Salvation Mountain and the Salton Sea

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
Salvation Mountain is a giant work of art made out of painted haybales in the desert in Niland, California, about seventy miles southeast of Palm Springs along the Salton Sea, created by Leonard Knight, who just passed away last month at the age of 83, as a sort of monumental work of art saluting God.

Here is a picture I took of it today:
5vzrk9.jpg

Here is a picture from the top of the "mountain" looking down on a sort of cave with windows made out of the same material. The Salton Sea, about five miles west, is visible in the distance.

1e5hfl.jpg

And here are some pictures of the Salton Sea itself, taken from a former resort community called Bombay Beach. In the 1950s it was a summer resort destination, but the contamination of the Salton Sea and its unsuitability for swimming and other water sports, has turned Bombay Beach into a ghost town.

29bgfbb.jpg

fksj7r.jpg

All in all, the Salton Sea is a very off-the-beaten-path, neglected, ramshackle, somewhat spooky part of California. But it's certainly an interesting place to visit.

This topic is meant to comply with ssj's "Post-Something-A-Little-More-Original-in-NN" Initiative. :thumbsup:

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
It looks really nice and the colors are bright too. Seems like a place that would be nice/fun to visit :)

RedSoxFan274 said:
It's the desert. It doesn't rain. And technically it wasn't "midday." It was 5 o'clock.
It can be overcast though. (;

I'll forgive you for the 5 o'clock, but next time, sunset boi. :sbface:

crushingmayhem said:
. Especially to take pictures.
I know right

dose front lighting oppurtunites mann

Back