What did you think of the novelization? (NO SPOILERS)

How was it?

• IT WAS THE BEST BOOK I'VE EVER READ!!!!!!

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It was great, I can't wait for the movie.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • It was pretty good.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • It was just okay, not really good or bad. I hope the movie is better.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • It wasn't very good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was bad, I think the movie will be bad now.

• IT WAS THE WORST BOOK I'VE EVER READ!!!!!!

• Total voters

Supmandude

Squog
I'm interested in seeing what people thought of the novelization, but I really wanna avoid the spoilers. So, I thought maybe this thread would be good to get an idea of how much people like the story without seeing any spoiler talk. :)

Supmandude

Squog
It was the worst book that one user ever read? I hope they're either messing with me or that that's an extremely unpopular opinion. :huh:

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
It's not as good as the first one but that is NOT the movie's fault. The first movie was the grand finale AND an emotional powerhouse, and they simply can't do that again.

So comparing the new one to the first one is kind of... uncalled for.

The novel was pretty fun and lighthearted- it got a lot of laughs out of me, but surprisingly, had a couple genuinely sweet moments, too. Moments that made me go "awww!"

I really enjoyed it.

But comparing "Sponge out of Water" to "The Spongebob Squarepants Movie..." it's kind of unfair. That's like comparing "Krusty Love" to "Band Geeks." You know what I mean?

Supmandude

Squog
BabySmitty said:
It's not as good as the first one but that is NOT the movie's fault. The first movie was the grand finale AND an emotional powerhouse, and they simply can't do that again.

The novel was pretty fun and lighthearted- it got a lot of laughs out of me, but surprisingly, had a couple genuinely sweet moments, too. Moments that made me go "awww!"

I really enjoyed it.

But comparing "Sponge out of Water" to "The Spongebob Squarepants Movie..." it's kind of unfair. That's like comparing "Krusty Love" to "Band Geeks." You know what I mean?
There is at least some emotion, though? That's good. Have you read the novelization of the first movie? I couldn't find it online anywhere, but I'm wondering if maybe the emotion wasn't as strong in that book as it was in the actual movie. If it isn't, that might mean there's more emotion in the actual movie of this one than there is in its novelization, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm looking forward to it either way. :)

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Supmandude said:
There is at least some emotion, though? That's good. Have you read the novelization of the first movie? I couldn't find it online anywhere, but I'm wondering if maybe the emotion wasn't as strong in that book as it was in the actual movie. If it isn't, that might mean there's more emotion in the actual movie of this one than there is in its novelization, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm looking forward to it either way. :)
The first movie was emotional because A) everything (lives, society, etc) was at stake, and all of that was played seriously.
The first movie was also emotional because Spongebob and Patrick went through a lot of character development- and almost died.

The second movie isn't as emotionally heavy because we KNOW that everything is going to be okay, almost all of the post-apocalypticness is played for laughs, and the character's lives aren't really at stake.

Then again.... what sounds silly on paper could actually be very poignant on screen, depending on how it's drawn and acted.

The emotion that I got (as in the "awww" moments) were nothing comparable to how poignant the first movie was. But there were a couple of genuinely sweet, little moments, and I won't spoil too much.

In one scene, Plankton and Spongebob, who have fled Bikini Bottom, are on the run and on a mission. Obviously they're both stressed-out, and Plankton helps Spongebob get to sleep by putting a blanket over him. (Awww!)

And Spongebob (I won't say exactly) does something genuinely nice for Squidward at the end. I won't say what he does, but it's an "aww" worthy moment.

Supmandude

Squog
BabySmitty said:
The first movie was emotional because A) everything (lives, society, etc) was at stake, and all of that was played seriously.
The first movie was also emotional because Spongebob and Patrick went through a lot of character development- and almost died.

The second movie isn't as emotionally heavy because we KNOW that everything is going to be okay, almost all of the post-apocalypticness is played for laughs, and the character's lives aren't really at stake.

Then again.... what sounds silly on paper could actually be very poignant on screen, depending on how it's drawn and acted.

The emotion that I got (as in the "awww" moments) were nothing comparable to how poignant the first movie was. But there were a couple of genuinely sweet, little moments, and I won't spoil too much.

In one scene, Plankton and Spongebob, who have fled Bikini Bottom, are on the run and on a mission. Obviously they're both stressed-out, and Plankton helps Spongebob get to sleep by putting a blanket over him. (Awww!)

And Spongebob (I won't say exactly) does something genuinely nice for Squidward at the end. I won't say what he does, but it's an "aww" worthy moment.
Okay, thanks. I guess we'll see how the emotion plays on screen when it's out. I wish we could get something like the first movie again, but if not, I guess it's still fine and should still be an awesome movie.

Also, I don't mind small little spoiler-ish things where you don't give away too much, but in the future could you put them in a spoiler tag and say that it's nothing too big, but you're putting it there just in case? That'd make it easier for me to start to skim and decide if I actually want to read. :P

SuperFunkySushiMonkey

Imitation Krab

I really enjoyed it.

"Band Geeks" is the simile for 'The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie', right?

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Supmandude said:
Okay, thanks. I guess we'll see how the emotion plays on screen when it's out. I wish we could get something like the first movie again, but if not, I guess it's still fine and should still be an awesome movie.

Also, I don't mind small little spoiler-ish things where you don't give away too much, but in the future could you put them in a spoiler tag and say that it's nothing too big, but you're putting it there just in case? That'd make it easier for me to start to skim and decide if I actually want to read. :P
Yeah. A lot of the scenes in the first movie that are sad, they would sound utterly laughable on paper.
"Spongebob didn't get the job, so he goes to a bar and cries."
"Patrick runs away crying, with his pants pulled down to his ankles."

know what I mean? lol

SuperFunkySushiMonkey said:
"Band Geeks" is the simile for 'The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie', right?
Yes.

Supmandude

Squog
BabySmitty said:
Yeah. A lot of the scenes in the first movie that are sad, they would sound utterly laughable on paper.
"Spongebob didn't get the job, so he goes to a bar and cries."
"Patrick runs away crying, with his pants pulled down to his ankles."

know what I mean? lol
Yeah. :P

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Supmandude said:
Same with "Pizza Delivery." Arguably the saddest episode of the show.

Imagine how stupid that would sound on paper.

"The customer yells at Spongebob about a drink he didn't even order, and throws the pizza in Spongebob's face. Spongebob's mouth turns into a weird squiggly shape, then he flops over like a dead fish and starts emitting strange, wheezy noises while crying in the most overly-dramatic fashion."

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
For now I'll say "just OK".

There are some parts that come across as plain stupid and I glossed over them thinking they would play better with the right visuals and voice acting but after the bicycle clip and some comments I'm not so sure.

On the other hand, there were lines of dialogue that were funny even just as text. Also, some of the best parts in the trailers are almost humourless in the novel because they are visual gags and a description doesn't do them justice.

I don't want to repeat everything BabySmitty said about emotional moments, but ditto. "SpongeBob said sadly" is so undescriptive that it doesn't make me feel anything on it's own, but in the movie we'll have facial expressions, body language and background music to enhance the dialogue.

Back