin noise:: guy both physically and metaphorically. Ok, he wrestled with a ::dolphin noise::ing bear. Can you do that? No, you can't.

He can be such a brave and thoughtful man as you can see in Space Escape when Pops won't escape from people who need help. He is willing to take risks when something bad happens.

He is just very cute and sweet and that makes me laugh unironically and make me go awwww for him. It's not often when you actually found a grown up pretty adorable. Pops is too pure for this world. His cuteness is just a smile to my face. I mean look at him.

giphy.gif

ae1565ed2e511977a356ebdf50dfd3fd.jpg

y6RX4.gif

tumblr_lr57460bGO1qdjhv0o1_500.gif

tumblr_mg3fe6bLIs1qiqm7jo1_500.gif

7e693ba9d6ff928cbef99c7bb87be4e8.jpg

tumblr_mpgvga6k9R1ror0lro1_400.gif

tumblr_lr51luBHJN1qdjhv0o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

If you say these are not cute, I don't know who you are.

Now we are going to talk about spoilery stuff, so if you haven't seen later episodes of season 7 and all of season 8, I suggest you to not read the spoiler.

In Pops' Favorite Planet, we learned that Pops have special powers and during season 8, we learned that Pops is an alien from Lolliland and he's the chosen one to fight his evil twin brother, Anti-Pops. I had a few issues with seaosn 8 but still this season was all around epic, especially in second half because of focus on more development for Pops. Pops isn't the chosen one randomly. He's the chosen one because he respresents good in us. It'd hard to believe in that but considering the fact that we had seven seasons to realize how Pops' heart is pure good. So it makes sense why out of all main characters, our loveable naive man is the chosen one and I felt like he was just different than most other chosen ones. Chosen ones are the people to stop big evil but for the goal of almost all chosen ones are to "just stop" evil, if it means killing it or taking the evil down wtihout killing and what makes Pops a different chosen one for me is that he doesn't wanna stop evil with violence. He wants to stop it peacefully. Of course he is willing to fight for his friends but he's still a man who doesn't believe violence can solve anything. In Kill Em With Kindness, he realizes that some bad people can't be reasoned and that's true but considering how being violent with Anti-Pops just causes both of them to lose and reset the timeline is no solution. In fact, Earl, his trainer and park crew tells Pops to go with same away without them realizing that decision only causes to reset the universe. Pops still fights with him but unfourtunately it doesn't work. It causes all of his friends, except Mordecai and Rigby to be erased from existance. Mordecai and Rigby still existing gives Pops hope that he can stlii defeat Anti-Pops but it doesn't work again and everything goes meta during the fight. And you know how he saves the universe, he saves it with the power of love. Yes, it sounds so cheesy but if you consider Pops' character, he does solve issues with kindness, not always but that power isn't some deus-ex machina, Pops is good in soul, so that gives him power to take down Anti-Pops and even give him power of love. That works for result of saving universe of Regular Show because Regular Show solves it's problems with nonsensical supernatural elemants, so it doesn't feel cheesy. In fact it feels sweet. Pops sacrifises himself to save the universe and he promises Mordecai and Rigby to have happy endings and he delivers them. It's really sad to see the nicest person in the entire show gets to die before jerks. Pops dies to give a good conclusion to this show and it's characters. It's something to be proud of and it's something that deserves love and respect. Rest in peace, the naive man from Lolliland ;_;

In conclusion that Pops is not just the best character in Regular Show, he's an example for all of us that we can all be heroes (yes, pun intended) with heart of gold. It's rare to see someone who's just sweet as Pops. Pops gives me hope for this bad humanity. We need more people like Pops. We need to be like Pops. He maybe fictional but he's one of the best people I've ever come across to. Jolly good show, indeed.

Go_Viral_screen_019.png

I hope you all enjoyed this. I love Pops so much <3

patfan200

Balloon Traveler
"He chased butterflies, he loved to laugh, he saved the universe, he was our friend"
Pops Maellard (1913-2017)

Back