SpongeBob Comics Discussion

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Cover in progress by Jerry Ordway.

7hLS7by.jpg

J-444

Floating Shopping List
The Drifter said:
SpongeBob comics is a gold mine that is sadly unknown to the majority of the fandom.
It has its few bad parts when writes on the comic try to imitate the show (like the banner of the first page of the FCBD 2016 preview and the interactive "Squidward's Nightmare" spread), but overall, it's great fun for all.

One of the cleverest gags I remember was in the Interactive special (#41, I think?) in the "Spongebob Mystery" story. Me, reading digitally (since there are no real comic stores near us), I had to GIMP panels together... (The gimmick was that normally blank panels had cleverly placed images incorporated into the comic on the back of the page they were on) ...to see the intended effect. After a bit of fourth-wall hoopla in-story, This was how the whodunnit was solved:

The comic asked viewers to put a panel of the missing cake (That's right, it was about the cake at Pearl's birthday going missing) up to the light. The panel underneath it had Pearl crying over the cake being missing. This combo of images revealed that Pearl ate her own birthday cake when the lights went out. Nice move, writers!

I am also anticipating reading the newest-released comic (#53, Shake-O-Vision) most out of all comics because I think the premise if pretty cool. Plus, reading the comic with the image all shaken up is a hilarious feat all by itself!

Here's also to #55: An unused concept made into a nifty story.

The Drifter

Some person.
It has its few bad parts when writes on the comic try to imitate the show (like the banner of the first page of the FCBD 2016 preview and the interactive "Squidward's Nightmare" spread), but overall, it's great fun for all.

One of the cleverest gags I remember was in the Interactive special (#41, I think?) in the "Spongebob Mystery" story. Me, reading digitally (since there are no real comic stores near us), I had to GIMP panels together... (The gimmick was that normally blank panels had cleverly placed images incorporated into the comic on the back of the page they were on) ...to see the intended effect. After a bit of fourth-wall hoopla in-story, This was how the whodunnit was solved:

The comic asked viewers to put a panel of the missing cake (That's right, it was about the cake at Pearl's birthday going missing) up to the light. The panel underneath it had Pearl crying over the cake being missing. This combo of images revealed that Pearl ate her own birthday cake when the lights went out. Nice move, writers!

I am also anticipating reading the newest-released comic (#53, Shake-O-Vision) most out of all comics because I think the premise if pretty cool. Plus, reading the comic with the image all shaken up is a hilarious feat all by itself!

Here's also to #55: An unused concept made into a nifty story.
Digitally? Where did you get those comics? PM please.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
fuofrLJ.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #56

(W) Derek Drymon
(A) Jacob Chabot, Stephen DeStefano
(CA) Jacob Chabot, Rick Neilsen

In part 2 of “The Ballad of Barnacle Bill,” SpongeBob and the ocean’s saltiest sailor, Barnacle Bill, take on the deadly denizens of Rough ‘n’ Tough Reef - lowlife pirate scum, the sinister White Water Witch, a giant Fish Roc, and the belligerent bully Gangplank Gus! It’s a thimbleful of thrilling theater with the excitement of an exploding Segar! Plus: facts about hungry shipworms by Maris Wicks! Gary fights Plankton, by James Kochalka and Hilary Barta! And more!

In Shops: 5/11/2016

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
r7fWnd7.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #57

(W/A) Derek Drymon & Various
(CA) Shawn Martinbrough

Nautical Noir! In an issue featuring only the colors black, white, and yellow, Bikini Bottom is revealed as a soggy center of underwater crime, suspense, and paranoia. In “The Wrong Sponge,” SpongeBob is framed for the crime of vase-theft! And only Patrick can save him-so he’s sunk. Then in “On the Lam,” meet a thief pursued across the oceans by this one relentless little square guy. And once you read “The Clarinet of Dr. Calamari,” you’ll never look at octopi, reed instruments, or German Expressionist cinema the same! Plus: learn why Mermaid Man fears Crime Gully, see Patrick solve a non-crime, and more!

In Shops: 6/8/2016

SQk1Wh6.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS ANNUAL GIANT SWIMTACULAR #4

(W) Graham Annable & Various
(A) Neal Adams & Various
(CA) Jerry Ordway

United Plankton’s annual Swimtacular is a saturated celebration of super heroics! In “SpongeBob BabysitterPants” Mermaid Man is turned into a mewling infant in a Mermalair mishap. And guess who babysits him? Then comics legend Neal Adams depicts a new more relevant, more groovy Mermaid Man in a story we didn’t have to call “The Green Harpoon’s Challenge!” Also: advertisements for next year’s Saturday morning cartoon cause a crisis in SpongeBob’s life, Pearl has a comic convention at the Krusty Krab, and Patrick becomes the new embarrassingly clad hero Speed o’ Lightning!

In Shops: 6/15/2016

PinkPearl

insert title here
I never heard about SpongeBob comics until after I was probably too old to be reading them, but I have to say these new ones look fantastic. Especially the first one- very edgy and artsy.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
TetzddS.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #58

(W) Jay Lender, Corey Barba
(A) Jacob Chabot, Gregg Schigiel
(CA) Jacob Chabot

Patrick and Larry the Lobster are the “Crusoem Twosome” in a 23-page SpongeBob epic with only a little bit of SpongeBob! When Patrick’s allergies cause him and Larry to be marooned far from Bikini Bottom, it’s all Larry can do to keep his buff composure and rock-hard cool! Will sea monsters, tidal waves, and a distressing lack of free weights prove deadlier than being stuck 24-7 with Patrick? Plus, SpongeBob catches a magic jellyfish; Gary loses his bowl, a new “SpongeFunnies” from James Kochalka; and more ocean facts from Maris Wicks!

In Shops: 7/13/2016

Back