Viacom confirms that a third SpongeBob movie is in development

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
In Viacom's earning conference call this today, chief operating officer Tom Dooley confirmed that another SpongeBob movie is in development:

XLHbxw0.png

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
Well, we all saw this coming, didn't we? Seeing how popular Sponge Out of Water was, it was evident that another movie would happen. I hope it turns out good and not just a cash-in on Sponge Out of Water. I don't want to remain too optimistic about this movie and have it end up disappointing for me. Unless the trailers make the movie interesting, I have no plans to watch this movie.

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
I wonder if there will be a 'gimmick' like SOoW. They can't use going out of water again.

Sponge In Space anyone? (Actually, I would quite like that)

WhoWantsStancakes

Will it have traditional animation?

I wonder if there will be a 'gimmick' like SOoW. They can't use going out of water again.

Sponge In Space anyone? (Actually, I would quite like that)

No, set it completely underwater and have the plot not relate to the Krabby Patty formula.

BeanoSponge

WhoWantsStancakes said:
Will it have traditional animation?

No, set it completely underwater and have the plot not relate to the Krabby Patty formula.
We do not know.

Tstarr

I'm not a Krusty Krab.
We don't need a third movie. The second one was pointless enough as it is. The first movie wasn't perfect, but it at least served a purpose for existing, and was an actual movie. The second one was just a long episode. I guarantee the third one will be like that too.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Since this is still just in development (so hey, it might not even happen) it's too early to tell what they are thinking but it seems depressingly inevitable that if it does happen it will be fully CG and might involve the superhero team again since that's all over SOoW's merchandise and advertising.

I'm worried. Obviously the 2nd movie was made to earn money but there was also a genuine feeling that the timing was right because it had been so long since the 1st movie and Hillenburg had waited until he had a story. A 3rd movie so soon?

Looking at what Vincent Waller just said on Twitter, are the show's crew even going to be involved at all? :(

BeanoSponge

DadMom AngryPants said:
Since this is still just in development (so hey, it might not even happen) it's too early to tell what they are thinking but it seems depressingly inevitable that if it does happen it will be fully CG and might involve the superhero team again since that's all over SOoW's merchandise and advertising.

I'm worried. Obviously the 2nd movie was made to earn money but there was also a genuine feeling that the timing was right because it had been so long since the 1st movie and Hillenburg had waited until he had a story. A 3rd movie so soon?

Looking at what Vincent Waller just said on Twitter, are the show's crew even going to be involved at all? :(

TBH, the crew probably don't know much at the moment.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
DadMom AngryPants said:

I'd be very surprised if the crew weren't going to work on this at all. I have a feeling Paul Tibbit at least will help out, and maybe once again, Dillenburg may help to create the story for the movie

I do hope it won't be fully CGI. I mean it doesn't necessarily mean a bad movie, but why change the animation format? (And yes, I know it's for monetary reasons)

Krystalite

Professional Tsundere
Another movie? If the staff members make it well, then my hype meter will go up. But I'm so glad Vincent is not involved! :D

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
It's not that I don't want another movie eventually - maybe another traditionally animated standalone movie at least 5-10 years from now - but I don't want the SOoW sequel implied in the tweet.

Vivid Kiss said:
Another movie? If the staff members make it well, then my hype meter will go up. But I'm so glad Vincent is not involved! :D
Why?

BeanoSponge

TheKrabbyPattyBurgler said:
Has anyone else seen Tibbitt's twitter description? It gets me kinda worried.
Do you think he has been fired or left?

Though, he could just be joking, Pendleton Ward does that sort of thing sometimes.

Back