Ren and Stimpy

Big Meaty Claws

K I D S
Recently, I have fallen in love with this show. It's gross at times, but it's still amazing. The animation is great, the humor is great and the characters are great. The episodes from 1991-1993 are much better (by Spumco), but even the Nickelodeon episodes can be decent (Except for episodes where Ren is a complete ::dolphin noise: ). My favorite episode is hard to choose… so I'll make a list! (not in order)

1. Space Madness
2. Stimpy's Invention
3. Sven Hoek
4. Dog Show
5. Ren's Bitter Half
6. An Abe Divided
7. Hermit Ren
8. Big Flakes
9. Powdered Toast Man
10. Haunted House

(there are other good ones, but I included all seasons)

What are your thoughts on the show? (All opinions welcome :) )

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
Big Meaty Claws said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf521w1VoGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFeUk_q1Go

Anyway, I saw some episodes on Nick Reboot and fell in love with this show after a few episodes. The ones I saw were My Shiny Friend, Sven Hoek (my favorite episode), Son of Stimpy, Jerry the Belly Button Elf, The House of Tuesday or some title like that, and Ren's Bitter Half. It is one of the greatest cartoons of all time. Adult Party Cartoon, on the other hand, sucks.

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
I've been watching this show since I was 11 or 12. Great show; I might watch it again. :D

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
I really like "Ren's Brain." It's one of those later episodes that I think turned out great and also one of those leftover Spumco stories too and I've always liked "Hermit Ren" as well for how stylized the drawings in it are. It looks so much like what Cartoon Network would start doing too. One of my favorite aspects about this show is how much the backgrounds and art styles for them changed overtime. It's something that isn't really that common anymore with a lot of other cartoons.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
Did the same thing happen to you and South Park?
Well, I think I would understand with South Park. Because I was watching it when I was 4 xD I don't even know why I watched it in the first place.

Big Meaty Claws

K I D S
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
I really like "Ren's Brain." It's one of those later episodes that I think turned out great and also one of those leftover Spumco stories too and I've always liked "Hermit Ren" as well for how stylized the drawings in it are. It looks so much like what Cartoon Network would start doing too. One of my favorite aspects about this show is how much the backgrounds and art styles for them changed overtime. It's something that isn't really that common anymore with a lot of other cartoons.
I almost forgot about Ren's Brain. I freakin' LOVE that episode. The science fiction kind of episodes were always great. Chris Reccardi did a great job with storyboards (but Ren was hideous) He and Lynne Taylor NEED a show! Bill Wray and Scott Wills had some really beautiful backgrounds during the Games era. I might revisit the show from the start.

I was never a fan of some Spumco episodes, though. The Cat That Laid The Golden Hairball, The Littlest Giant and Monkey See, Monkey Don't! are pretty terrible. I'd say Marooned but I like the art in it.

Old Man Leeroy Jenkins said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFeUk_q1Go

Anyway, I saw some episodes on Nick Reboot and fell in love with this show after a few episodes. The ones I saw were My Shiny Friend, Sven Hoek (my favorite episode), Son of Stimpy, Jerry the Belly Button Elf, The House of Tuesday or some title like that, and Ren's Bitter Half. It is one of the greatest cartoons of all time. Adult Party Cartoon, on the other hand, sucks.
They need to put R/S and Rocko back onto The 90's Are All That. I'm tired of Catdog and Hey Arnold (never liked either of them). My Shiny Friend had some amazing close ups. Son of Stimpy is a perfect example of the shows emotional episodes. Ren's Bitter Half is probably the best Games episode, it's zany, evil and very atmospheric. Jerry the Belly Button Elf is okay, but I love the sequence where Stimpy goes into his own bellybutton. TRIPPY.

Supmandude

Squog
I just ordered the first two seasons DVD the other day. I was really hesitant to because I knew some of the episodes were censored despite it claiming to be "uncut", but I ended up deciding that censored episodes are better than no episodes at all. I've also been watching a lot on the internet recently, but I prefer to watch things on my TV and to actually own them than to watch it online. I still hope they do re-release the whole show completely uncensored eventually, but it seems unlikely. Maybe they'll restore the scenes if it ever comes out on Blu-Ray.

Also, I may be one of the few people who actually loves the Adult Party Cartoon. The only bad thing I can say about it is that in some episodes, the pacing is horrendous. It still has some of the best animation I've ever seen in my life and tons of hilarious moments, though. I think the biggest problem with it is that it came out too early, I think it'd get more appreciation now because everyone that grew up with it is an adult now.

Big Meaty Claws

K I D S
Supmandude said:
I just ordered the first two seasons DVD the other day. I was really hesitant to because I knew some of the episodes were censored despite it claiming to be "uncut", but I ended up deciding that censored episodes are better than no episodes at all. I've also been watching a lot on the internet recently, but I prefer to watch things on my TV and to actually own them than to watch it online. I still hope they do re-release the whole show completely uncensored eventually, but it seems unlikely. Maybe they'll restore the scenes if it ever comes out on Blu-Ray.

Also, I may be one of the few people who actually loves the Adult Party Cartoon. The only bad thing I can say about it is that in some episodes, the pacing is horrendous. It still has some of the best animation I've ever seen in my life and tons of hilarious moments, though. I think the biggest problem with it is that it came out too early, I think it'd get more appreciation now because everyone that grew up with it is an adult now.
I respect your APC opinion, but I despise the APC because it tried too hard to be nasty and forced adult themes into it. The animation on a few episodes are great, though. Here are my opinions on the episodes. I also didn't like the choice of making R/S gay. (i am NOT against gays)

Upward and Onward- Disgusting. It's trying to attract older viewers with the grossness that the original show had, but it takes it up to eleven.
Ren Seeks Help- Interesting backstory, but it's really disturbing. Worse than anything else the original show has done.
Fire Dogs 2- FILLER
Naked Beach Frenzy- Fanservice.
Altruists- probably the best of the bunch. Animation is amazing. but the saw scene *shivers*
Stimpy's Pregnant- NO.

I don't know if John K or Spike forced the adult stuff into it, but it just doesn't work.

Supmandude

Squog
Big Meaty Claws said:
Upward and Onward- Disgusting. It's trying to attract older viewers with the grossness that the original show had, but it takes it up to eleven.
Ren Seeks Help- Interesting backstory, but it's really disturbing. Worse than anything else the original show has done.
Fire Dogs 2- FILLER
Naked Beach Frenzy- Fanservice.
Altruists- probably the best of the bunch. Animation is amazing. but the saw scene *shivers*
Stimpy's Pregnant- NO.
I almost forgot about Onward and Upward. I think that's the only episode that has almost no redeeming factors. The animation is fantastic, but it's really unfunny and it's an embarrassing episode to premiere the show with. The show might have lasted more than 6 episodes if the first one was watchable for most people and didn't immediately turn the majority of the audience off of it.

Ren Seeks Help was disturbing, but I think it was awesome because of that, personally.

I disagree that Fire Dogs 2 is filler as that implies that it was something that no thought went into and was just made to fill up time, whereas if you listen to the behind the scenes stuff, it's clearly something John K made with passion. The whole thing is based off of when he worked for Ralph Bakshi on Mighty Mouse and he actually said it's almost like a documentary on him. That makes it a thousand times funnier to me. :P

Naked Beach Frenzy was fanservice, but I like that they also had anti-fanservice in it with Ren getting mouth to mouth by the disgustingly hairy man. That part cracked me up. It went on too long in my opinion, though, it should have been 11 minutes like most of the old Nick episodes.

Altruists had great moments in it, but it's way too long in my opinion. (It was like 40 minutes and the plot never actually went anywhere that mattered. It should have been 22 minutes.)

And as for Stimpy's Pregnant, I actually loved that one. Although, it was a little too obvious with some of the jokes and it felt vulgar for the sake of being vulgar where it would have been funnier if they kept it subtle and just implied anything inappropriate (like with Ren and Stimpy's relationship, that felt too spelled out for the audience instead of something subtle and funny.) It was apparently pitched as a Nick episode and I think that would have been more interesting, because they'd have to try and sneak things by the censors and not be ridiculously obvious and spell everything out.

(Also, if it counts, Man's Best Friend is awesome! That was technically a banned episode of the original show, though and I honestly don't see the big problem with it and why it never aired.)

Thankfully John K. moved on from APC a long time ago and ended up doing way better stuff quite honestly and for several years, having one of the best animation blogs on the net. It's a shame he doesn't post as much anymore especially because of some incidents that started happening this year and last year.

Big Meaty Claws

K I D S
Supmandude said:
I almost forgot about Onward and Upward. I think that's the only episode that has almost no redeeming factors. The animation is fantastic, but it's really unfunny and it's an embarrassing episode to premiere the show with. The show might have lasted more than 6 episodes if the first one was watchable for most people and didn't immediately turn the majority of the audience off of it.

Ren Seeks Help was disturbing, but I think it was awesome because of that, personally.

I disagree that Fire Dogs 2 is filler as that implies that it was something that no thought went into and was just made to fill up time, whereas if you listen to the behind the scenes stuff, it's clearly something John K made with passion. The whole thing is based off of when he worked for Ralph Bakshi on Mighty Mouse and he actually said it's almost like a documentary on him. That makes it a thousand times funnier to me. :P

Naked Beach Frenzy was fanservice, but I like that they also had anti-fanservice in it with Ren getting mouth to mouth by the disgustingly hairy man. That part cracked me up. It went on too long in my opinion, though, it should have been 11 minutes like most of the old Nick episodes.

Altruists had great moments in it, but it's way too long in my opinion. (It was like 40 minutes and the plot never actually went anywhere that mattered. It should have been 22 minutes.)

And as for Stimpy's Pregnant, I actually loved that one. Although, it was a little too obvious with some of the jokes and it felt vulgar for the sake of being vulgar where it would have been funnier if they kept it subtle and just implied anything inappropriate (like with Ren and Stimpy's relationship, that felt too spelled out for the audience instead of something subtle and funny.) It was apparently pitched as a Nick episode and I think that would have been more interesting, because they'd have to try and sneak things by the censors and not be ridiculously obvious and spell everything out.

(Also, if it counts, Man's Best Friend is awesome! That was technically a banned episode of the original show, though and I honestly don't see the big problem with it and why it never aired.)
I don't see the problem with Man's Best Friend, honestly. I guess the treats are cigars, and the beating was pretty brutal, but Ren and Stimpy DIE in "It's a Dog's Life" The series should've just been 11 minute episodes, like you said, some of it is as slow as molasses.

I also hate the new character designs. Stimpy is just.. off. his hairs are super long and theres something else that weirds me out. Ren changes in like, every scene, looking weirder and weirder. The series was entertaining enough, I wish it continued just so R/S could exist. :p

Popeye Q. Krabs said:
Thankfully John K. moved on from APC a long time ago and ended up doing way better stuff quite honestly and for several years, having one of the best animation blogs on the net. It's a shame he doesn't post as much anymore especially because of some incidents that started happening this year and last year.
I'm not a fan of John K's other work. His music videos were… uh… just weird. His flash series (with George Liquor) was completely stupid. The Ripping Friends was meh. That "Cans Without Labels" cartoon was started in like, 2011? Where is it??? People who worked on the show like Bob Camp and Billy West claim that John K was horrible to work with, and that no drawing/voice clip was perfect and always made adjustments. I still follow John K's blog because it is very interesting, but I'm not the kind of guy who ONLY likes old-fashion cartoons. I never got into Looney Tunes or Popeye.

Big Meaty Claws said:
I don't see the problem with Man's Best Friend, honestly. I guess the treats are cigars, and the beating was pretty brutal, but Ren and Stimpy DIE in "It's a Dog's Life" The series should've just been 11 minute episodes, like you said, some of it is as slow as molasses.

I also hate the new character designs. Stimpy is just.. off. his hairs are super long and theres something else that weirds me out. Ren changes in like, every scene, looking weirder and weirder. The series was entertaining enough, I wish it continued just so R/S could exist. :P

I'm not a fan of John K's other work. His music videos were… uh… just weird. His flash series (with George Liquor) was completely stupid. The Ripping Friends was meh. That "Cans Without Labels" cartoon was started in like, 2011? Where is it??? People who worked on the show like Bob Camp and Billy West claim that John K was horrible to work with, and that no drawing/voice clip was perfect and always made adjustments. I still follow John K's blog because it is very interesting, but I'm not the kind of guy who ONLY likes old-fashion cartoons. I never got into Looney Tunes or Popeye.
No one, even his close friends will deny that he tends to be a huge perfectionist with his work and how he can have really high standards for the people he works with, so admittedly some people aren't really gonna like working in the environment so much. I've had plenty of contact with him over the years and others who have worked on the show and at Spumco and he couldn't be any nicer quite honestly and gave me some of the best drawing advice I had ever gotten and I'm forever grateful for that really. I did really like the vid he did for Weird Al for example because not many people were really doing anything with Toon Boom and the results of that to me looked pretty impressive. It's unfortunate that there's still this high school like rivalry between certain people who worked on the show and all this crap because they're all quite talented IMO. I think there's some validity on both sides of the issue but you have to take it all with a grain of salt, especially if you weren't there in person to witness it for yourself.

Big Meaty Claws

K I D S
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
No one, even his close friends will deny that he tends to be a huge perfectionist with his work. I've had plenty of contact with him over the years and others who have worked on the show and at Spumco and he couldn't be any nicer quite honestly and gave me some of the best drawing advice I had ever gotten and I'm forever grateful for that really. I did really like the vid he did for Weird Al for example because not many people were really doing anything with Toon Boom and the results of that to me looked pretty impressive. It's unfortunate that there's still this high school like rivalry between certain people who worked on the show and all this crap because they're all quite talented IMO. I think there's some validity on both sides of the issue but you have to take it all with a grain of salt, especially if you weren't there in person to witness it for yourself.
I guess all of the perfection ended up making the show so great, so I won't complain.

Also, I think John had to get some surgery either this year or last year. Can't exactly remember but I think that and how he's getting a lot older have a lot to do with why Cans wasn't really being made as fast as what certain people would have liked for it to be. I had even started to doubt him myself until I heard all this horrible news behind the scenes. At least Eddie Fitzgerald still posts but I was really scared for him too when he had some issues with his heart though that turned out to be alright in the end.

Supmandude

Squog
Big Meaty Claws said:
I also hate the new character designs. Stimpy is just.. off. his hairs are super long and theres something else that weirds me out. Ren changes in like, every scene, looking weirder and weirder. The series was entertaining enough, I wish it continued just so R/S could exist. :P
With Stimpy, I thought he should have had more cute expressions. I think he made too many wrinkly ones in this serious, which I think made him look too old. It could work sometimes, but I think it was a mistake to not try and make him look cute for the most part. I love how unique all of his expressions are and everything, I just think they gave him the wrong type of expressions for his character. (Also, I think he's a darker red.)

I think Ren looks awesome with how much he changes and everything, though! That's my favorite thing about the animation is how much the expressions vary! :D

Popeye Q. Krabs said:
No one, even his close friends will deny that he tends to be a huge perfectionist with his work and how he can have really high standards for the people he works with, so admittedly some people aren't really gonna like working in the environment so much. I've had plenty of contact with him over the years and others who have worked on the show and at Spumco and he couldn't be any nicer quite honestly and gave me some of the best drawing advice I had ever gotten and I'm forever grateful for that really.
I'm jealous now. :P

Back