SpongeBob Comics Discussion

Cha

I love SBM
Lol Bubble Bass

SB Comics 6 and 16 are my favorites now. <3

AlexaStar

Floating Shopping List
I looked at the Annual Swimtacular today. It was cute, like most other SpongeBob comic issues are, but I didn't really care for all of the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy stories in it, particularly the ones that looked like they came out of one of SpongeBob's comic books.

I know they're taking the opportunity to show the two superheroes as actual comic book characters to our eyes, but I just don't find the "classic" MM&BB comic style appealing. Maybe it's just my general dislike of American-style comics (compared to manga, comics, ESPECIALLY superhero comics, are drawn rather ugly).

I make an exception for comics based on pre-established cartoon series such as SpongeBob and Adventure Time, provided they keep the art style close to that of the animated series.

On a different note, the Barnes and Noble near me is really weird with how it stocks the SpongeBob comics. Hearing that #22 was out, I went there today, but the only comics for SpongeBob were #21 and the Swimtacular. I think I need to wait another week or so.......

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
AlexaStar said:
On a different note, the Barnes and Noble near me is really weird with how it stocks the SpongeBob comics. Hearing that #22 was out, I went there today, but the only comics for SpongeBob were #21 and the Swimtacular. I think I need to wait another week or so.......
Yeah, that's how my Barnes and Noble is... they stock up the new comics 3 weeks later, I think.
I think you should go to a comic shop near you, they will have it (unless if someone else bought it first). I go to my Comic Shop and I get it the day its released. :)

Supmandude

Squog
Also, there seem to be a few comics that are outside of the main series of numbered ones. Can somebody list all of those for me so I don't miss any? Thanks. :)

Dazed

Floating Shopping List
DadMom AngryPants said:
From Bob Flynn:

Here’s the 2-page spread (a pin-up poster!) from my newest comic in SpongeBob Comics #22, in stores now. This issue features the likes of Maris Wicks, James Kochalka, Stephen DeStefano, and Joey Weiser to name a few. There’s more to my comic, so pick up a copy if you see one.

Really neat! Haha. Mr Krabs charging for the outhouse.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
SpongeBob Comics #25 for October! :)

SPONGEBOB COMICS #25
Written by Derek Drymon and various, art by Stephen DeStefano and various, cover by Gregg Schigiel.
spongebob25.jpg

Here's the description:
It's another swimmingly spooky Halloween issue! First, the Flying Dutchman's undead crew is on the loose in Bikini Bottom-but why can't they get a good scare out of that little yellow guy? Writer Derek Drymon and legendary Mister Monster-maker Michael T. Gilbert may have the answers in "The Dutchman's Challenge." And in "Things That Go Burp in the Night" by David DeGrand (Garfield, Zombie Chasers), SpongeBob must confront the terror of the late shift at the Krusty Krab. Then Squidward's dream has come true -- his rival Squilliam Fancyson is reduced to a miserable pauper, in a O. Henry-esque tale of late October by Jacob Lambert and Stephen DeStefano. All this plus a monster pumpkin, a costume contest, and a back cover by acclaimed children's book artist Marc Rosenthal!

32 pages, $2.99.
In stores October 9th!

Supmandude said:
Also, there seem to be a few comics that are outside of the main series of numbered ones. Can somebody list all of those for me so I don't miss any? Thanks. :)
There is:
Free Comic Book Day 2012 and 2013: SpongeBob Comics Freestyle Funnies
SpongeBob Comics Annual Swimtacular #1.

Supmandude

Squog
President Squidward said:
There is:
Free Comic Book Day 2012 and 2013: SpongeBob Comics Freestyle Funnies
SpongeBob Comics Annual Swimtacular #1.

Thank you! :D

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Issue #22 finally arrived this morning. :D

My favourite part is Bob Flynn's comic/poster hybrid, but then I love all of his SpongeBob comics. I really love how SpongeBob looks in his style and the colouring is always amazing, like it's glowing.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
FINALLY! :D
I bought SpongeBob Comics #21 and the Annual Swimtacular at Barnes and Noble today in San Diego.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Here's a little write-up about the Bongo Comics panel at SDCC this week. I didn't even know they were having a panel but apparently Chris Duffy (SpongeBob Comics editor) was there and they talked about the SpongeBob comics along with the others (like Simpsons and Futurama).

Here's the relevant part:

Chris Duffy was then given the floor to fill all in on all things SpongeBob. Chris showed off some pages from the incredibly talented Jacob Chabot, one of the regular artists working for Bongo. Jacob is the genius behind Dark Horse’s Mighty Skullboy Army, and is a talent worthy of MUCH wider recognition.

We saw pages from an upcoming story where Mermaid Man, Bikini Bottom’s Aquaman proxy, must do battle with a new, Namor-esque Sea King. Chris explained how they reached out to Jerry Ordway for the character design, directing him to draw a cross between Rod Stewart and DC’s Killjoy. All in attendance got to see Jerry’s designs, which had a very “Zardoz” feel. Chris announced they’d be seeing new pages from Michael T. Gilbert, Scott Roberts and more!

Chip also showed off a spread from a story where Mr. Krabs fulfills a lifelong dream of becoming money, illustrated by The Dan O’Neill. Who?

One of the first, true underground comics was a parody of Mickey Mouse entitled Air Pirate Funnies. The book was fun, dirty and smart, and actually a brilliant challenge to the longstanding copyright laws as they existed. Needless to say, Dan and pals were sued almost out of human existence by Disney.

But, years later, Bongo let him draw some SpongeBob.

THAT is why Bongo stands tall amongst publishers. Safe material with risky voices, unpredictable, but always inspired, Bongo may be one of the biggest names in “Kid Friendly,” but they will thrill and surprise anybody who loves the art of comics.

Cha

I love SBM
Read the latest comic and as always it was well done. The sea dragon part was amazing. It was nice to see Krabs and Squidward kind of allies again. And oh my gosh Squidward said "dude". I feel like it's rare when the characters actually use lingo or other stuff from modern day. Not the surfers or Larry, they don't count.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Another write-up of the Bongo panel.

Here's the SpongeBob part:

We then shifted gears to United Plankton and Spongebob Comics.

Upcoming issues will feature a Halloween story, and another full-length adventure story, an Arctic Spongebob adventure in the vein of classic adventure strips such as Wash Tubbs or Uncle Scrooge. And another adventure with Mermaid Man, the character who is quite similar to Aquaman, and a new character who is quite similar to well… Sub-Mariner. Not that they could say that out loud, but it’s amazing what a few choice images displayed as part of a power point presentation can strongly imply. They got Jerry Ordway to design a comedic version of the “sharkskin” John Romita design for Namor, with some Ricardo Montleban and Rod Stewart influences.

This is the point where I really wish you could have been there, as the successive character design sketches ranging from sea-shell cod piece to something approaching a stripper with an Anchor motif paraded the screen, one after another. Just plain hilarious. The five-part story will appear as backups in Spongebob, with the framing story of Spongebob reading a comic which featured the battle between Mermaid Man and his Esperanto-speaking rival, but the final page was missing, so Spongebob goes to the nursing home where the two of them now rest, and asks them to tell the story of who actually on the battle.

Spongebob trade collections are in the works, now that the ongoing series has developed a decent back issue library.

While the Simpsons Free Comic Book Day special was all reprints, the Spongebob one was all new material, making the Bongo team feel like pikers.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
Supmandude said:
Is there ever going to be a compilation book or anything or should I just get all the back issues? Any suggestions for where to get the back issues if I have to?
Good news. The post that DMAP posted above says that since they're is enough back issues, they're going to make a book collecting the issues.

Supmandude

Squog
President Squidward said:
Good news. The post that DMAP posted above says that since they're is enough back issues, they're going to make a book collecting the issues.
YAY! :D Thanks! :)

SandTaro05

I'm ready for 2015!
Upcoming issues will feature a Halloween story, and another full-length adventure story, an Arctic Spongebob adventure in the vein of classic adventure strips such as Wash Tubbs or Uncle Scrooge.
Cool! :D [Insert rimshot here. It wasn't intentional at first. xD] That's probably for December...or January. I loved the lengthy comic they had for January earlier this year and I was wondering if they were going to do something winter themed. Can't wait! :D

The five-part story will appear as backups in Spongebob, with the framing story of Spongebob reading a comic which featured the battle between Mermaid Man and his Esperanto-speaking rival, but the final page was missing, so Spongebob goes to the nursing home where the two of them now rest, and asks them to tell the story of who actually on the battle.
Wait, a five panel comic? Five stories in an issue? Or Five issues of an on-going story? I'm kinda hoping for the latter. This is something else I've wondered if they would do and I'm interested in how that would turn out. I wonder exactly what the writer meant here....

Spongebob trade collections are in the works, now that the ongoing series has developed a decent back issue library.
Wow, I was wondering it they would do this too.(I wonder a lot.) Maybe I should have just waited. :p I'm curious to know what will happen to the front covers and the pin-ups. Will they be moved to the back of the books in an Art Gallery section? or will they remain in the order they came in like the single issues? Whatever they do, I can't wait to see these either, even if I probably won't be getting them. :sweat:

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
SandTaro05 said:
Wait, a five panel comic? Five stories in an issue? Or Five issues of an on-going story? I'm kinda hoping for the latter. This is something else I've wondered if they would do and I'm interested in how that would turn out. I wonder exactly what the writer meant here....
I've heard that they're going to make a story that is going to last a few issues... it could be for that...

I just hope they make a Christmas Issue this year.

Back