Top 10 Saddest Spongebob Scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Spongebob is, overall, a comedy. But even the funniest show isn't devoid of sad moments. And with a show that somehow manages to be a surreal comedy AND a slice-of-life story, Spongebob has quite a few. Although the show uses its sad scenes sparingly, they tend to be very powerful.

Here are mine. I'm interested in hearing yours.

10) Fools in April
Why:
The first half of the episode starts off in a lighthearted and silly manner- but all of this goes straight to ::dolphin noise:: when Squidward performs an incredibly dangerous and humiliating prank on Spongebob, who runs away crying. It's one of the few times in the show when Spongebob's crying isn't played for comedy somehow (either though melodramatic visuals or an absurd situation.) And it's really sad to see. Squidward finally breaks down and gives him a much-deserved heartfelt apology. Although the twist ending was funny, his episode is remembered for making us want to hug Spongebob.

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=x32Ewzbid8RKrDPDq55vMKGyKqt9LBc1Oh0af9wb8SE%3D

9) Hooky
Why:
There's one incredibly sad scene from this episode and I feel like no one remembers it. After Mister Krabs believes that Spongebob and Patrick have been taken by "the hooks," Krabs falls to his knees, in utter disbelief, and sobs because he wasn't able to save them in time- he even laments not being able to hug them one last time. There's also this incredibly sad violin music in the background as this happens...

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=gclvLNa9pp4Xs1mj1QleZmzjPGywNBdSF15fCWT20tM%3D

8) Something Smells
Why:
This seems like a really weird entry to my list, but whatever. If you disagree, you can tell me. Although a great majority of this episode is hilarious, there's one scene that always gets me for some reason. When Patrick scoffs in disbelief at the oddly behaving moviegoers, he sees that Spongebob is hunched over in his chair, crying softly to himself. He asks Spongebob what's the matter, to which Spongebob responds, "I can't do it Patrick!" (sniff) "I try..." (sniff) "...and I try..." (sniff) "but... I'm not always as confident as I look! Maybe I should just go back home and hide..." For such a funny episode, this was a pretty sad scene- especially with Tom Kenny's voice acting. You really just want to give Spongebob a hug (even though he smells like onions.)

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=wl0HeaJ0jYQ0FXQIdEfqp9sh6vHx8vMS9WIXtumYeUE%3D

7) Have You Seen This Snail?
Why:
Isn't it obvious? This is perhaps THE definitive sad Spongebob episode. There are a lot of scenes I could mention, but I'll have to go with the scene of Patrick quietly comforting Spongebob, as they're both sitting on Spongebob's couch. It's one of the few times in the show when Patrick is genuinely being a great friend to Spongebob, and it's very sweet.

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=hABjkrfoybf7d2%2FDFLmIhbHpfdzDDbuFrotG8FSN8Y8%3D

6) Christmas Who?
Why:
This entire conversation...
Spongebob: You were right. This was a stupid holiday. (sobbing) I still want you to have this.
Squidward: ...What? What's this?
Spongebob: A present. (sniff) I made it for you so you wouldn't feel left out when SANTA CAME!
Squidward: Well gee, I uh, you know, I...
Spongebob: You're welcome... (sobs)

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=d4DlgjCMgbXjEiYvxalcG6XSK19wsCA41%2F5X0d%2FWq7k%3D

5) The Spongebob Squarepants Movie (2004)
Why:
The entire scene of our beloved little spongebob and chubby pink starfish slowly, and PAINFULLY, dying from dehydration under the heat lamp. Special mention to Patrick, using the last of his strength, putting Spongebob's arm back onto his body, perhaps in some futile attempt to comfort or save him. Not to mention the both of them singing the Goofy Goober Theme Song with literally their last breath. Somehow, the scene of all the pirates in the theater crying makes it even sadder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Uj8sVYnRQ

4) The Secret Box
Why:
For some reason, this episode hit me harder as an adult than it did as a kid. There's a very brief montage of Spongebob and Patrick's entire life together, starting as infants, and progressing to old men, both laughing jovially until the day they die. There's also the "Best Friends Forever Ring" scene. A note to any kids reading this- treasure your friends. You never know when they'll leave.

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=YgsqOU8g2V%2FSs8l9kt3Lpy3KioYDSJODthRsy1NCHU4%3D

3) Nature Pants
Why:
Spongebob suddenly decides to live a hippie-ish, nomadic life among nature... which means leaving his best friend Patrick behind. Patrick, to say the least, is not happy about this. The image (and sound, good god it's so SAD) of him crying breaks my freaking heart every time I watch this episode. I usually turn the channel. I can't stand hearing Patrick cry in this episode. Too ::dolphin noise:: sad. Poor squishy guy...

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=bjuds3SsPCCHUad9F7heuMxmZQIdZnXKTw%2FNDgTkC7M%3D

2) Grandma's Kisses
Why:
What sounds completely and utterly ridiculous and cringeworthy on paper suddenly becomes unnecessarily soul-crushing with Tom Kenny crying it:
"I don't wanna grow up! I want cookies! And milky! I want a sweater with love in the stitches! I wanna wear diapies! I wanna ride in my wagon! I wanna cuddle-wuddle with Mr. Snuffykins! I wanna rocky-rock in my seahorsey! And I want kissy-kissy on my boo-boo! AAAUUGHH!!!"

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=armQ1w%2BDZt1dCmI77kjzdJx7g01zrvS2t8DwwkohIVk%3D

1) Dying for Pie
Why:
This episode was... sad when I was a kid, but it didn't start to get really sad until I grew up, and finally experienced the pain of losing a loved one- someone who was like a brother to me. There's a scene near the end, when Squidward is sobbing and bawling his eyes out because he thinks that Spongebob has died. Then he says, "Well... at least I was able to make his last few hours meaningful..."

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=WMUMrlAL%2FUJOgB3tUDdtZ635pzvbTQZVSfWKO1h5al8%3D

HONORABLE MENTIONS

1) Pizza Delivery (Spongebob's crying is absolutely hilarious and melodramatic-looking.)
2) Karate Choppers (same reason as Pizza Delivery)
3) Artist Unknown (Spongebob loses his artistic spirit, but he obviously gets it back eventually.)
4) Sponge out of Water (it sucked so bad that I cried) (..just kidding, y'all)
5) Hello Bikini Bottom (this was Aaron Springer's last ep, and the last great episode of the show)
6) Home Sweet Pineapple (come on, we all knew Sponge would get his house back!)
7) Can You Spare A Dime? (Squidward crying after he becomes homeless... but he's such a jerk later on!)
8) Patty Hype (Spongebob literally cries when he briefly loses confidence in himself. Briefly.)
9) F.U.N. (The song for its nostalgia, and any scene when Plankton cries.)
10) Naughty Nautical Neighbors (Spongebob briefly crying because he's friendless)

Growlie

Best Boy
Dying for pie, has soon much emotion. I can also imagine either Squidward or Squilliam
ding this as well...could make for an alternate what-if story.

The Drifter

Some person.
I know these are supposed to be sad, but for me the art style really distracts me from being sad.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
The Drifter said:
I know these are supposed to be sad, but for me the art style really distracts me from being sad.
...I can see that. The art style is pretty over-the-top most of the time. The show isn't exactly known for subtlety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOWRVyq9USg

Sweat

Banished
For God's sake, that scene in Dying for Pie always gets me. There's a reason it's one of my favorite episodes ever.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
I'm going to be totally honest: The sequence during the song in Have You Seen This Snail with SpongeBob making all those faces isn't sad to me. It's just creepy. I don't know why, but SpongeBob's crying face incredibly detailed and being shoved into my face multiple times is kinda scary. Or maybe it's just because I was scared of that episode as a really young child. I don't know.

iedasb

Crazy Artist
Home Sweet Pineapple always made me cry when I was little. All the other moments mentioned are sad, but in my opnion, this one is the saddest of them all.

Pieguyrulz

One Coarse Me
BrickSponge2015 said:
I'm going to be totally honest: The sequence during the song in Have You Seen This Snail with SpongeBob making all those faces isn't sad to me. It's just creepy. I don't know why, but SpongeBob's crying face incredibly detailed and being shoved into my face multiple times is kinda scary. Or maybe it's just because I was scared of that episode as a really young child. I don't know.
I wouldn't say scarey. but I agree it feels like too much is being shoved in your face. Like they are trying way to hard to have a sad moment.

Also if you watch my reviews, you'll know that I find parts of No Hat for Pat to be pretty tragic.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
Pieguyrulz said:
I wouldn't say scarey. but I agree it feels like too much is being shoved in your face. Like they are trying way to hard to have a sad moment.

Also if you watch my reviews, you'll know that I find parts of No Hat for Pat to be pretty tragic.
I don't really mean scary, but some of his faces just creeped me out as a young child for some reason and now I'm slightly creeped out by them today.

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Agreed with many of these.

I wouldn't consider "Hello Bikini Bottom" to be the "last" great episode of the show. You never know if there will be more in the future. I honestly found "Safe Deposit Krabs" to be very funny. Just my two cents.

Perry The Platypus

....What?
No, the most recent great episode is Plankton's Pet. (in production order anyway) Another episode missing from this list, might i add.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Lego Spongy said:
I found a sad part to be Plankton's fake sob story in Krabs Vs Plankton. I know it wasn't true but it was cute and touching.

I'M SORRY GRAM GRAM!!
You know what? I forgot the Chocolate Con Man's fake sob story:

"I was born with glass bones and paper skin. Every morning I break my legs. And every afternoon I break my arms."

BrickSponge2015 said:
That's why I added a scene that most people wouldn't normally think about. Although Spongebob's "I took you for granted" line did feel like a bit of a punch in the heart.

Halibut said:
For God's sake, that scene in Dying for Pie always gets me. There's a reason it's one of my favorite episodes ever.
I happened upon this episode a few years after I suddenly lost a very good friend of mine (who was in his early twenties,) and it broke my ::dolphin noise:: heart into a million pieces. Squidward's sobbing at the end is HORRIBLE! You can really tell how much he cares about Spongebob. It's one of the few times when I really wanted to give Squidward a hug.

iedasb said:
Home Sweet Pineapple always made me cry when I was little. All the other moments mentioned are sad, but in my opnion, this one is the saddest of them all.
That's a really sad one. I knew he would get his house back at the end, but the way Patrick is crying in that episode is really sad to me. (Why is it that I feel incredibly sad when Patrick is crying?)

Big Meaty Leedles said:
The lack of Welcome to the Chum Bucket is disturbing.
Honestly, I didn't find the episode too sad. I guess my suspension of disbelief wasn't working. I knew he would get his job back.

However... that episode is INCREDIBLY horrifying when you realize that Plankton murdered Spongebob, dumped his lifeless corpse somewhere, and then used his brain for his experiment. Basically... PLANKTON KILLED SPONGEBOB.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Hmmm, I liked this list! But in my opinion, Have You Seen This Snail was the saddest. :(

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
SpongeyKid said:
Hmmm, I liked this list! But in my opinion, Have You Seen This Snail was the saddest. :(
I respect and understand your opinion. That is a pretty sad one, even if it IS a little heavy-handed. Again, the scene of Patrick quietly comforting Spongebob near the end of the episode, that gets to me. Patrick is normally such a brash jerkish doofus.... you KNOW $#!& is serious when PATRICK of all people is quiet and subdued and actually trying to be helpful.

But I put my personal saddest one as #1- "Dying for Pie."

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
BabySmitty said:
I respect and understand your opinion. That is a pretty sad one, even if it IS a little heavy-handed. Again, the scene of Patrick quietly comforting Spongebob near the end of the episode, that gets to me. Patrick is normally such a brash jerkish doofus.... you KNOW $#!& is serious when PATRICK of all people is quiet and subdued and actually trying to be helpful.

But I put my personal saddest one as #1- "Dying for Pie."
Dying For Pie definitely deserved a good spot on the list.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
SpongeyKid said:
Dying For Pie definitely deserved a good spot on the list.
Oh yeah.
In hindsight, I'm kind of surprised that such a goofy, light-hearted show would even HAVE such a heavy plot.
"Squidward thinks that Spongebob is dying, so he tries to give him the best day of his life before he finally passes."
GEEZ that's heavy.

Tuba95 said:
I wouldn't put Grandma's Kisses that high.
I respect your opinion.

I might re-arrange my list a bit later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back