Paul McCartney Preps 'Tug of War,' 'Pipes of Peace' Reissues

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Paul McCartney's early Eighties efforts, Tug of War and Pipes of Peace, will be reissued on October 2nd, with both arriving as multi-disc sets boasting numerous previously unreleased demos and outtakes.

Both Tug of War and Pipes of Peace feature a number of classic McCartney cuts, including his duets with Stevie Wonder ("Ebony and Ivory") and Michael Jackson ("Say Say Say"), as well as solo hits like "Take It Away" and the John Lennon tribute, "Here Today." Pre-orders for both albums are available now.
Tug of War, released in 1982, was McCartney's third solo LP and first after Wings broke up. The two-CD reissue of the critically acclaimed, Number One record will feature a new remix of the entire album, as well as eight previously unreleased tracks, including a solo rendition of "Ebony and Ivory" and outtakes, "Stop, You Don’t Know Where She Came From" and "Something That Didn't Happen."

A three-CD, one-DVD edition will also include original music videos for the album's singles, as well as an 18-minute documentary, Fly TIA—Behind The Scenes on Take It Away. A 112-page essay book and 64-page scrapbook will also arrive with the deluxe edition, while the super deluxe set — limited to 1,000 copies — will come in an acrylic slipcase with five prints of images from Linda McCartney's archive.

Meanwhile, the two-CD set of Pipes of Peace — which originally arrived in 1983 — will come with a nine-track bonus disc featuring a new remix of "Say Say Say" by Spike Stent, as well as outtakes "It's Not On," "Simple As That," and the previously unreleased "Christian Bop."

The two-CD, one-DVD version will boast original promotional clips for the LP's three singles, as well as rare, unreleased footage from McCartney's film archive. Another essay book will also be included, as will a 64-page book detailing the "Pipes of Peace" video shoot.

Along with the various multi-disc versions, both albums will be reissued as two-LP sets on 180-gram vinyl. The reissues of Tug of War and Pipes of Peace are available to pre-order now. They mark the latest installments in the ongoing Paul McCartney Archive Collection, which began with the re-release of McCartney and Wings' 1973 LP, Band on the Run.
So, I'll be honest here, as a big Beatles/Paul fan, I haven't been keeping up with these reissues. I bought the 1CD 'Band on the Run' five(!) years ago, and haven't bought anything since. I keep meaning to get the 'McCartney II' box set since that's a bit of a guilty pleasure on my part, and the box set/deluxe tracklist is amazing.

With all that said, I decided to stop putting things off and when I saw these were up for pre-order, went ahead and ordered the deluxe edition/box set of 'Tug of War'. Not sure if I'll ever buy any version of 'Pipes of Peace' as it's not one of my favourite albums, I really like the title track but the whole album is pretty weak in my opinion. But the book of photographs about the music video... man, that looks really cool. Anyway, back to Tug of War! So yeah, can't wait for this, especially since he's only gone and remixed - not remastered - remixed the entire thing. Can't wait to hear it.

The 'super deluxe' edition seems to me like a waste of money. A huge premium, over the already not inexpensive deluxe set, just for an acrylic slipcase and some extra photos. But I'm sure there are hardcore fans out there who will want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRQHWEhvQiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5A2qlWORNM

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
I have loved Paul's music for years!

These sound amazing! :D I'lll probably get Pipes of Peace as I'm not keen on Tug of War (I really only like Ebony and Ivory on that album).

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
BeanoSponge said:
I have loved Paul's music for years!

These sound amazing! :D I'lll probably get Pipes of Peace as I'm not keen on Tug of War (I really only like Ebony and Ivory on that album).
I really want to get Pipes of Peace eventually, but I decided not to spend all my money and get both at the same time! Maybe next year. I really like the look of the photo book of the 'Pipes of Peace' music video.

Back