Making the Krusty Krabs in realistic 3D!

Goola

Imitation Krab
Hey guys, as the title states, I'm making the Krusty Krabs in a very realistic style in a game engine by the name of Unreal Engine 4.

To the best of my knowledge, the KK has not been made realistically in 3D before, so I thought it would be a fun project to try out.

I'm planning on doing interior only, dining area and kitchen. Reason why it's interior only is because the KK is a bit like the tardis, it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, so doing both would get a bit complicated.

These are some of the references I have gathered, if you have any references that are not listed here, feel free to post them

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4F273C6B0B6781C8!2155&authkey=!ACAeE1hU42iB7Dc&ithint=folder%2cjpg

As for any project, I do face some challenges which I will list.

1. Lighting. As far as I can observe, the only source of light in the KK is the sunlight coming from the windows. From my references, I do not see any other source of light. This may be an issue on the lighting stages of the project.

2. Different proportions / positionings of things per reference. As you've all probably noticed from watching the show, the Krusty Krabs is drawn in different proportions all the time, sometimes changing numerous times even in the same episode. This makes it difficult to determine a consistent scale for the Krusty Krabs. For this reason, I'm not going to go to the largest nor the smallest the KK has been depicted, rather a balance between the two to get it looking "normal"
Another annoyance is that sometimes things like the kitchen freezer door will be depicted, and then other times it's just not there. Same thing with other KK appliances. I'm going to attempt to depict as much as I can, however.

There will be several different phases of development in this project. I will detail out each phase and the requirements that are to be met before moving onto the next stage. I will also be providing screenshots as I go.

1. Pre-Production Phase (Currently On) This is where I will simply gather references and plan out my strategy of completing the project. Time spent here saves hours upon hours in the actual production phase.

2. Quick Blockout. In this phase, I quickly model the objects that affect the composition of the scene. So things like walls, floors, appliances such as the grill, sink, tables, barrels, ect. Things that will not be in this phase are the pans, ketchup bottles...
The main goal of this phase is to get the proportions and positioning spot on of the scene.

3. Clean Blockout. In this phase, I model the small objects that do not really affect the silhouette of the scene, and I also replace the larget objects with more a more detailed mesh that can be used as a base for the final mesh. For example, for the grill, in the quick blockout, it wouldn't be more than a cube, in the clean blockout, I would start to detail it out with the knobs and what not, and then in the final I would make sure everything with the model is correct and then I would add texture (surface color) to it. In this phase, it is also important to import the scene to the engine and light it to make sure everything looks right.

4. Finalized Assets & Lighting in this phase, I pretty much just finish everything off. I make sure I have the final, detailed models for everything, I make sure everything has surface color, and I make sure the lighting looks accurate to the references.

I'm excited to start this project, and having this community be part of it! If you have any references or comments & suggestions for me, feel free to share them!

As for my previous work, this is my current portfolio:

https://www.artstation.com/artist/rohail

Goola

Imitation Krab
Some early shots of the blockout

2015-07-15_1809.png
2015-07-15_1810.png
2015-07-15_1811.png

sansaranaga

Imitation Krab
This is really cool. You should make it a demo where you can walk around in a first person perspective and look around.

Goola

Imitation Krab
Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know I'm back in action!

Over the past year I was busy with my final year of college, but now I am working at Guru Studio for the production of Paw Patrol and will also be working on the Krusty Krabs as a side project.

I decided rather than use a game engine for the Krusty Krabs, I am going to render it as you would an animated film for the highest quality possible :)

I'm pretty much re-doing all of it, here are some screenshots of the models I have completed so far:

2016-05-21_1532.png

2016-05-21_1655.png

2016-05-21_1836.png

2016-05-22_1308.png

2016-05-22_2348.png

2016-05-22_1938.png

2016-05-22_1330.png

2016-05-22_1616.png

2016-05-22_2100.png

Back