Best Crying Scene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataeaf

Outdated meme I know
What is, in your opinion, the best scene with SpongeBob crying? I have to say the scene in Home Sweet Pineapple because of how tastefully it's handled. I also like the face SpongeBob makes in Karate Choppers, but most of that scene is pretty annoying (especially SpongeBob drinking his tears in a coffee mug) and Pizza Delivery because Squidward actually stands up for SpongeBob.

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
spognebob-cry.gif

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
The sprinkler crying in Grandma's Kisses is one of the funniest/most clever crying gags. But the scene that actually makes me feel sad for SpongeBob the most is the Nut Bar scene in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Honestly I'd have to go with the scene of Spongebob quietly sniveling to himself in the bar in the first movie, when he finds out he didn't get the promotion.

Also "Fools in April" for ripping my heart out every time I see it.

Another crying scene I really like is from the second Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy episode. It happens after Barnacle Boy snatches away the conch signal and reprimands Spongebob for abusing its power. Spongebob starts tearing up, and he says in the most heartbreaking voice, "I'm sorry, Barnacle Boy. I didn't mean it. I just wanted to spend time with you... You guys are my heroes!" and he just starts sobbing. It comes across as one of the most genuine, poignant moments of the show. Made even better, because Mermaid Man says:

"Barnacle Boy, don't squash his enthusiasm. After all, he could be the hero of tomorrow, or the villain. Besides, I remember another young whipper-snapper, who wanted to be a super-hero."

omg that's the one I said!

The sprinkler crying in Grandma's Kisses is one of the funniest/most clever crying gags. But the scene that actually makes me feel sad for SpongeBob the most is the Nut Bar scene in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.

I liked the gag of Spongebob in the therapist's office. DadMom AngryPants transcribed what she thought the therapist was writing and it made me completely crack up.

The scene in All That Glitters where Patrick comes up and randomly starts crying. The rest of the episode sucks, though.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Old Man Leeroy Jenkins said:
The scene in All That Glitters where Patrick comes up and randomly starts crying. The rest of the episode sucks, though.
From that same episode: "WAAAAAH! WAAAAAAH!"/"Uh huh ... uh huh ... go on ..."/"WAAAAAAHAAAA!"

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
DadMom AngryPants said:
From that same episode: "WAAAAAH! WAAAAAAH!"/"Uh huh ... uh huh ... go on ..."/"WAAAAAAHAAAA!"
For the life of me I can't remember exactly what you wrote, but it was something like this:

"Patient displays a lack of understanding of personal space. Poor social skills. Shattered all of my glass unicorns. Please never come back."

daud2001

Just Some Nut
Karate Choppers, Grandma's Kisses, or Home Sweet Pineapple
Karate Choppers's crying scene is funny and sad at the same time. Crying scene from Grandma's Kisses is like the one from Karate Choppers but more sad and less funny. The tear from Home Sweet Pineapple is personal favorite because its short yet sad and effective.

iedasb

Crazy Artist
Home Sweet Pineapple, Karate Choppers, in the movie, when they cry the last tear, forming a heart.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Since I'm a hipster and I always give obscure / unwanted / unexpected opinions.... I'll go with this scene from "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy II"

It's when Barnacle Boy chews out Spongebob for taking advantage of the Magic Conch Shell- then Spongebob starts crying because he just wanted to hang out with them because he looks up to them so much. Mermaid Man sticks up for the little guy and points out that Barnacle Boy was pretty similar to Sponge when he was a kid.

This scene was done so well. It was cute, sometimes funny, and Spongebob's crying wasn't annoying.

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=Jx3VPIVaLQt%2F7zHI7jJnTItXe6hQ9ikLwmux6yWRQrc%3D

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=wc%2Bs02riGD1iPj%2F8nrNBmQhaDKLn9ePT%2Bev6LdQDXyU%3D

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=rOPL69aSJqcKfqvJtEM%2Be6%2B99qwqXROo7e1hN9TfBNs%3D

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=dWf93n%2BlxKunDvJgoxF4rnpGs1O2dipZPwWo4fIQFXw%3D

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=Nzc9rvLwD7X3f1bqAVMJuWXimShJjosO5M1f7ElnccI%3D

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=W88IvYXnAzGuuon%2F4hqIfpdtwBYRTI9gwXF4CL%2BFTfA%3D

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=h9wnKYgRHDBbjH26E1n%2FBmwU%2FoGq1yfjY2klj5KXLy0%3D

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=2Z8sXuD8Cz0Yd2RUEnqjnLAdfWyBW1UNOe8PRbwZZ%2FE%3D

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I'm a Big Fat Meanie, because I love it when SpongeBob cries. Particularly in the early seasons when they made genuinely heartwarming moments out of it (as in BabySmitty's post above) as well as scenes played just for laughs.

PS - This is relevant:

Paul Tibbitt came up with a gag that I thought was genius: SpongeBob is crying, which…in some ways, we always tried to get him to cry [laughter]. Every episode, we’d say, “How do we get SpongeBob to cry?” which is so different from any other show I’ve worked on, where it’s “our character has to be cool; he can’t cry!” I don’t remember what episode it was, but SpongeBob’s eyes were like a sprinkler, going tch tch tch [“Grandma’s Kisses,” season 2]. There were like seven sprinkler gags that Paul Tibbitt came up with, and they were all based on the fact that SpongeBob is crying and crying and crying. So it was taking the emotion and putting a silly gag on top of it.
- Merriwether Williams

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
DadMom AngryPants said:
I'm a Big Fat Meanie, because I love it when SpongeBob cries. Particularly in the early seasons when they made genuinely heartwarming moments out of it (as in BabySmitty's post above) as well as scenes played just for laughs.

PS - This is relevant:

- Merriwether Williams
One of the funniest crying gags wasn't even shown on-screen.
"I'll have you know I stubbed my toe last week while watering my spice garden...and I only cried for twenty minutes."

Newer episodes fail in this regard because they would much rather, literally, show Spongebob crying for twenty minutes. One minute is funny enough. They kill these jokes with episodes like "Funny Pants," "All That Glitters," and "A Day without Tears."

DadMom AngryPants said:
You know, I agree. Spongebob is so adorable and "moe," so to speak. Spongebob is small, cute, sweet, and is kind of a wimp. His crying engenders a sort of maternal response from the viewers, who wish to reach into the screen to hug him tightly.

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
Sorry for bump, but my favourite is a minor one from Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost...
"I can't do it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back