Jack Ranks "Season 3"

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
Hey guys I've been thinking of doing one of these for a while and since it's my favourite season, I think it's a good way to start my summer, so I announce to you...

Jack Ranks "Season 3" of SpongeBob SquarePants

Hint for #37: It's not summer without having one of these...

btw the review for the episode won't be until tomorrow afternoon sorry :(

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
#37:
[titlecard]51[/titlecard]

Aaah...It's not summer without a good ol' party. Except here it doesn't feel like I want to party when I watch this episode. Yeah to be honest guys this one of the weakest pre-movie episodes. 2nd only to I'm With Stupid. So lets start off with the SpongeBob segments, so SpongeBob sees this party-kit and decides to buy it so he can throw a party...for no real reason yeah he just decides to throw this random party out of nowhere, it's not like his birthday (like in The Donut of Shame or a special occasion (Christmas Who?) he just randomly decides to throw it. Yeah it's hard to explain but the plot is just so weak and it could've been executed much better. Now it's time to analyse the main character, SpongeBob. He's a big jerk here and I mean a "BIG JERK". Forcing people to do your stupid activities is not really a party, people are meant to have freedom at parties not be restricted and he had really harsh rules like not being able to laugh until a certain time. It's really stupid and they could've balanced it out by adding humour but to be honest there isn't much humour in this episode except the part where SpongeBob dresses as a bunny and tries to break in to his own house that did get a few chuckles out of me, but it's not really a laugh out loud moment, just mere chuckles.

Now onto the Patchy stuff I think it's much better than SpongeBob's segments but they still aren't that great, The main reason why I like them more than the SpongeBob segments is because of the Bird Brains they were pretty funny and the song "Underwater Sun" has to be one of my favourite SpongeBob songs of all time, It has good lyrics and not to mention extremely catchy but the rest of the Patchy stuff just feels really dry and flavourless to me, it's not really funny and kind of boring.

Also I will be giving it a rating, my highlight and the best and (worst) character in the episode. The reason why worst is in brackets is because there's only really one bad episode after this and we get to the good stuff.

Highlight: The Bird Brains
Best Character: Larry
Worst Character: SpongeBob
Rating 3/10 (not the worst episode ever but far from being a good episode)

Hint for #36: This episode is pretty much the epitome of summer.

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
#36:
[titlecard]57A[/titlecard]

Yeah so ironically two things I love in real life end up as bad episodes of SpongeBob. I am an absolute sucker for amusement parks and carnivals and things like that but this episode absolutely ruins them for me. I strongly dislike this episode for two reasons the first being Mr. Krabs. In this episode and many more in future seasons Krabs is a cheap ::dolphin noise:: who cares more for money over children for making an incredible low-budget theme park, being a complete cop-out when he is portrayed as Krabby the Clown and like literally manipulating little kids into giving him money he is incredibly selfish and really unlikeable here, more than he is in Jellyfish Hunter. I especially dislike when he dresses up as the clown because all the tension and excitement was built up for that one part and they just ruin it by making Mr. Krabs a bigger cheapskate than he already is. The other reason why I dislike this episode is because of the kids, yes they aren't completely innocent. They get enjoyment of an employee maiming and possibly killing himself and they don't even care for poor old SpongeBob he's used as a doormat for the kids and Mr. Krabs and this is one of the episodes which you are really sympathetic for the little yellow guy. It's a shame because this episode did have some good humour like the lima beans and Krabs did get his comeuppance at the end but in my opinion I still think the negatives outweigh the positives here.

Highlight: Lima beans
Best Character: SpongeBob
Worst Character: Mr. Krabs
Rating: 3/10 (Just like Party Pooper Pants it's not the worst episode in the world but I still don't recommend it.)

Hint for #35: If you thought Krabs being a cheapskate here was bad wait until we get into the next episode.

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
#35:
[titlecard]56A[/titlecard]

So this episode is probably one of the most forgettable episodes of the pre-movie era, does it make it bad? No not at all but it certainly isn't good either to be honest this episode is just kinda meh, Not much in this episode made me laugh out of my seat and there were some very dull moments, but I will say this episode does have a good plot and it's nice to see Mr. Krabs not being a complete cheapskate for once but... that is all thrown out of the window at the very end of this episode yes Krabs soon gets fed up of being generous which did bring up a few funny moments like the images the fish saw from the TV got sucked out of his mind. Then the Flying Dutchman turns up because Krabs broke his promise about not spending any money then SpongeBob defends Mr. Krabs by saying that he wouldn't sell his soul but then what did Mr. Krabs do, oh be his lovely caring himself...NOPE! He trades away SpongeBob FOR 62 CENTS! that has to be one of the worst moments in pre-movie SpongeBob. But I will admit Squidward was really nice in the ending showing that he does really care about SpongeBob (for once) to get Mr. Krabs to change his mind but before he could the Dutchman shows up and brings back SpongeBob because he was irritating the Dutchman and then the episode ends, I still think the Dutchman should've taken away the the 62 cents because it wouldn't be a fair trade but oh well that's just a minor nitpick. My final thoughts, this episode really doesn't do anything wrong apart from the ending and there were a few funny moments but it's an episode I probably won't watch again but I probably will because of it's sister episode which is much higher down the list.

Highlight: The mouldy patty at the beginning acting like a dog
Best character: Squidward
Worst character: Mr. Krabs
Rating: 5/10

Hint for #34: White clothes.

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
#34:
[titlecard]45B[/titlecard]

You might be surprised that this one is here, you might not be but in my opinion it just doesn't stand out. I mean there are good jokes such as the white clothes and the guy cleaning water then when he gets sprayed he's cleaning up punch and his facial expression just doesn't change at all that's quite funny but other than that it was just kinda ehh. I don't know Patrick and SpongeBob were being quite annoying and Mrs. Puff didn't deserve her torment here and this episode suffers from a weak, confusing and kind of an all over the place plot. It's very hard to explain but I just don't like this episode much, I don't hate it but there really isn't a story and they needed to have a decent story to compliment the comedy because the comedy was spot on. Not a bad episode but definitely one of the weaker "Boating School" episodes.

Highlight: The gags in Shady Shoals
Best Character: I honestly don't know
Rating: 5/10
Hint for #33: SpongeBob's oblivousness shining in the light!

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
#33:
[titlecard]47A[/titlecard]

So this episode starts off with Mr. Krabs once again being a cheap d-bag and pushes everyone out except some random clown which I didn't really understand, just some weak joke then he asks SpongeBob to be in the Krusty Krab commercial. It then cuts to SpongeBob watching the commercial you'd at least think the commercial would be funny right? Well... not really it's really lazy and Squidward's just shown as a miserable old grump which was kind of funny but not funny enough. After watching a commercial he was in for like half a second SpongeBob starts to act like he's a famous movie star because an old man said he recognised him with the hilarious "See you later Bran Flakes!, what a nice cereal box" line which was probably the funniest part of this episode then we get to the Krusty Krab where SpongeBob acts like an arrogant, oblivious movie star which he thinks now that he's famous he can do anything which gave us a lot of filler. Yeah that's probably my biggest problem with this episode there was a lot of pointless filler and that's something you don't want in SpongeBob especially since pre-movie seasons are outstanding I also don't like SpongeBob being completely oblivious to the world around him he's not as bad here as he is in episodes like Wigstruck or A Pal For Gary but it didn't make me laugh and was kind of annoying to watch. Overall this episode suffers from jokes and has quite a lot of filler but I did think they told a good moral that you shouldn't let fame come to your head because it might ruin your career but other than that this episode is just meh.

Highlight: Bran Flakes
Best Character: Squidward
Rating: 5.5/10
Hint for #32: One of the few times this character has a major role

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
#32:
[titlecard]41B[/titlecard]

So this is an interesting pick. So yeah I used to like this episode a lot when I was younger, I was quite a big fan of Goo Lagoon episodes like Sand Castles in the Sand, Walking Small etc. but this was among one of my favourite Goo Lagoon episodes, I don't know why but I just had a strange attraction to it. However I'm not really a big fan of it now, I like it just not as much. So this is one of Larry's biggest appearances to date and it irritates me because I really like Larry's character he's not really a character I thought I would like but I do. So anyway SpongeBob wants to become a lifeguard just like Larry so he gets training and then it cuts to a pretty cool montage of him and Larry doing activities as lifeguard but when Larry has to leave SpongeBob gets anxious that people aren't being safe in the water which is a bit stupid because they weren't really drowning or anything crucial like that so he decides to lure out the fish with free ice-cream and puts down tape so no one can cross which causes Patrick (who has quite a good appearance in this episode) to break through the tape to get "ice-cream" but then he gets a butt cramp and only SpongeBob can save him only to find out that he can't swim after multiple attempts to save Patrick, SpongeBob himself then starts drowning which causes Larry to randomly come back to find out that SpongeBob isn't a lifeguard. So while I don't like this episode as much as I used to it's still a decent episode it just gets overshadowed by the rest of the episodes of this season.

Highlight: The montage of Larry and SpongeBob being lifeguards
Best Character: Larry
Rating: 6/10

Hint for #31: Apparently people can't pursue their dreams in Bikini Bottom.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
My mom loves this episode. I like it but there's other episodes in the season I prefer.

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
#31:
[titlecard]59[/titlecard]

So I'd this is probably the final meh/okay episode. Yeah so this special is very interesting, to spice things up a bit lets start with the Patchy segments shall we. So Patchy's segments in this episode are phenomenal they really do mock that Patchy is some cheesy actor dressed up as a pirate that you usually get on kids shows and it's adapted really well in this episode. Basically Patchy finds out there is a "Lost Episode" of SpongeBob SquarePants and he tries to find out by using his map which leads him to to a children's playground which leads to some pretty cheesy action scenes which are hysterically funny, like even the kids think Patchy is a loser it's that funny. When they get back to his house they put on the episode which gives us the worst part of his segments...The Walk Cycle. There was no point for this walk cycle to be here it was incredibly long, boring and just one minute of filler. All SpongeBob does is change his facial expression and walk weirdly it's not funny and painfully long. Anyways after this the episode breaks and Patchy gets upset that SpongeBob betrayed him, but right afterwards the episode starts working...

Which leads us to the SpongeBob segments, so the SpongeBob segments were a lot worse than the Patchy Segments. They were not bad by any means but they weren't that good. It does have some good points, I enjoyed the songs, SpongeBob was likeable here, it has a really nice message at the end and it shows that if you chase your dreams hard enough they'll eventually come true but that's not what the townspeople seem to think, Yes now it's time for me to talk about why this episode is so controversial...The Bikini Bottomites. Yes they were horrible in this episode, constantly mocking SpongeBob for trying to pursue his dreams is really mean-spirited and unfair because there's nothing wrong with that. You should feel proud that someone's actually trying to accomplish something in their lives because they're so dedicated to it, OH and that line "We all had dreams, what makes you so special?" is one of the most frustrating, mean-spirited and horrible lines of the entire show, yes I'm being serious that line alone brought this episode down for me as well as the other Bikini Bottomites. Honestly if they weren't there this would actually be drastically higher but because they were there it stays at 31. Honestly if the Patchy Segments weren't super-good like they were here, this episode would probably be my least favourite episode of the season.

Highlight: The Patchy Segments
Best Character: SpongeBob
Rating: 6/10

Hint for #30: Breathing...

Back