Drug References: Another reason why Spongebob isn't kid-friendly!

OldFanNewSkeptic

Moby Dollar
In advance, I had trouble finding the best pictures, but I hope these will suffice. :magicwink: now, let's get to it!

1)Alcohol
untitled.jpg

In the Spongebob Squarepants Movie, after Spongebob and Patrick consume a large amount of ice cream, start to act really goofy, and have droopy facial expressions. The morning after, Spongebob appears to be confused as to what happened and clearly looks horrible.

2) Cigarettes

spongebob+bubble.jpg

In Little Yellow Book, Spongebob goes on break, blows bubbles, and seems to appear relaxed afterwards. Similar to someone who takes a smoking break.

3) UnKnown

tumblr_luw5vwDyFy1qaqps8o1_500.png

In Best Frenemies, the town goes crazy over the addictive Kelp Shakes. It has strange side effects as it turns your clothes invisible and makes you grow green fur.

If anyone else has any other examples, be sure to share them.
Edit:

4) Marijuanna

spongebobs-last-stand-jellyfishing.jpg

in Spongebob's Last Stand, The Jellyfishing Song is a reference to Sublime's "Smoke Two Joints". Spongebob and Patrick sing with what looks like marijuanna leaves on their forehead while the song changes to reggae-sounding.

"I go jellyfishing in the morning. I jellyfish all the night. Jellyfishing in the afternoon. Jellyfishing make me feel alright." Spongebob and Patrick

"I smoke two joints in the morning, I smoke two joints at night. I smoke two joints in the afternoon. It makes me feel alright." Sublime

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I particularly agree with #1 and #2, since they happen more than once. The dairy = alcohol thing is my favorite. There's that scene in Pest of the West where SpongeBob drinks a 2% "shot" of milk.

#4 isn't a recurring theme like #1 and #2 (it's never really implied any other time that jellyfishing is the SpongeBob equivalent of marijuana) but it's a funny reference all the same. Vague enough that most kids won't get it, but hilarious to the adults who do.

#3 is a bit of a stretch. I don't think it's a drug reference, more a commentary on the effects of additives in food.

Back