Stephen Hillenburg Interview

Patrick NotStar

Floating Shopping List
I just found a new (or at least, I've never seen it) interview with Spongebob creator Stephen Hillenburg. Not sure if it's been posted before, but either way it's very interesting to listen to!

http://www.nerdist.c...t-and-animator/

EDIT: After watching the entire interview, it has been confirmed that Stephen IS working on the second SpongeBob movie!

"Paul and I have been working on a movie premise; the story for a second movie. That's really what we've been busy with. Paul's going to direct this one, I'm going to produce but I'm going to help write it and we're kind of excited about the story (I can't talk about it yet). It's going to be delivered in 2014 so we had to get on it because that's only 2 years. [...] From the first movie we learned a lot because we write the show by storyboarding, we don't write a script, and we found very soon that it's incredibly hard to just write a loose outline and start boarding and make a movie. We finally pulled it together but it was challenging. This time Paul and I have really blocked out the three acts and we have a fun twist. We know where the movie's going a little more than in the first case, but it's always hard ... it's going to be challenging no matter what."

(Thanks to DadMom AngryPants for the quote!)

Also, despite rumors, Stephen Hillenburg has also been the producer for the show since the movie and still regularly is working with the show. He may be a bit less involved, but he is still very much working on the show even to this day.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
If you don't want to sit through the entire interview, here's the part where he talks about the movie:

"Paul and I have been working on a movie premise; the story for a second movie. That's really what we've been busy with. Paul's going to direct this one, I'm going to produce but I'm going to help write it and we're kind of excited about the story (I can't talk about it yet). It's going to be delivered in 2014 so we had to get on it because that's only 2 years. [...] From the first movie we learned a lot because we write the show by storyboarding, we don't write a script, and we found very soon that it's incredibly hard to just write a loose outline and start boarding and make a movie. We finally pulled it together but it was challenging. This time Paul and I have really blocked out the three acts and we have a fun twist. We know where the movie's going a little more than in the first case, but it's always hard ... it's going to be challenging no matter what."

I'm even more excited about this movie now! I just feel so much better knowing that Hillenburg is involved.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
NotStar? I love you so much right now. In a platonic way, of course. :P
This is the best news ever. Paul and Steve both wrote for the original movie, so this is great! I wonder who else is writing. And, for all the stuff Paul has gone through, he really deserves to direct. I'm glad for the guy. It sounds like they're working really hard on it, so that's great. I really hope that their hard work pays off into a movie that's even better than the first!

2014 can't come soon enough.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
This IS really great news. It sounds like they learned a lot from doing the first movie, and are doing a much better job of planning it this time around. That can only (hopefully) make for a more enjoyable film, so my expectations will be high for this one. :D

Cha

I love SBM
This is so cool! Now other people won't have an excuse to not like the movie! I was so excited hearing this news this morning. I think I'll listen to the interview tomorrow. :)

Cha

I love SBM
For those who were wondering, I watched the interview this morning and I can summarize some of the interview. It starts off with Stephen's history like most interviews. His inspiration he got from his grandmother's art and his interest in marine life. It goes deeper into his development of being a cartoonist. Then, it goes into the early beginning of SpongeBob and development of the show a bit. He also explains that he is doing a project for Film Festival, after he submits it he will kick into the movie.

Back