The Troy Walker Case (if anyone's interested in what happened)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubbi

Radical Wumbologist
In March 2007, Contra Costa Times journalist Bruce Gertsman syndicated an article exposing a legal battle between Troy Walker and Nickelodeon Studios regarding the true origins of the popular Sponge Bob Squarepants character. The lawsuit argues that the design was lifted from Walker's Bob Spongee character. The lawsuit drew international attention, and Viacom, Nickelodeon's parent company, have publicly stated that they believe the claim is baseless.
On January 4th 2008, a settlement conference was conducted between Troy Walker and Viacom, Paramount Studios and Nickelodeon Studios at the Northern District Federal Courts in San Francisco. No settlement was reached and the parties were ordered to return to court for another settlement conference set for May. A jury trial is set for June 2008.

Walker's point of view contends that Bob Spongee and Sponge Bob are both cartoon depictions of a kitchen sponge with apparent similarities in characters, titles, and stories. In opposition to this, Viacom claims that Bob Spongee and Sponge Bob are different characters.

One of Walker's similarity claims involves the title of Bob Spongee/Sponge Bob stories. In 1992, Bob Spongee mail order advertisements were published in the Oakland Tribune under the slogan "Sponge for Hire." In 2004, Paramount Studios released a Sponge Bob video with the same "Sponge for Hire" title. As part of the court hearing, the first episode of Sponge Bob Squarepants entitled "Help Wanted" (airdate May 1, 1999) was entered as part of the evidence in Walker vs. Viacom.

Source Wikipedia

Airedale Lady

I am a ghost. Fear me.
Does anyone else find it odd that Troy Walker can only cite the "sponge for hire" DVD title when asked for solid evidence inthis case? He never mentions any other story lines. They only way he will be able to convince anyone is to establish a simmilariyt that goes beyond aone time thing--otherwise it is just a pure coincidence. The only other thing these two sponges have in common is their name.

Besides, sometimes two different people who have no contact can, on completely different occasions, come up with similar or even identical story lines. It has hapened before.

Lyserg-Sure-Dithylamid
Never, Walker should "walk away" like what his last name says! :P

Airedale Lady

I am a ghost. Fear me.
I don't trust the court that his hearing the case--they have made some strange and controversial rulings lately. I think Viacom may just settle this one out of court and pay Mr. Walker to shut up. There is also the chance that the judge (if he has any sense) will throw out the case.

dubbi

Radical Wumbologist
This better not affect spongebob being aired and produced. >.>
Walker's not demanding the cancelation of spongebob. Anyway Troy Walker will probably agree to a nice settlement.

Does anyone else find it odd that Troy Walker can only cite the "sponge for hire" DVD title when asked for solid evidence inthis case? He never mentions any other story lines. They only way he will be able to convince anyone is to establish a simmilariyt that goes beyond aone time thing--otherwise it is just a pure coincidence. The only other thing these two sponges have in common is their name.

Besides, sometimes two different people who have no contact can, on completely different occasions, come up with similar or even identical story lines. It has hapened before.
It has?

Airedale Lady

I am a ghost. Fear me.
This better not affect spongebob being aired and produced. >.>
Walker's not demanding the cancelation of spongebob. Anyway Troy Walker will probably agree to a nice settlement.

It has?

When William duBois penned his children's book "The 21 Balloons" in 1947, his editor told him that the book was oddly similar to a story by F. Scott Fitzgerald (of "Great Gatsby" fame) entitled "The Diamond as Big as the Ritz". DuBois had never read Fitzgerald's story, but admitted it did sound the same. DuBois detailed this incident in the preface to the book.

Another incident occurred with a FanFic writer who wrote a story that turned out to be eerily similar to one by STephen King, even though SK's story was published much later. She wrote to King and asked his opinion on the similarity; King admitted that he had not read the fanfic (and didn't know it existed) but did see a lot of similarities. His verdict was that "sometimes, creative minds think alike." He sent her an autographed copy and the case was dropped.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
By the way dubbi, it's not that I don't believe you where did you get the information? I can't find it on other sites. :P

*EDIT - oh, next time I'll read the bottom of the post, I didn't notice the "Source - Wikipedia" bit.* :P

CashbackLiz

Baby Clam
Actually Troy was offered an out of court settlement of 100, 000 or just under or something if he went away. He refused and they scammed him .

Cha

I love SBM
Please do not bump topics that are so old. It is against the forum rules. If you like to contribute something to this subject, please make a new topic about it. :) Thanks.

Topic Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back