Robertryan Cory Setting the Record Straight

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Wonder if anyone has seen this yet but I think this is quite an enlightening post here. Also for a long time, I thought Ryan was his middle name when it's really all of his first name. I think the second to last paragraph just really spoke to me and really shows how much easier it is for shows to experiment in their earlier seasons where there hasn't been as much of a set formula created.

http://robertryancory.tumblr.com/post/97840743933/ca-tsuka-nice-to-put-an-artist-name-on-all

First, my name is Robertryan Cory. I’m just going to make it official here so people stop separating it.
Two, a lot of these drawings are close to 7 years old at this point, but this gives me a chance to clear up some misconceptions about post-movie episodes.
I don’t write the jokes/stories, I’m not responsible for anything more than rendering the final design. I just draw. If I’m given a cute spongebob section, I try to make it look cuter, and if I’m given a gross out section, I try to go over the top. That’s my job, and I tried to do it to the best of my abilities.
I sometimes read people criticizing some of my friends as ruining the show, but Hillenburg looked over all of our stuff. He read boards and censored designs he didn’t want. He just didn’t come into the office. There were times I went out of show style and I was punished for it, but I was trying to experiment with new ideas and approaches. I drew plenty of on-model simple designs for Spongebob, but I never saved those or posted them online because this was a portfolio and I was showcasing the times I didn’t adhere to the main model.
Whether it’s Spongebob, Simpsons, Adventure Time, etc it’s difficult to make a show fresh and unique after the first 3 seasons. That has to do with limiting time to make the episodes, having to adhere to a set list of rules and guidelines (where in the beginning, you’re more free to explore different approaches), and the loss of crew members who ultimately move on to try their hand at their own projects.
Anyway, you’re welcome to hate it or love it, but I think you’re better off saving your passion and intensity towards your own hobbies rather than some corporate entity you can’t control.

end

What I find especially interesting is one of the replies, which actually criticized Season 3 and its animation. It's interesting to see other's obscure opinions on the subject. As for Robertryan Cory, I feel I appreciate him a lot more after reading some of his thoughts. He has a vibrant artstyle that very few series utilize. He has the potential to become this generation's John K.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I think it's OK to not like drawings - it's subjective, after all - and I freely admit that I don't like a lot of the gross ones. I hate Face Freeze. But ever since he started speaking out and clarifying things I have become much more appreciative of his involvement in the show and defensive of him. He's infamous for gory detail, because those are the images that get shared and passed around, but he does cute extremely well too.

His movie concept art has all been amazing. The scrapped poster design and the alley drawing in particular sent my excitement though the roof.

hfjs

Many anti-post movie people probably won't listen, but good for him.

Old Man Jenkins☣ said:
I still remember that time he joined SBC and shut people up
heheheheheh

More

VIP
I do love his artwork, I really do, it's just that the stuff he's asked to draw doesn't fit the show whatsoever.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
More_Spongebob_Sandy said:
I do love his artwork, I really do, it's just that the stuff he's asked to draw doesn't fit the show whatsoever.
I agree, but according to this article, that's not even really his fault.

Cha

I love SBM
I know SBC has had dealings with him in the past. Like DadMom I don't care for some of his drawings but I do appreciate his hard work to do what the show tells him to. He's really talented and I guess sometimes we don't give enough respect towards the artists.

Back