Elementary school gets custom SpongeBob playground

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
180390171_8.jpg

Enterprise Elementary (Deltona, FL), the winning school of Nickelodeon's "I Wanna Play" Sweeptakes, had their new SpongeBob-themed playground officially opened today.

You can view a gallery of pictures from the opening celebration here.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Wow. Look how nice it looks before the kids destroy it

Does Squidward's front door actually go anywhere :P It looks amazing though. Apart from the random seat in the foreground.

SBManiac!!!!!!

welp bye lol
Sigh...if only I was ten again... :(

(If I went to a playground like that now, I'm pretty sure what everyone's reaction would be. @_@)

hfjs

PatStar2000 said:
Lucky Elementary Schooler...
Except my school playground is filled with 40-year old weathered structures =/

Hasbean

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Aww, I'm well past my playground years and I want to hop all of those steps to SpongeBob's pineapple. And that plastic Patrick, man, this is great. Do you know why they decided to have a Spongebob-themed playground; did the show donate funds or something?

It looks so cool I seriously might consider looking at it. But I have to be a bit of a debbie downer, I'm strong believer in not allowing corporate sponsorships in school including awesome playgrounds like this.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
That's awesome.. would have loved a playground like that back in elementary school. I still would enjoy it :p
Looks really cool

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Local newspaper article:

Enterprise students celebrate SpongeBob-themed playground

NUmg2nX.jpg

The green slime hadn't even finished dripping from Principal Virginia Abernathy's face Thursday morning before dozens of Enterprise Elementary students started climbing, sliding and spinning on the school's new playground.

“It's so awesome,” said Maddie Hearn of DeBary with a huge smile and big thumbs-up.

Maddie was a fifth-grader at Enterprise last year when she won the grand prize in a drawing sponsored by Nickelodeon, the children's cable network. Her winnings included a new playground for her school, a family trip to Los Angeles in March to attend the annual Kids' Choice Awards ceremony and a two-night family stay at the Nickelodeon Hotel in Orlando.

Eleven-year-old Maddie, now a sixth-grader at River Springs Middle School in Orange City, got to cut the ribbon on the new playground Thursday when Nickelodeon sponsored a schoolwide celebration to mark its opening.

A sea of 600 Enterprise students, all wearing bright yellow T-shirts plugging Nickelodeon's upcoming Worldwide Day of Play, filled a grassy area next to the playground for a show that featured music, speeches and the popular cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants, who danced with Maddie and her sisters.

It all led up to the dumping of green slime — a trademark Nickelodeon stunt — on Enterprise fifth-grader Austin Cieslak and the principal. Austin won the “honor” of being slimed for being the top salesman in a coupon book school-fundraising project.

“It's slimy,” he announced after green goo dropped on his head and down his torso.

“Does it taste good, at least?” asked Jason Everhart, a Nickelodeon disc jockey who performs under the name J. Boogie.

“No,” Austin answered before Abernathy took her place on the sliming bench, much to the delight of her students.

The playground features iconic places from the Nickelodeon town of Bikini Bottom, where SpongeBob lives in a pineapple house with his pet snail.

Landscape Structures Inc., a leading commercial playground manufacturer, designed and built the playground. A Nickelodeon spokeswoman estimated its value at $100,000.

The playground came with a reminder from Everhart to the students that “Nickelodeon wants you to know how important it is get out and play. ... Playing is not only fun, but it's healthy, too.”

The fun part was foremost on the mind of Enterprise fifth-grader Jonathan Roman. The new playground, he said, is “very cool. There's a lot more stuff on this playground than our old one. I like the SpongeBob house.”

Crews videotaped the Enterprise celebration, short excerpts of which are expected to be shown on Nickelodeon as coverage of events related to the 10th annual Worldwide Day of Play, which is Sept. 21.

Back