Patrick's Friendship Appreciation Post

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
A lot of people talk about how much of a horrible person, and friend, Patrick star is. I thought I'd make an appreciation post for the moments when we wish Patrick Star was OUR friend.

Feel free to add yours!

In the words of SBLaura, "Where would we be without our best friend? Interesting thing to think about, to say the least."

And I apologize now, but I haven't seen/remembered enough of later seasons. lol

1) Help Wanted
Without Patrick, would Spongebob be working at the Krusty Krab? Maybe not. He was the one who persuaded Spongebob to go for it, when Sponge's confidence was faltering. And he gave him a really awesome little pep talk.

2) Naughty Nautical Neighbors
Patrick acknowledged very bluntly in "SB-129" that he KNOWS that Squidward doesn't like him. Despite knowing that Squidward is not fond of him at all, he unhesitatingly saved Squidward from choking.

3) Fools in April
Although it's off-screen, it's implied that Patrick is the first person Spongebob went to for comfort after Squidward bullied him. In fact, Patrick was the ONLY person Spongebob spoke to before he locked himself in his house. Whether or not Patrick was in on the prank.. I can't remember.

4) Tea at the Treedome
In his own misguided way, Patrick performed the role as Spongebob's wingman when he went over to Sandy's place, encouraging him and being supportive.

5) Home Sweet Pineapple
He tried to help Spongebob rebuild his house, and he let Spongebob stay with him.

6) Neptune's Spatula
Is nothing but encouraging to Spongebob when Sponge feels discouraged.

7) Boating School
Tried to help Spongebob pass his driver's test, and tried to cheer him up after he failed.

8) Valentine's Day
Made Spongebob a hand-crafted valentine out of a sculpted rock. He broke it, but... it's the thought that counts.

9) Suds
Tried to take care of Spongebob when he was sick. He did a horrible job, but hey, he was trying. I'm sure Spongebob appreciated it later on when he was a bit more lucid.

10) Something Smells
When Spongebob was convinced that he was ugly, Patrick was nothing but super nice to him.

11) Patty Hype
Again, Patrick gives Spongebob a pep talk when his confidence is down.

12) Shanghaied
It's a quick moment I didn't notice at first- but when Spongebob and Patrick are escaping through "the perfume department," Patrick is holding Spongebob up when he literally can't stand. (I think it's been implied that Spongebob has asthma. No wonder he had it worse than Patrick in the perfume department.)

13) Ugh
Even in their prehistoric forms, Sponge and Pat clearly love each other! (Platonically.) Just look how huggy Pat is with Sponge and Squid.

14) Missing Identity
Helps Spongebob to recover his "identity" (even if he's not sure what he's looking for.)

15) The Pink Purloiner
It's pretty obvious.

16) You Don't Know Sponge
Yeah... Patrick is an idiot, but he really cares about Spongebob, even if he'd forget his own ::dolphin noise:: HEAD if it weren't attached to his stupid pink body.

17) Porous Pockets
Spongebob's kind of an interesting character, because despite his extreme lack of confidence at times, he's got kind of an ego problem. Given the opportunity, he becomes a conceited egomaniac. Most of the time he does a good job of keeping his ego in check, but sometimes it gets to his head. We've seen this cocky side to him in episodes like "As Seen On TV," "The Fry Cook Games," and "Karate Island." Patrick Star is probably the one person who will always be there for Spongebob, even in his absolute worst moments. Even when Spongebob becomes a rich, smug snob, Patrick still stays by his side- and doesn't hold it against him. He knows Spongebob will come around and he doesn't shame him for that particular flaw of his. I just really like Patrick in this episode.

18) Have You Seen This Snail?
Just gonna leave this here...

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=hABjkrfoybf7d2%2FDFLmIhbHpfdzDDbuFrotG8FSN8Y8%3D

Katniss

totally coral
Stuck in the Wringer---

*ducks your flying tomatoes*

HEAR ME OUT. At least Pat tried to cheer SpongeBob up by taking him out for ice cream and to the carnival.

The moments Smitty chose are quite sweet as well. I love their friendship :)

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
toasterstrutel said:
Why. Is. This. In. Fan. Favorites.
Because. I'm. An. IDIOT.

100-Percent-Spongy said:
Very valid points. You've really reminded me how Patrick is deep down inside. I just wanna give him a hug now! :D
Patrick's a big stupid brute, and sometimes a bully, but overall I think he's a good person. I think he does try his best to be a good friend.

100-Percent-Spongy said:
Very valid points. You've really reminded me how Patrick is deep down inside. I just wanna give him a hug now! :D
WHO DOESN'T WANT TO HUG PATRICK??

katnisslovestacos said:
Stuck in the Wringer---

*ducks your flying tomatoes*

HEAR ME OUT. At least Pat tried to cheer SpongeBob up by taking him out for ice cream and to the carnival.

The moments Smitty chose are quite sweet as well. I love their friendship :)
...You know what? I can see that.

I added another Patrick episode I really like:

17) Porous Pockets
Spongebob's kind of an interesting character, because despite his extreme lack of confidence at times, he's got kind of an ego problem. Given the opportunity, he becomes a conceited egomaniac. Most of the time he does a good job of keeping his ego in check, but sometimes it gets to his head. We've seen this cocky side to him in episodes like "As Seen On TV," "The Fry Cook Games," and "Karate Island." Patrick Star is probably the one person who will always be there for Spongebob, even in his absolute worst moments. Even when Spongebob becomes a rich, smug snob, Patrick still stays by his side- and doesn't hold it against him. He knows Spongebob will come around and he doesn't shame him for that particular flaw of his. I just really like Patrick in this episode.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Cha said:
That Porous Pockets moment is so underrated, it's nice to see SB screw up and Patrick be there for him instead of the reversal.
I completely agree. When Spongebob's being an egomaniac, the other characters are just "ughh, this again." Patrick's not really like that. He takes this bad behavior with a grain of salt, like "eh, he'll come around eventually."

I feel like one of the only people who really likes this episode! Spongebob's egomania didn't surprise me at all- in fact, we've seen it before. Many times.

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
BabySmitty said:
I completely agree. When Spongebob's being an egomaniac, the other characters are just "ughh, this again." Patrick's not really like that. He takes this bad behavior with a grain of salt, like "eh, he'll come around eventually."

I feel like one of the only people who really likes this episode! Spongebob's egomania didn't surprise me at all- in fact, we've seen it before. Many times.
I don't mind that ep much either. It's not the greatest thing in the world but it's watchable.

EVSPONGEFAN

Balloon Traveler
Oh yeah, Where's Gary? for sure. I can agree with the list completely! Patrick's behavior only depends on the episode and what the writers are trying to go for in the plot, at least that's my theory. (Most of the time it doesn't fit)
I believe Nature Pants is a good example. Patrick gets so upset when SpongeBob wants to live with the jellyfish, and Patrick tried, well, everything to get him out and returning to be regular old SB.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
EVSPONGEFAN said:
Oh yeah, Where's Gary? for sure. I can agree with the list completely! Patrick's behavior only depends on the episode and what the writers are trying to go for in the plot, at least that's my theory. (Most of the time it doesn't fit)
I believe Nature Pants is a good example. Patrick gets so upset when SpongeBob wants to live with the jellyfish, and Patrick tried, well, everything to get him out and returning to be regular old SB.
I'm not sure if I interpret "Nature Pants" the wrong way, but... here's how I read it.

After Spongebob supposedly abandoned Patrick, Patrick temporarily went insane. He was legitimately trying to kill Spongebob by stuffing him into a jar and suffocating/starving him, just to keep him as "a trophy."

That episode is so weird. I'm really not sure WHAT the intention was.

Leedles

Leedle
Pet Sitter Pat
Restraining Spongebob
Yours, Mine, and Mine
The Card
Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom
Oral Report
Big Sister Sam
The Splinter
The Googly Artiste
Stuck in the Wringer
Patrick's Staycation
Karate Star
Toy Store of Doom
I'm With Stupid
Pat No Pay
Tunnel of Glove
You Don't Know Sponge
Sun Bleached
Driven to Tears
The Main Drain
Hide and Then What Happens?
A Friendly Game
Sentimental Sponge
Squidward's School for Grown-Ups
InSPONGEiac

WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT OUR BEST FRIEND?

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Big Meaty Leedles said:
Pet Sitter Pat
Restraining Spongebob
Yours, Mine, and Mine
The Card
Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom
Oral Report
Big Sister Sam
The Splinter
The Googly Artiste
Stuck in the Wringer
Patrick's Staycation
Karate Star
Toy Store of Doom
I'm With Stupid
Pat No Pay
Tunnel of Glove
You Don't Know Sponge
Sun Bleached
Driven to Tears
The Main Drain
Hide and Then What Happens?
A Friendly Game
Sentimental Sponge
Squidward's School for Grown-Ups
InSPONGEiac

WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT OUR BEST FRIEND?
Wow, must you come in here and ruin everything?

Plus, I could give a list of all the times Spongebob was a dick to patrick.

Leedles

Leedle
BabySmitty said:
Wow, must you come in here and ruin everything?

Plus, I could give a list of all the times Spongebob was a ::dolphin noise:: to patrick.
Please do so...won't be as much as this. And don't even think of putting Driven to Tears, because Spongebob had a reason to snap at him since he was acting like an arrogant ::dolphin noise::.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Big Meaty Leedles said:
Please do so...won't be as much as this. And don't even think of putting Driven to Tears, because Spongebob had a reason to snap at him since he was acting like an arrogant ::dolphin noise::.
dude, you hijacked my "Patrick Appreciation Post" with all of his worst moments, which is something people already think about when they think of Patrick Star thanks to people like MrEnter... I was just trying to do something happy and positive for once.

Leedles

Leedle
BabySmitty said:
dude, you hijacked my "Patrick Appreciation Post" with all of his worst moments, which is something people already think about when they think of Patrick Star thanks to people like MrEnter... I was just trying to do something happy and positive for once.
I will agree that he has done some good stuff...but let's face it: He acts incredibly douchey nowadays, an it's unbearable.

More

VIP
Big Meaty Leedles said:
I will agree that he has done some good stuff...but let's face it: He acts incredibly douchey nowadays, an it's unbearable.
Are you talking about Patrick or Mr. Enter?

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
- When SpongeBob's crying when his spatula's broken in All That Glitters, Patrick comes up the hill and mocks his crying, then leaves.
- As much as I like the episode itself, Patrick treats SpongeBob like he's actually dumb in I'm With Stupid.
- Doesn't share a toy with SpongeBob and keeps it to himself.
- Doesn't know anything about his friend.

What a great friend, am I right?

Back