236b. Surf n' Turf

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Synopsis: Sandy struggles to build a ship-in-a-bottle before a big contest, so SpongeBob calls in a little extra help.

Discuss this episode when it airs.

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Pretty good episode overall, interesting to see Mr Krabs and Sandy interacting with one another.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I really liked this episode. It was good seeing Sandy and Mr. Krabs working together but I didn't like Mr. Krabs taking Sandy's Treedome for money. 8.5/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I thought this was a great episode. I like how the writers are starting to pair up some different characters. Sandy and Mr. Krabs has technically been done before, but it's never been this entertaining. It felt kind of like Employee of the Month in a way. It was a pretty funny episode, and all the characters were on brand.

It's actually been a while since I've seen this episode, but from what I remember it was pretty decent. :P

THE LIST:
1. Bottle Burglars (A+)
2. The Legend Of Boo-Kini Bottom (A+)
3. Teacher's Pests (A)
4. My Leg! (A)
5. Squid Noir (A)
6. Scavenger Pants (A)
7. Chatterbox Gary (A)
8. Call the Cops (A)
9. Man Ray Returns (B)
10. Doodle Dimension (B)
11. Spin The Bottle (B)
12. Larry The Floor Manager (B)
13. Drive Happy (B)
14. Sanitation Insanity (B)
15. Moving Bubble Bass (B)
16. Krusty Kleaners (B)
17. Stuck On The Roof (B)
18. High Sea Diving (B)
19. ChefBob (B)
20. There's A Sponge In My Soup (B)
21. The Grill is Gone (B)
22. Whale Watching (B)
23. Plankton Paranoia (B)
24. Patnocchio (B)
25. Surf N' Turf (B)
26. Spot Returns (B)
27. Shopping List (B)
28. The Night Patty (B)
29. Mustard O'Mine (C)
30. Pat the Horse (C)
31. Cave Dwelling Sponge (C)
32. The Clam Whisperer (C)
33. Library Cards (C)
34. No Pictures, Please (C)
35. Cuddle E. Hugs (C)
36. Old Man Patrick (C)
37. Grandmum's the Word (C)
38. Don't Feed the Clowns (C)
39. Krabby Patty Creature Feature (C)
40. The Check-Up (D)
41. Bunny Hunt (D)
42. Fun-Sized Friends (D)
43. Ink Lemonade (F-)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I thought this was a great episode. I like how the writers are starting to pair up some different characters. Sandy and Mr. Krabs has technically been done before, but it's never been this entertaining. It felt kind of like Employee of the Month in a way. It was a pretty funny episode, and all the characters were on brand.
Another review I don't remember writing! Man, this is becoming a trend.

I can’t believe it…Mr. Krabs and Sandy interacting in a meaningful capacity, for the majority of an episode??? Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming. Somebody must’ve seen “Shopping List” and said it’s time to give the people what they want.

I like how this episode shows Sandy partaking in a different hobby for once. It’s not karate, it’s not inventing, it’s making a ship in a bottle. It’s always nice to see characters do something a little different than usual. And clearly this isn’t Sandy’s forte, because no matter what she does, she can’t seem to make a great boat. Or at least a competition-winning one, because the ones she’s made are cool, just too prone to destroying themselves. And this irritates her to no end, to the point where she’s chewing down everything made of wood. SpongeBob’s attempt at a Texasism is pretty funny, I feel like the last time Sandy’s Texasisms were acknowledged in the show like this was like…”Suds”. Or maybe “Somebody’s in the Kitchen With Sandy”. I won’t be rewatching that episode to find out.

Another thing I really like about this episode is the gag with the secret formula. Not only is it a funny gag, but it also is like a bait-and-switch, since it seems like this could’ve been the plot of the episode (a la “Bottle Burglars”), but nope, it’s just a quick little joke. The absolute ridiculous of it, the growing insanity, is just too funny. It reminds me a lot of “SpongeBob Meets the Strangler”. It also reminds me of another episode, but for the life of me I can’t think of the episode name.

SpongeBob comes up with an idea to help Sandy out—get Mr. Krabs to help. And this pleases me, because that means we’re about to see these two interact pretty substantially. And it pays off. Sandy’s no-nonsense attitude mixes with Mr. Krabs’ money-grubbing quite well. I mean, in-universe it doesn’t, but out of universe it’s very entertaining. I also love how excited SpongeBob is about it, it’s adorable. You know what else is remarkable about this episode? It manages to take a plot point used in an infamous episode, “Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy”, and makes it actually good. And the plot point is the whole try and try again type montage, where Mr. Krabs makes Sandy make the perfect bottle again and again and again. This scene is funny, and the variability of the visuals really makes it better. At the end of it, Sandy’s tired and defeated, and ready to give it up. But Mr. Krabs isn’t ready to give up that prize money.

So what does he do? Why, turn Sandy’s tree into a ship, turning her treedome into a giant ship in a bottle! Well, it’s not a bad idea…except for the part where he did it without her consent. Imminent butt-kicking incoming! Carolyn Lawrence is a gem here. And now we get a trope I love, which is a high-speed chase! The high speed chase is briefly broken up by a joke at the Krusty Krab, and I love how this joke was done, how everything just stops for a moment. I don’t know how to describe it. Anyway, Sandy catches up to Mr. Krabs, and after some events, he breaks her submarine. So she’s forced to go after it, and Mr. Krabs goes to the competition, seemingly winning the battle.

But not the war. The treedome busts into the competition area, breaking everyone else’s ship, becoming the winner by default. That is until Sandy busts in, breaking the treedome and the ship, and getting herself stuck in her own helmet, meaning that she wins the competition! Ah, universal justice, you always prevail in this show. And we continue that trend of justice with Mr. Krabs being forced to build Sandy a temporary tree while a new one grows. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

“Surf N’ Turf” is a fun little episode that gives me some interactions I’ve been wanting to see for a while. I suppose I could complain about the fact that Mr. Krabs and Sandy don’t interact quite enough for me, with Mr. Krabs coming in 3 minutes in, and a good chunk of their time together being in montage form, but I don’t have that complaint in reality. I just like what I got. And, I like how the episode really focuses on these two, and has SpongeBob exit shortly after Mr. Krabs enters. So we have learned from previous missteps.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.3/10

Back