Asperger Syndrome

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Hello Everyone,

Is it possible that Spongebob has Asperger Syndrome? (mild form of autism) He has many traits.

In ''Missing Identity'' he took Patrick's advice literally (Spongebob did his whole routine again and again). Most people with Asperger are taking some things literally.

In many episodes he obviously annoys Squidward (most), Mr Puff. Mr Krabs, and some others. But he doesn't seem to catch on. For example he doesn't pick Squidward's social cue when he is angry.

I know it's just a cartoon. But i'm curious.

cwn

Porous Freak
Hello Everyone,

Is it possible that Spongebob has Asperger Syndrome? (mild form of autism) He has many traits.

In ''Missing Identity'' he took Patrick's advice literally (Spongebob did his whole routine again and again). Most people with Asperger are taking some things literally.

In many episodes he obviously annoys Squidward (most), Mr Puff. Mr Krabs, and some others. But he doesn't seem to catch on. For example he doesn't pick Squidward's social cue when he is angry.[/size]

I know it's just a cartoon. But i'm curious.[/size]
I find this quite offensive, because I have Aspberger's Syndrome, and neither of these traits are harbored in me, and I expect the same for other people with Aspberger's.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Dark Chocolate said:
I find this quite offensive, because I have Aspberger's Syndrome, and neither of these traits are harbored in me, and I expect the same for other people with Aspberger's.
I didn't mean to offend someone. And i didn't say that everyone has such traits.

Sweat

Banished
I also have this syndrome, and I am sort of offended by the Missing Identity one. That is NOT TRUE. And with the second one, it's usually the opposite. Usually, when people with Aspergers get called out on annoying people, they shut down and act depressed.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Short answer: No, SpongeBob does not have Asperger Syndrome. He's a cartoon character, so his traits are deliberately exaggerated for comic effect.

More complicated answer: While the character himself can't be diagnosed with a disorder, he definitely does things that in the real world would be considered to be autistic behaviors and I think many people with ASD may be drawn to him because of this.

Relevant quote from Tom Kenny:
"I hear so much from parents of autistic kids and caretakers of autistic kids, and this happens so often and comes up so often that somebody should write a term paper on it, that SpongeBob in particular is something that speaks to them. It's the thing that they laugh at, the thing they obsess at, the thing they talk about and know every line of every episode. [...] And I don't know what there is in that show that talks to kids that are on the spectrum, I don't know, but more than other cartoons, that one ... maybe because SpongeBob as a character is a little autistic. Obsessed with his job, very hardworking, gets really really deep into something."
(Source: Marc Maron podcast, episode 324.)

Cha

I love SBM
1. When you retrace your steps, you usually literally retrace where you were. It's a clever tool to find missing things. Why wouldn't you check the places where your missing item might have been?

2. He doesn't ignore all these things because of autism. His overly optimistic self makes him ignore all the bad little problems in life. (Except for that one little weird ending scene in SpongeBob You're Fired with him and Squidward). And it makes him overblow simple problems in life like a land creature butterfly in town. Because in his mind, (as shown in Plankton's Good Eye and Little Yellow Book especially) he sees the world in bouncy fun goodness.

Actual autism? I wouldn't know.

Sweat

Banished
DadMom AngryPants said:
"I hear so much from parents of autistic kids and caretakers of autistic kids, and this happens so often and comes up so often that somebody should write a term paper on it, that SpongeBob in particular is something that speaks to them. It's the thing that they laugh at, the thing they obsess at, the thing they talk about and know every line of every episode. [...] And I don't know what there is in that show that talks to kids that are on the spectrum, I don't know, but more than other cartoons, that one ... maybe because SpongeBob as a character is a little autistic. Obsessed with his job, very hardworking, gets really really deep into something."
This could probably explain all the autistic/aspergers members on this site.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
DadMom AngryPants said:
Short answer: No, SpongeBob does not have Asperger Syndrome. He's a cartoon character, so his traits are deliberately exaggerated for comic effect.

More complicated answer: While the character himself can't be diagnosed with a disorder, he definitely does things that in the real world would be considered to be autistic behaviors and I think many people with ASD may be drawn to him because of this.

This makes my point clear.

SBManiac!!!!!!

welp bye lol

I have Asperger's syndrome and I'm not offended by what he said (maybe because he wasn't trying to insult us, or SpongeBob, at all).

Also, back when I was in elementary/middle school, I really didn't know how to pick up on certain social cues (eye contact and tone being a couple of them). One of my fondest(?) memories of the first grade is spraying my teacher with saliva to show her how the people in Rock Bottom talked, which was quite rude and definitely not something I'd do now. I'm sure I've taken some things literally as well during those times, and I'm still inclined to take song lyrics literally, even if I do become aware of the metaphor later on. Obviously, these problems aren't as bad now (either because of the social skills classes I took in middle school or because I just plain grew up), but they CAN happen to someone with Asperger's. And actually, I can relate to the times when SpongeBob doesn't understand sarcasm because there have been times, even today, when I've had trouble understanding people's sarcasm, which is considered a symptom of this disorder.

Despite that, I do agree that SpongeBob does not have Asperger's syndrome because he lacks other symptoms. SpongeBob isn't the type of person to daydream much, which often happens in my case, doesn't create strange, near-involuntary movements known as "stimming," has interests (jellyfishing, Mermaidman & Barnacleboy, the Krusty Krab) but doesn't put too much of a focus on either one and seems equally knowledgeable about each subject, and doesn't speak as formally or use as many big words as l do most of the time. Also, SpongeBob is anything BUT shy and socially awkward, which is what most Aspies usually are. Then again, I'm just relating to this through my own experience with the disorder, and I'm sure everyone's experience isn't always the same.

And, most importantly, it's a CARTOON. SpongeBob's supposed to be an innocent, naive man child (sadly, most people think Aspies are like that last part as well, which I DO take offense to) and doesn't have any mental disorders because he was never designed to have any. It's just how the character is and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sweat

Banished
SBManiac!!!!!! said:
Also, back when I was in elementary/middle school, I really didn't know how to pick up on certain social cues (eye contact and tone being a couple of them). One of my fondest(?) memories of the first grade is spraying my teacher with saliva to show her how the people in Rock Bottom talked, which was quite rude and definitely not something I'd do now. I'm sure I've taken some things literally as well during those times, and I'm still inclined to take song lyrics literally, even if I do become aware of the metaphor later on. Obviously, these problems aren't as bad now (either because of the social skills classes I took in middle school or because I just plain grew up), but they CAN happen to someone with Asperger's. And actually, I can relate to the times when SpongeBob doesn't understand sarcasm because there have been times, even today, when I've had trouble understanding people's sarcasm, which is considered a symptom of this disorder.
OMFG I was like that too in elementary school. I remember when I was in 2nd grade, I pretended that I had a deep voice because I hit puberty. XD

OldFanNewSkeptic

Moby Dollar
DadMom AngryPants said:

Yeah My argument is that he's a cartoon character, especially a children's show cartoon character, so no, I don't believe the writers intended for Spongebob to have Asperger Syndrome.
Dark Chocolate said:
I didn't find it offensive, it's a fair question. He isn't trying to insult us but if you feel offended, I'm sorry. I have the disorder as well.
SBManiac!!!!!! said:
I have Asperger's syndrome and I'm not offended by what he said (maybe because he wasn't trying to insult us, or SpongeBob, at all).

Despite that, I do agree that SpongeBob does not have Asperger's syndrome because he lacks other symptoms. SpongeBob isn't the type of person to daydream much, which often happens in my case, doesn't create strange, near-involuntary movements known as "stimming," has interests (jellyfishing, Mermaidman & Barnacleboy, the Krusty Krab) but doesn't put too much of a focus on either one and seems equally knowledgeable about each subject, and doesn't speak as formally or use as many big words as l do most of the time. Also, SpongeBob is anything BUT shy and socially awkward, which is what most Aspies usually are. Then again, I'm just relating to this through my own experience with the disorder, and I'm sure everyone's experience isn't always the same.

And, most importantly, it's a CARTOON. SpongeBob's supposed to be an innocent, naive man child (sadly, most people think Aspies are like that last part as well, which I DO take offense to) and doesn't have any mental disorders because he was never designed to have any. It's just how the character is and I wouldn't have it any other way.
yup, just like what's been said, he is a CARTOON. He's just a happy go lucky sponge!

Oh, and I do know that they plan to get rid of the Asperger Syndrome label for the next DSM (The thing that determines what is and what isn't a disorder fyi), kind of random, but thought I would mention it. I don't know exactly how they are going to diagnose those behaviors that make up Asperger Syndrome, but that's what I heard from my psychology professor.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
Does everyone here have Asperger's? :P (I was diagnosed with it in 2004)

To answer the question though, no. While I admit that some of his traits can be linked to Asperger's, he was never intended to have it.
He did take the advice literally in "Missing Identity", but that was done more for comic effect.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
I don't think he has Aspergers, but there's a possibility that he has ADHD. I have it myself, and it's kind of when you have an impulse to do something and it's very hard to stop.
An example is in Pizza Delivery, when SpongeBob is dancing and Squidward is getting annoyed. Squidward tries to stop him, but he's so excited that he doesn't pick up the signals Squidward is giving him.

SBRoxMan said:
Does everyone here have Asperger's? :p (I was diagnosed with it in 2004)
I don't.
forever_alone_by_foreveraloneplz.png

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
SBRoxMan said:
Does everyone here have Asperger's? :p
I don't, but I can't click my fingers or whistle and am envious of those who can. :P

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
I don't think so. When I was a diagnosed child, I can't socialize without being awkward. It's hard for me to keep eye contact, It's hard for to feel empathy and I couldn't understand people's emotion. I don't think SpongeBob or Patrick portrays any of those Asperger behaviour.

Back