133a. The Curse of Bikini Bottom

Mr. Sea Shell

Floating Shopping List

Review: Finally, another Halloween episode since "Scaredy Pants". All I have to say is that there were funny quotes in this episode, and it's classic.

Rating: 8/10

cwn

Porous Freak
Pretty boring to see Spongebob and Patrick suffer. One of the worst of season 7. 5/10

hfjs

This was a decent episode. Some parts were good and some were bad. 7/10

Another great season 7 episode and It was well-writen but some parts were boring actually and I think this episode could have been much funnier. It's good to see The Flying Dutchman again but It is not his best episode. Some parts in this episode were funny like Squidward's trowl being in Patrick's butt, SpongeBob and Patrick riding Squidward's lawnmover, SpongeBob and Patrick trying to scare Squidward and the ending. I recommend this episode. 8/10

LeaderHayoto

Planktonamor
Not pulling me in in the first act so far. "Old man Squidward" is okay. Squidward wants to be the new Mrs. Puff with the wanting SpongeBob's death. The lawn mower is not that funny. Not much to say about this episode. Ghostified is just no, writers what are you doing? "MY EYE LIDS"-Patrick bringing this episode up .5. Spongebob crying is dumb. That was a bad episode it held my attention though so 2.5/10

SecretBox

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I thought the premise of this episode had potential, but the execution was abysmal. This episode had zero logic, terrible jokes and it was so boring to watch. I also can't stand the character design of SpongeBob and Patrick as ghosts. The worst thing about this episode is that SpongeBob cries just because he can't cook Krabby Patties. MR. LAWRENCE! How could you write such a terrible episode like this? This episode would be in the top 5 of my top worst SpongeBob episodes list. 1/10

dubbi

Radical Wumbologist
Very bad, sponge and and pat being extremely obnoxious and disrespectful, not caring about Squid's private property and disturbing the cemetery, treating it like a playground. Squid being homicidal. 4/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 7

Episode: The Curse of Bikini Bottom

This episode is kinda underrated in my opinion. It was pretty decent. It was nice to see The Flying Dutchman back. There were some funny jokes. 6.5/10

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
I was SO close to giving this a good episode in my S7 list. But considering I called freaking That Sinking Feeling a good episode, this definitely deserves to be in my top 5 for the season. The gags are great and the plot is solid! 8.5/10

PinkPearl

insert title here
So I finally got around to seeing a new episode, and it happened to be The Curse of Bikini Bottom. I thought it was pretty decent, especially for a season 7 episode. Squidward's reason for lending S&P his lawnmower actually made me laugh, despite how dark it was. And while it wasn't chock full of humor, I did laugh at some parts. And Patrick was actually in character, something rare in a later episode, so HUGE props for that. But the poor Flying Dutchman will probably never be truly evil or scary, no matter how much he tries. I'd give it an 8/10.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
So, this episode , for a SEASON 7 EPISODE, it's actually pretty good :P

I will begin with what I was annoyed...So the part that I really did not like about this episode is the fact that Squidward wanted SpongeBob's and Patrick's death....I don't think that these kind of ''ideas'' should be included on a KIDS cartoon...This and ''Demolition Doofus'' have these ideas...In ''Demolition Doofus'' Mrs.Puff wants SpongeBob's death SOOO BAD ... So that's the first bad thing about this episode....The other thing I did not like about this episode was that Flying Dutchman turned SpongeBob and Patrick as ghosts for revenge...I don't think revenge should be included on this episode , even though many episodes do have revenge....But, SpongeBob and Patrick's character is that....why would you make them suffer? The last thing I did not like about this episode was the ''logic'' I mean , SpongeBob could not sleep on his bed because he was a GHOST , Patrick could not blink because he was a ghost, they couldn't eat....Well, in the episode ''Ghost Host'' (for example) Flying Dutchman could do ALL OF THESE things...That's what it gets me...that these things happen to almost every episode but in this episode it was judged...

But I did like some things, like Squidward's trowl being in Patrick's butt :P That was funny, or like the ending , that was funny too! I also liked the scene with SpongeBob and Patrick trying to make Flying Dutchman ready for his date, and they tried to do anything they could because they didn't want to be ghosts :P That was funny and entertaining actually! I think I will give this episode a 6.5/10 because I didn't like these 3 things I told you before...But overall, for a SEASON 7 episode it's a really good, entertaining,''weird'' in a good way and funny episode and that's why I will give it this mark , I am generous :P

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
For season 7 standards it at least tries to be interesting and humorous. There were actually funny parts and interesting concepts. With that said it still has that bland season 7 feel so I can't give it too high of the score. It has some good concepts but they never come close to reaching their full potential and while there's some funny jokes they aren't enough to make this episode particularly funny.

7/10

Klu

Moby Dollar
Chuckle worthy episode without any "laughed out loud" moments, but difinetly funny.
There many good lines, plot is refreshing, especially for season 7, my only problems are the beginning of the episode which was kinda annoying and the ending gag which wasn't necessary.
And it's always good to see the Flying Dutchman again. :)
7.5/10

Another very harmless episode. It's pretty good. It has a few funny moments, and not much of this episode felt like filler. That's pretty much all I have to say about it.

Ranking so far:
1. The Inside Job (A+)
2. Growth Spout (B)
3. The Curse of Bikini Bottom (B)
4. Greasy Buffoons (B)
5. I Heart Dancing (B)
6. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (B)
7. Kracked Krabs (C)
8. Model Sponge (C)
9. Tentacle-Vision (D)
10. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
11. Stuck in the Wringer (F)
12. Yours, Mine and Mine (F-)
13. A Pal for Gary (F-)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Now this is an episode I haven’t seen in years. Or at least, until I rewatched it of course. And man, was that rewatch necessary, because I literally could not remembered the plot of this episode for the life of me, at least until I saw a still from it. I also don't think many other people have rewatched this episode...like how is there only 1 page of discussion for this one, that's crazy.

This episode begins a lot like “Toy Store of Doom”, which also has a foreboding title. But that also means that I’m nervous that this episode is going to bore me half to death like the first few minutes of that one did. Thankfully, “The Curse of Bikini Bottom” learned from the mistakes of that episode, and things get moving pretty quickly. I like how SpongeBob and Patrick keep calling Squidward “Old Man Squidward”, that’s just funny to me. And once SpongeBob and Patrick explore the shed, the episode kinda reminds me of “Reef Blower” with the way that the two have fun with a lawn tool. Squidward’s morbid dream about the two playing with the lawn mower is pretty funny as well. And I love how in a way, he was right…it did end with their deaths, just not in the way that he expected.

I also kind of love how this episode completely throws out everything we know about the Flying Dutchman, other than the Davy Jones’ locker thing, by having him live underground (under his grave), and not on his ship. I can admire a commitment to no continuity. And also, I suppose I’ll take this time to say, yay I’m happy the Flying Dutchman is in this episode, because I love him and he always improves an episode. He plays more of a minor role than one would expect here, but that’s alright, because the episode is about SpongeBob and Patrick being ghosts, and if he had more of a constant presence in this episode, I could see it being called “Shanghaied 2.0”, and I don’t feel like hearing that nonsense lol.

I love how this episode kind of just glosses over the fact that the Flying Dutchman lowkey just kills SpongeBob and Patrick, instead saying that he “ghostifies” them. The way that SpongeBob and Patrick are just overjoyed about it, to the Dutchman’s dismay, is pretty funny, and very in-character, especially during this era where SpongeBob and Patrick really could not give a single crap about anything, which they are so real for. With the way that Squidward reacts to SpongeBob and Patrick trying to haunt him, I like to think that this episode takes place after “Pranks A Lot”, so he doesn’t believe them because of that. Also, he’s seen a lot weirder stuff than that.

I also really enjoy how this episode plays a lot with the idea of ghostly appearances and abilities, such as SpongeBob’s inconsistent tangibility, or Patrick’s example of how transluscentness doesn’t exactly work in ghosts’ favor lol. I think this made the episode a lot more enjoyable and creative. Also, the way SpongeBob just breaks his spatula is really funny to me, especially in light of an episode like “All That Glitters”. Once SpongeBob and Patrick go back crying to the Flying Dutchman, I loved the cutaway gag with Squidward, that was great and reminded me of the joke from “Just One Bite”. I think that was probably the most memorable joke of the episode.

The way the episode just kind of switches gears by having SpongeBob and Patrick realize the perils of their situation kinda early, and so then give the Flying Dutchman a makeover to try and fix things, was a good idea, I think. It keeps it from being completely predictable, and also adds a few more elements of humor by having these scenes that are outside the typical structure of a plot like this. And I also like that this episode basically ends on an epilogue, as I love when episodes have these. I like how this part basically implies that SpongeBob, Patrick, and the Flying Dutchman are friends now, just like “Ghost Host”. The ending gag of the episode was pretty funny too, and quite unexpected.

“The Curse of Bikini Bottom” was a really good, funny episode. I’d say it’s very underrated, but also very understated in its comedy. I also think the interesting premise of SpongeBob and Patrick being turned into ghosts was done very well, but also could’ve been played with even more. But I just love when episodes fully go into neat ideas, and sometimes it can be better to play it safe. This episode was also one of those ones that used other main characters effectively, even when they’re not the focus. I’m talking about Squidward and Mr. Krabs here. I feel like that hasn’t been happening as much lately, but I could also be making that up lol.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.7/10

Back