SpongeBob musical to premiere in Chicago, open on Broadway in the 2016-2017 season

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
From a late 2013 interview with Katrina Olson, Broadway stage manager:
One of her projects has her working with an international icon as she is working on Nickelodeon’s first ever Broadway production with Spongebob: The Musical.

It’s scheduled to be on stage in Fall 2015. Tina Landau will direct the show and it will be an original story written by a professional book writer outside the television series. It will also have composers who are huge in the music industry with many popular artists ranging from a mixture of genres from classic rock to modern pop–exact names aren’t permitted to be released at this time.

“I was over the moon when I found out,” Olson said. “Spongebob is an icon that has been seen on so many things, even toothpaste. It is such a privilege to work with this franchise on its very first musical, something that has never been done before.”
Back in January, The Flaming Lips band member Wayne Coyne tweeted : “Doing more lyrics for SpongeBob Musical!!” It seems likely that he was referring to this project. :)

tEMMIE

hOI!!!
WU852982_429long.jpg

Cha

I love SBM
NONONONONONONO WAY PLEASE EXCUSE ME WHILE I'LL GO DIE OF HAPPINESS, COME BACK ALIVE AND DIE AGAIN. OH MY GOD, this will be like The Sponge Who Could Fly the musical but even better since it's on broadway! Man, I don't know if I can afford it in a year though... I'm already going to save up money for the tickets, merchandise and whatever else comes out of next year.. (hopefully another convention) It would by my fangirlish dream to go see it, but it's not too likely.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
Sounds awesome... excited to see it :) Hopefully a lot of us have the chance to watch it

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
TheOpenWindowManiac said:
The costumes look hilarious. xD
The picture Ling-Ling posted isn't from this musical, it's from 2009's "The Sponge Who Could Fly".

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
EVSPONGEFAN said:
Woah, it's probably going to be odd that we will laugh so hard, I mean look at the picture and the costumes....
The picture is from an old show, not this one.

Cosmic-Loop

♥♫ The Luigi Queen ♫♥
Far away from California and/or Florida :,(
Oh, wow. That's a surprise! I wonder how they'll pull off the costumes...
I'm sure a lot of songs are gonna come from this; i wonder what they'll sound like? If they'll be typical SponeBob sounding songs, or a different take...

Gah, sorry to step in for another anime-talk, but Sailor Moon actually had it's run of musicals.
Actually, if this SpongeBob musical proves successful, it could spawn a series of musicals. Sailor Moon had musicals for over 10 years, starting in 1993, i guess the last old one was 2005, and even had a new musical last summer. That's longer than the main series itself, which ended in 1997. I don't want to fill this page with Sera Myu history, so you can look it up on your own time.

Also, (assuming if there was multiple musicals), the costumes do improve. If you look in the spoiler, you'll see a costume comparison of... i think you can guess. :P

sera-myu-comparison-2.png

(personally i think the 1993 costumes can be bit horrid... especially once compared lol)
It may be 20 years' difference -- i couldn't find a good 2003 picture -- but you get the point. Plus, everybody knows so much more today about "technology" and functionality, so i'm sure the costumes will be better than in whatever the older SB musical was. :P

Back